How much is a Lenz DCC system worth these days?

dan_the_v8man

I'll venture a fiver on that lot. ;-)

I think you need to decribe what age and software version they are on. I'd guess circa two thirds of present retail if inside the ten year warranty, half if outside the warranty. On your side, present availability appears limited, so there could be buyers looking .

To be honest I've no idea what software version it is, I'm assuming I can find that on the handset? its about 5 years old but its been sat in the loft unused for nearly all of that!

I've spent as little as $100CDN for a (used) full V3.6 Set 100 with two additional LH90s and an LV102 booster, but this is in Canada with almost no Lenz market penetration*. The retailer just wanted to get rid of it. I actually offered the $100 for the two LH90s and he said 'Sure, if you take the rest as well...'. Right time and right place.

*I know of four Lenz Set 100s in the Toronto area (although there must be more), and I own three of them.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

To be honest I've no idea what software version it is, I'm assuming I can find that on the handset? its about 5 years old but its been sat in the loft unused for nearly all of that!

If it's no more than 5 years old then it's almost certainly on the latest firmware which is level 3.6.   To verify this, plug the LH100 handset into the back of the LZV100, power on and then on the handset press F , 9 and then 8. Hopefully it should then display LZV  36. 

• RMweb Gold

without going into a 'my system is better than yours' argument/discussion i'd recommend getting the lenz wifi adapter/cheap router and touchcab app (assuming you have an ios device)

i was considering getting the Z21 system but as i like my lenz 100 went down that route instead and i love it

without going into a 'my system is better than yours' argument/discussion i'd recommend getting the lenz wifi adapter/cheap router and touchcab app (assuming you have an ios device)

I also currently have a Lenz Set 100

I purchase a Li-USB a few years ago, but it wouldn't work

Turned out it was due to both the LZV100 and LH100 on v3.5 and as the retailer had not mentioned v3.6 was required, so gave me a full refund

The latest USB connector also requires v3.6

Therefore the OP needs to check if the LZV100 has v3.6

If the LZV100 displays v3.5 then I would assume so do the handsets

The LZV100 upgrade is available, but I have been waiting about 3 years for the LH100 upgrade to become available again

The LZV100 upgrade is free, but the LH100 is about £50

The USB connector is £150, so the total comes to £200

I decided to cut my losses last week and purchased the SPROG 3, and a new laptop

My Lenz Set 100 will appear on eBay UK next week, I expect to achieve about £50, allowing for seller costs

Given I paid about £200 I am not bothered

• RMweb Gold

i tried the usb adapter and laptop, couldnt get enthusiastic about it to be honest, i just like driving the trains, didnt fancy staring at a computer screen so i binned it

the wireless LAN/USB adapter is much better for what i wanted to do, i managed to source it from germany at about £97 (with free postage to the uk) but as you say its all academic if the OP has the older firmware

i tried the usb adapter and laptop, couldnt get enthusiastic about it to be honest, i just like driving the trains, didnt fancy staring at a computer screen so i binned it

I have two old iPhone 3GS and D-Link router

Once the laptop has JMRI installed it will pretty much just run the software in the background

Control will be made on either of the iPhone

• RMweb Premium

So you stare at an iPhone which is just another computer screen instead :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

So you stare at an iPhone which is just another computer screen instead :jester:

Keith

i knew someone would point that out!

what i meant was with the "mobile device" i still have the freedom still wander round, even go outside the shed and still be able to control the trains and points etc from the doorway

• RMweb Premium

I'd considered doing that too, but decided against the phone/tablet idea because its not intuitive, in that you need to look at it.  For the same reason, my push-button LH100 rarely gets used, as I much prefer the LH90-style dial and toggle switch, you never need to look at it, and can watch the trains. 

On the other hand, if all my points, signals and routes were DCC operated, I probably would use a tablet rather than a fixed control panel, as it would be cheaper (I already have one) and you'd probably need to look at it anyway to set a route, whether its a screen or a panel. 

Given its age, update it to the latest version (or have it done) before any thoughts of selling it. In fact, it might be a good idea not to sell it at all, even if you switch to a Roco Z21. It's wise to keep a backup system, just in case ;) Actually, you can use the handsets if you "splash out" on a Lenz LA152 Adapter with your Z21. I did so too, very useful :yes: (actually, I have 3: one each planned for each return loop I'm building for the club, and a spare, but I might forego mounting it on one loop)

Tell me more! I was considering keeping it as a spare anyway and if I can use the handsets I'm sold! I already have the adapter too

Simple: use the supplied cable (from the adapter) and connect it to one of the Lenz bus connectors in the Z21. The LH100 then goes into the adapter and bob's yer uncle :) When I last tried it, programming wasn't possible, but later S/W releases may have solved this (didn't try yet).

(I wanted to attach one of Roco's PDF's on the Z21 and its connectors, but the system is limited to 1MB and the file is well over 19MB :rolleyes: So surf to the Z21 website and locate the file(s) in the Download area!)

To be honest the lack of programming is no great loss, its one of the things that I like about the Z21, having meaningful menus as opposed doing it all with an LED display

How do you find the lenz units?

Relatively simple to use, bulletproof, does what it says on the tin.

I use my Lenz gear in preference to both the MRC and NCE units I have. Having used Digitrax controllers, I have never been tempted to change to them despite the much larger pool of people who know them and the much easier availability.

Adrian

How do you find the lenz units?

And again, seemingly bulletproof in use, two factors that initially sold me on this product:

Excellent documentation that tells you everything, well written and indexed, certainly the best authored of any available at the time I was making my decision. 

The handset is compact enough for single handed operation, leaving the other paw free for a bevy or a shunting pole.

Twelve years in, near daily use, not a problem. Has glitched once, it failed to come out of programme track mode and return to normal operation in 2010. Powering off and back on sorted it. (That's how dependable it is, I remember that one glitch.)

• RMweb Premium

When I bought my Lenz system I had been looking/learning about DCC systems for a year or more, I even nearly bought a Dynamis.

In the end it was down to a choice betwen Digitrax or Lenz

Lenz had two systems, (90 & 100) Digitrax three (Zephyr, Super Chief and Super Empire Builder.)

As the Lenz was the same price as the mid range Digitrax system but did as much as the top system (more or less!) I went for Lenz.

Never looked back, but I do wish they would update their product line more quickly. IMHO It is now a little dated.

I like the fact that LDT do kits for the RS bus and have built quite a few.

Keith

Archived