Basingstoke show 13/14th March 2010

eldavo

• RMweb Premium

I've been told that the running sequence planned for Cramdin is more akin to a carefully choreographed ballet than a model railway display........

Carefully modelled along the lines of the "Dance of the hours" sequence from Disney's Fantasia!

Cheers

Dave

I'll be taking 'Kuppla Yard' along to this show. Had a great time at Abingdon last week, and met a load of new friends. Was very impressed with 'Gilbert Junction'. If any of you guys reading this are coming to Basingstoke stop by and say Hi

DaveB

• RMweb Gold

Both my kids want to go, so fingers crossed Sunday will be down to Rushall Farm for lambing, have a picnic and then on to Basingstoke for the exhibition.

Amazingly my wife has agreed to this on Mothers day.

I will be there on Saturday afternoon with the boys. Does anyone know if there will be any traders there selling precision paints (before I shell out for postage).

There's a list of the traders on the club website. Why don't you take a look through and check against their websites to see who stocks it. Then give one that does a call and ask them to take along exactly what you want. After all there's no guarantee that a trader who stocks that paint will necessarilly take a supply along to the exhibition to sell there.

G.

• RMweb Gold

I shall be there on Saturday with eldavo on Cramdin. He needs someone to keep an eye on him. Dance of the Hours, his carefully planned movement sequence on Cramdin, is, at the very least a duet. I will be humming, he will be singing. We are not expecting many onlookers.

It's quite a way from the station to the College/School, but the Club provides a free vintage bus I believe - but please verify this via their website. If walking it would take about three weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you enjoy the show, as it's usually pretty good. (usual disclaimer)

It's quite a way from the station to the College/School, but the Club provides a free vintage bus I believe - but please verify this via their website. If walking it would take about three weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you enjoy the show, as it's usually pretty good. (usual disclaimer)

No mention of a vintage bus, I have to do a cetain amount of exercise as part of my 'rehabilitation' so may build this in as part of my day.

Well it must have been a good show because I arrived there this morning and both the car park and the overflow (and yes even the "exhibitors" car par were full and the "guards" on the access roads were sending folk off for miles into some dubious estate. :( I couldn't believe it - have not had a parking problem with this show over the several years that I have been going.

I wasted journey that will not be repeated again :(

This seems to be an ever more common problem with MRS not providing sufficient parking or parking within a reasonable distance. I don't mind parking at a distance if a ferry bus is provided.

On my way home now, quite a good show when I got there.

Decided to walk there and bus back.

Couldn't find any signs at all except one which appeared to point into a playing field!

A bit further up the road there was an entrance but didn't seem to have any signs by it!!

Anyway, quite an enjoyable couple of hours,resisted the 37s at £29.99, decided to get the bus back to the station,WRONG!

It would seem that the buses only go in one direction and there is no information on the bus stops. unless you are local and know where you are going you don't stand a chance.

Gave up in the end and walked it. I had left enough time to go to Portsmouth as well, but having taken over an hour messing around, had to give that one a miss, too kn***ered now anyway!

Not every one comes by car, although on my walk I met up with someone who'd parked his car and decided to walk, so awkward was it to find the entrance. If a bit more info could be put on the website, instead of just links to a bus company, it would be a great help.

I made the trek because it only cost me my cross London fare, so I had hoped to get to Portsmouth as well.

• RMweb Premium

Well it must have been a good show because I arrived there this morning and both the car park and the overflow (and yes even the "exhibitors" car par were full............I wasted journey that will not be repeated again :(

Thanks for the warning, much appreciated! :icon_thumbsup2:

and the "guards" on the access roads were sending folk off for miles into some dubious estate. :(

Basingstoke? Dubious? Well, come to think of it........

This seems to be an ever more common problem with MRS not providing sufficient parking or parking within a reasonable distance. I don't mind parking at a distance if a ferry bus is provided.

Indeed. There are also other shows around which I no longer visit for the same reason. Presumably that decision means that someone else can park where I would have! It is rotton having driven a long way and being unable to park close enough to the venue to have a comfortable visit (or even be sent so far away as to not know the way back to the show).

Hope to see the show tomorrow! But I'll have to think of a suitable hostelry to visit instead if I can't park.

Dave

Kenton, if that's your idea of a dubious estate, you've lived a sheltered life and avoided large parts of Reading* (or indeed where the Southampton MRS show used to be - which isn't that dubious either) ;)

Still, it was a nice afternoon for a walk, even in Basingstoke, and a perfectly good show at the end of it.

Adam

* for example.

Popped in yesterday and stayed 3-1/2 hours! Not been to this show before but was impressed. No difficulty parking and no problem finding the event due to the yellow signs.

A nice mix of layouts with plenty of quality.

Several RMwebbers were bumped into - a large contingent who were looking after Eldavo's cunningly extended and presented Cramdin Yard. Dave's auto switching trailing 'point-cassette' for the DMU shuttles is pure genius (checkout the right hand one).

It was really good to see East Lynn properly at last after all these years (seen it many times but only afar) and chat to its creator and Backjumper (and another chap who I chatted to for ages - sorry I'm rubbish with names) etc.

Highbury Colliery is a pure joy - looks amazing, runs beautifully and has an open chirpy creator - this in turn creating another pool of admiring chatty RMwebbers.

I'm a big fan of good classy model making - scale, gauge or era being unimportant. It's also important that the operators are having fun - that too helps to shape the layout.

I guess parking will always be an issue - clubs have to make the best of facilies they have available for the budget. Until there's an 'NEC' in every town then there will always be an occasional problem (then we'll all moan about the additional costs). Timing one's visit carefully generally gets around this though.

Parking is a problem for most venues, at Railex we have to hire the ajacent William Harding school and the Hospital Staff car parking, that does cost us a few hundred pounds, but its needed if you expect people to drive to an any exhibition, The other option is to have off site parking with a ferry bus. As I have said before there is no perfect venue, unless someone has been involved with running a show you won't really understand the effort of trying to make thing work.

I completely agree with David Bigcheeseplant, as whatever parking facilities the Club can provide, it never seems enough! At RAIL-EX SOUTHWEST, we always seemed to run out of space, in spite of providing free vintage buses from Taunton Station, and hiring the school next door. This year, with our new venue, we are hoping to provide a great deal more parking actually on site. In real life, wherever you go in this overpopulated country, there are no guarantees of finding a convenient parking space. Like myself, all Exhibition Managers and their teams do their utmost to provide the best possible services and facilities within their budgets that make it financially sensible to organise an Exhibition in the first place.

Myself and two friends went to Basingstoke yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the day - I even got roped in to help on the Wessex Wagons stall for a while. We had to park a distance away, but luckily we are able bodied, so no problem for us. The layouts were good and met Dave behind "Cramdin Yard", which we thoroughly enjoyed, including the Brian Kirby uncoupling. Hopefully, this fine layout will be coming to Taunton in the near future. So congratulations to all concerned with the show, we felt it was well worth the long drive up from Somerset! Ooh Arr!!

Archived