Basingstoke show 13/14th March 2010

eldavo

• RMweb Premium

I dragged my old bones out of bed early today and made the trip over to Basingstoke from Somerset , in fact it was so early I was first into the carpark .

I thought it was a good show, nice balance of layouts in scales , era's and country of origin , eg, continental and U.S. outline .

Cramdin is a super bit of modeling and the real thing looks just like the photo's , County Gate was very well modelled and the scenary superb. East Lynn was also very nice to see , I have enough trouble trying to build things as is is so there is no chance of me trying to do something that requires everything to be scratchbuilt . I forgot that Kuppla Yard was being shown by one of our members , so apologies for not saying Hi .

A good selection of traders in attendance also , I escaped with just a few pots of paint and a road vehicle .

I had a good day and will certainly look at going back next year , well done to the organisers and their helpers .

We had to park a distance away, but luckily we are able bodied, so no problem for us.

There lies the rub.

Having started the gripe about parking I feel the need to return to it. :(

I was trying to point out that I have attended this show for several years - always at about the peak time Sat 10:30 and up to this year the worst I have had to do is queue a short while - never yet having to venture to an overflow car park (though once was redirected to the "exhibitor's" car park where there were many spaces unallocated.

To me this shows the success of the show and is not an entirely bad thing - after all increases footfall should lead to a better return on the event.

My gripe with the car park "guides" was their inability to understand that directing people into the unknown "find a space in the road somewhere" or "try xyz rd" - its about 1/2 mile away shows no understanding of the problem generated for someone who has no familiarity of the location or who does not have the ability to walk the distance with the ease of younger years.

The event is certainly going to manage even if it is at the point of turning people away so that is why it appears to gets so little attention at some shows. But I DO think in this case the organisers have been caught off guard by the sudden demand.

The provision of a bus/minibus service is only of any use if it is from a suitable car park - for example a school or other free parking area. Though to be honest I probably would not object to a small parking fee if it was to cover the "park-n-ride" service rather than just added to the door charge like some "green initiative".

BTW. On the subject of dubious estates, I doubt if that one in Basingstoke was anywhere near as bad as some I have had the pleasures of walking through. Easterhouse, Govan, and Maryhill in Glasgow ... certain areas of Belfast ... Brixton ... St Annes and Forest in Nottingham and quite a few others ... but I was younger and much fitter in those days :D

• RMweb Gold

Sprinted round this morning being dragged by my kids who seemed more intent on getting back to the Tracy Island on the Thomas layout in the entrance as quick as they could. My thanks to the operators of East Quay for letting the kids have a go at tipping the coal truck into the barge. It slowed them down for a few mins.

Highbury Collery is simply stunning and was the stand out layout for me, and seeing East Lynn again made me yearn for a year off work to be able to work on my modelling skills. The other one I liked was Crichel. I had read about this a long time ago in the toddler and this really did look as good in the flesh as the photo's.

• RMweb Premium

Spent a couple of hours there this morning and found it to be a good show as usual. Spent a fair bit of the time watching Cramdin and chatting to Dave (Eldavo) and as has been said already it really is as good as the pics. If I had had more time Dave I would've had a play, maybe next time.

My observation on the parking was that one of the playgrounds at the back of the school now has bollards across its entrance and is not able to be used for parking, which probably explains the problems on Saturday. That said I arrived at 10.20 today and had no problems.

My observation on the parking was that one of the playgrounds at the back of the school now has bollards across its entrance and is not able to be used for parking, which probably explains the problems on Saturday. That said I arrived at 10.20 today and had no problems.

Hi :)

Apparantly it had just been resurfaced and so they werent allowed to use it this weekend.

Missy :mellow:

Didn't meet many of you folks, as Kuppla Yard was shoved to the back of the Drama Room, which many people missed. I felt sorry for the traders who had a very poor footfall compared with the main halls, which were 'heavin'.

Nice to meet up with Dave of Cramdin Yard - our paths may cross again - I hope so.

Dave B

First time at this show and what a good experience

Good number of good layouts - good to see iron mould lane in the flesh

Good number of traders and a nice balance of new and second hand

Can't comment on the parking as was dropped off but inside was very busy but that is a good thing as they will be able to have a good show next year

Sam

Photos are coming once i resize and sort them out

Didn't meet many of you folks, as Kuppla Yard was shoved to the back of the Drama Room, which many people missed. I felt sorry for the traders who had a very poor footfall compared with the main halls, which were 'heavin'.

Nice to meet up with Dave of Cramdin Yard - our paths may cross again - I hope so.

Dave B

I wondered where the 4th room was - though only when I finally viewed the guide and realised I'd not seen several key layouts at 3pm on Sunday afternoon at home and it was too late :O

Below - only took a couple of snaps, here's East Dean with the exhibition hall removed.

post-6681-126867620611_thumb.jpg

post-6681-126867623163_thumb.jpg

Here's a few more photos from yesterday.

post-647-126869131956_thumb.jpg

Canada Road

post-647-126869142711_thumb.jpg

Cramdin Yard

post-647-126869144756_thumb.jpg

Cramdin Yard

post-647-126869147013_thumb.jpg

Highbury Colliery

post-647-126869149297_thumb.jpg

Hayesden

post-647-126869151657_thumb.jpg

East Quay, Chapel Pill

post-647-126869161978_thumb.jpg

East Lynn

I thought it was a very good show overall with something for everyone. I had to leave after two hours but I could happily have stayed much longer. It was good to meet Dave behind Cramdin Yard as well.

Regards

Arthur

Archived