Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2015

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Yes its nearly time for the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2015.

It is in the same Hall (5) as last year and ticket prices are the same as last year.  When is it?

Saturday 28th November 2015 (9.45am* - 6pm)

Sunday 29th November 2015 (9.45am* - 5pm)

*Advance ticket holders 9.15am - Saturday and Sunday

TICKET PRICES 

1 Day Ticket 
Adult - £12.50
Child (age 5 - 16) - £7.00
Family Ticket - (2 Adults and up to 3 Children) - £34.00

2 Day Ticket 
Adult - £21.50
Child (age 5 - 16) - £12.00

Advance Tickets are off sale from 4pm  Friday 27th November 2015

TICKET PRICES ON THE DOOR

1 Day Ticket 

Adult - £14.00
Child (age 5 - 16) - £8.50
Family Ticket - (2 Adults and up to 3 Children) - £41.50

2 Day Ticket 
Adult - £24.50
Child (age 5 - 16) - £15.00

Exhibits covering a wide variety of scales and gauges including Full Size!

Have an opportunity to learn from a number of  railway modelling societies and a wide range of well known Demonstrators and Speakers. 

Meet the people who are experts in their fields from dcc to full size locomotive design and build. 

Help to provide Nebulisers for worthy causes by visiting our Charity Link Stand.

Note despite the information posted elsewhere on this the show is run on behalf of Warley MRC ( a registered Charity) by Warley MRC Exhibitions ltd. A further clarification of this will be posted in due course.

Visit the website below for further updates on the Show

http://www.thewarleyshow.co.uk/index.html

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking forward to this one - as always - and have already bought my advance ticket.

The seminars sound like a welcome refinement on previous years. In recent years, I've really enjoyed similar sessions at shows run by Warner's. In fact, I've enjoyed them so much that I've started to view them as a key selling point for a big show - on a par with advance tickets (if they're being done) being available at face value (without booking fees or other hidden "ambush" charges).

This is one reason why I get my tickets from Ian Allan in Birmingham. There are, of course, other reasons (like the rather interesting books they sell - and the fact that I just happen to like dealing with these guys). Whatever the score, I wish I could also get my advance "Ally Pally" tickets through them. 

Turning to the seminars at this year's "Warley" show, they look like a good selection with no obvious "duds".

In fact, I could see some of these sessions being very well attended - so I think it's just as well that they're not timed to run into each other. Quite apart from allowing for attendees to look at other show attractions, have a short break etc, there are other benefits to this - slight "overruns" don't lead to long "knock on" delays with later sessions - also, attendees don't feel compelled to turn up for the previous session, in the hope of getting into the one that specifically interests them. (None of these issues are exactly unknown with seminars at tradeshows.)

As for the rest of the show, I'm sure there'll be the usual mix of quality layouts, trade exhibitors etc and other attractions, competing for our time and attention. I'm sure there will also be the customary "procession" of RMweb members letting us know that they're booked to exhibit there - doubtless accompanied by the usual chorus of: "Please come and meet us - we don't bite - honest!" Well, I'm sure these people don't bite - if they did, they probably wouldn't have been invited - and they probably wouldn't have lasted on this site for very long, either.

This brings me to that other, rather important, reason why I attend this show. For me, model railways aren't just about the models themselves (even though they tend to be good at shows like this). No, for me, model railways are really about the people behind them - the people who build them - the people who exhibit them - the people who keep us supplied with models, kits, parts, books, magazines and all those other essential supplies. Shows like this give me the chance to catch up with these people - and also with other people I've got to know over the years.

I'm really looking forward to this show. I know I'll find plenty to keep me occupied - plenty to enjoy - I just don't know exactly what I'll find yet, that's all.

Huw.

• RMweb Premium

Just received the exhibitor pack for the demo stands and I'm on A58 again....... Not quite as much yellow as last year.

Looks like there's a few other fellow RMwebbers in the same "island".

Cheers,

Mick

Note to Barry - relevant forms signed and in the envelope ready to post.

• RMweb Premium

Just in case you are intrigued by Huw Griffiths post the Presentations at Warley will be held in the Theatre beside the demo area. On both Saturday and Sunday the presentations are:

10:30    Setting the Scene                                                      Graham Nicholas (LNER4479)

11:30    Track Plans and Trains                                             Graham Nicholas (LNER4479)

12:30    Preparing and developing new vehicles                    Hornby

13:30    Compressing the prototype to fit the space               Tony Wright

14:30    Making a large model railway operable using DCC   Bob Harper

15:30    Industrial railway loco development and running       Mike Edge

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Just received the exhibitor pack for the demo stands and I'm on A58 again....... Not quite as much yellow as last year.

