NEW DCC sound COMING SOON!

gooderz

Heres a WIP video of the cold start, shutdown and warm start.

Cold start is virtually there, shutdown and warm start require work. i think another 2 weeks and it'll be completed all being well.

Always love the cold starts on  your projects , always very convincing !

Always love the cold starts on  your projects , always very convincing !

Thanks.

In my opinion, a cold start is essential to truly represent a diesel locomotive

The Class 20 has slightly more than 6 throttle positions

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice sounds.  Please let us know when this will be available for purchase, and where from please.

Now available via the Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway. We have them listed on our ebay shop (the railway has charity status on Ebay).

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Apologies for going back to an older project, but here is the 37/0 again, this time installed in an Farish 2mm scale model. Just need to work out what CV I need to dim the cab lighting a little!

But its really good stuff, with the rather rough sound of the 37/0, and I do hope that these excellent sound projects add to the funds of the Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway (haven't visited this railway yet, but its on my "to do" list).

https://youtu.be/IU3XIC65MDw

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by MR PJ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jamie,

I recently bought your Western project for one of my Dapol Locos and having tried most of the competition (all very good in their own right) for me, yours captures the 1000's the best, a really superb job.

I have a further six locos to equip, but by the looks of things, the 21-pin decoders are out of stock at the moment, any idea when there are likely to be more available again?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hi Jamie,

I recently bought your Western project for one of my Dapol Locos and having tried most of the competition (all very good in their own right) for me, yours captures the 1000's the best, a really superb job.

I have a further six locos to equip, but by the looks of things, the 21-pin decoders are out of stock at the moment, any idea when there are likely to be more available again?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the kind words. 

21 pins are back in stock as they have arrived this morning. However, there will be a delay getting them on ebay due to the Chinnor volunteer who manages our ebay has gone on holiday.

If you'd like one pretty soon, if you pm me, I can provide you with the Railway's paypal and we can do it that way.

Cheers

Jamie

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

Thanks for the kind words. 

21 pins are back in stock as they have arrived this morning. However, there will be a delay getting them on ebay due to the Chinnor volunteer who manages our ebay has gone on holiday.

If you'd like one pretty soon, if you pm me, I can provide you with the Railway's paypal and we can do it that way.

Cheers

Jamie

Just installed the Western chip  - wow Jamie - just wow! The Dapol recommended speaker doesnt really do it justice (too much treble and not enough base).I have been trying various Zimo dumbo's with better results but it sounds amazing with an Earth Mover. I'm going to see if I can squeeze the EM2 in by removing the plastic speaker holder and paring the speaker down as far as possible. Wish me luck ;)

• Like 1

Just installed the Western chip  - wow Jamie - just wow! The Dapol recommended speaker doesnt really do it justice (too much treble and not enough base).I have been trying various Zimo dumbo's with better results but it sounds amazing with an Earth Mover. I'm going to see if I can squeeze the EM2 in by removing the plastic speaker holder and paring the speaker down as far as possible. Wish me luck ;)

Mike 

If you look at page 4 of the ' Legomanbiffo earth mover fitting questions 'thread , you will see that 'Woodys' of this parish has done just that with photos to boot !

Regards ,

Albie.

Edited by Albie the plumber

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick note to say I recently purchased Jamie's Class 50 project and I am very impressed - highly recommended - when combined with an Earth Mover 2 speaker it produces the distinctive "Dub Dub" I remember so well. Importantly the driving experience is responsive and variable. Excellent work so if like me you usually stick to one provider of DCC chips, give Jamie a try - you won't be disappointed. 

Bruce 

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone fitted an earth mover speaker to a steam outline loco? They sound interesting.

. Yes I have fitted one into a WD 2-8-0. You pretty much have to gut the tender of all internal gubbins and then significantly open up the holes in the base for the sound to escape. It is easy to do though on the WD because Bachmann use a fairly soft plastic that is easy to pare.

The vibration produced by these speakers is significant and I have had to turn the volume right down to prevent rattle and sound distortion. The bass produced is excellent, however. When run alongside a sister WD fitted with the same sound file but a 28x40 cone speaker, the EM2 has a gruffer chuff but less hiss, it seems to lose some of the higher frequency sounds. I think the 28x40 produces the more balanced sound in a single speaker configuration. I have not tried a twin speaker installation yet... I suspect that an EM2 in the tender and sugar lump in the locomotive would be an impressive combination, but obviously there would be only a few models that could accommodate this fitting. An alternative, given that our ears are less sensitive to the source location of bass, might be to install the EM2 in a companion wagon, this would work if you are running trains in a fixed rake. But I haven’t tried that yet.

I’m sure that Charlie/Biff can provide more info!

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone fitted an earth mover speaker to a steam outline loco? They sound interesting.

Fitted one in the tender of an 8F with locoman sounds. I concur with Chamby - there is a lot of vibration though the 'woof' is magnificent. Needs the volume turning down and further tests. I did hook the EM2 to a SWD Jubilee project but it sounded awful - very distorted. Best result I have had with an EM2 is with Gooderz's Western project - truly awesome!

Edited by MikeParkin65

Vibration is a significant factor which I have taken on board. I have come across this when whistles have lost their purity and some CV values have had to be adjusted either at the whistle itself in total volume. Since returning to 4mm scale last January, I have been looking for steam soundfiles with a deep exhaust regardless of where the recordings came from and also speakers that delivered a decent bass. I have been pleasantly surprised by some Cube speakers which fit on cab footplates or in bunkers along their slightly larger brothers that do not entail gutting the whole of the inside of a Tender including weights. I'm getting there but it has been a lengthy process.

Purists think only a recording off a Duchess will do for a Duchess. Well that's up to them. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Further to my post above and after main hours of hacksaw work I have fitted my Earth mover to the Hornby Class 50 with Jamie's sounds.

A little video of a static test hopefully gives you the flavour of what can be achieved.

Bruce 

• Like 1

Further to my post above and after main hours of hacksaw work I have fitted my Earth mover to the Hornby Class 50 with Jamie's sounds.

A little video of a static test hopefully gives you the flavour of what can be achieved.

Wow, that speaker really does do the business.