Looks like there's a few other fellow RMwebbers in the same "island".

Cheers,

Mick

Note to Barry - relevant forms signed and in the envelope ready to post.

Hi,

That will be me next to you Mick on A59 then!

Looking forward to the show, no extra curricular trips this year as well.

Forms are signed and in the post.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

That will be me next to you Mick on A59 then!

Looking forward to the show, no extra curricular trips this year as well.

Forms are signed and in the post.

Cheers

Simon

As I live within sight of the A59, I'll be quite at home then!

Look forward to a bit of banter.

Cheers,

Mick

I'm scheduled to do something by way of demonstration and discussion at stand A65, but it looks as if there may be some confusion caused by the title, at least as it appears in the exhibitors' packs. I think it's got a bit mixed up with the title of a presentation / seminar that was under consideration but isn't now going ahead.

So, for clarity, I'll mainly be dealing with production and use of resin castings for locos and rolling stock, with examples of moulds / castings / finished models, although for those with an interest I can drone on quite a lot about research that went into the production of some models of inter-war ironstone hopper wagons unique to the Appleby-Frodingham company. I can refer a little to LNER (inc. constituent) / ER brake vans and goods containers too. Should anybody be misled into thinking that I can enlighten them on the entire topic of "Prototypical Goods Train Formations", which may appear as the title in the show guides, I'm afraid they'll find my knowledge somewhat lacking! 

• RMweb Premium

And the winner of the return your Demo letters to Barry O are.... Mick and Steve  aka Newbryford and SteveAtBax.

Info on its way gents.

We have demos from a wide ranging number of people this year including a few from RMweb. As well as the gent mentioned above these include Queensquare (and not Green Square as my autocorrect has a habit of doing), Michael Edge, Tony Wright, gr.king, Mr.S.Corn78, LNER4479, Redgate Models, Jamie92208, Davey 4270 plus others.

For more details please see

http://www.thewarleyshow.co.uk/demonstrators.html

• RMweb Premium

And the winner of the return your Demo letters to Barry O are.... Mick and Steve  aka Newbryford and SteveAtBax.

Doesn't take long for the pigeon to fly over 't Pennines - especially with a tailwind.....

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

When I was a teenager I used to go to the Central Hall Westminster for the National Model Railway exhibition but since then have only been to smaller shows. Last week I booked my ticket to the Warley NEC show and my rail tickets from London. Looking forward to a great day.

• 2 weeks later...

Houston, we have a problem (Famous quote from the Apollo 13 mission)!  After erecting the baseboards for my 00 gauge DCC layout ‘Crewlisle’ (Stand A42) in preparation for the NEC, a couple of major problems came to light.

1. I have just split the Layout into ‘High’ & ‘Low’ levels using two PSX-1 circuit breakers.  What I did not realise when I fitted an additional track bus to split the layout, the low level circuit PSX-1 did not work with my Lenz LK100  Reverse Loop Module, ie locos stalled at the isolated sections as both the LK100 & PSX-1 were trying to change the track polarity simultaneously.   Basically they were fighting against each other.  After some useful advice from RMWeb members in the ‘DCC Questions’ forum the problem was solved  by running a new supply to the LK100 directly from the command station thus bypassing both PSX-1.  It now works as it should without stopping.

2. One of the reasons I have managed to squeeze a ‘quart into a pint pot’ (2.6M x 2.3M overall size with three interconnected levels; terminus &

engine sheds on high level; the WCML on the mid level with OLE & the low level reversing loop incorporating cassettes instead of a fiddle yard) is

by breaking the golden rule of track laying by having curved lift out sections of track with sliding fishplates over the baseboard joints.  Three of

these sections have  one or two points on them.  After erecting the layout & testing the track I noticed that both points on a trailing crossover lift

out section on the  mainline across a baseboard joint were sluggish & worn out.  Both were about 30 years old!  Obviously they had to be replaced

& it took some time to align the track/points, ballast & replace the point motors.

After ‘marking time’ for two weeks, I can now  carry on with the normal preps for an exhibition!

Peter

Will be along with one of the longest layouts there this year and the only Tramway layout - O'Connell Street 1949.

The layout has been expanded and improved since its last visit to Warley in 2012

I remember liking that!  I plan to be there on the Sunday.

Chris

Archived