Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2015

Barry O

Home from my annual visit. Didn't find it less busy, and the Bachmann scrum worse than ever.

Some great layouts - "World's End" wonderful and it was interesting to not how many women were filming and photographing it.

The huge Dublo tinplate layout was brilliant, and the big tail-chasers enjoyable. Some good smaller layouts too - Crew-lisle was a great example of a quart into a pint pot.

The number of big box-shifters seems to decline each year and so there is less competition on RTR new releases.

Some other great things to see on the trade front though. Hornby's forthcoming items - GWR 57 footers, Radial, E5001, Peckett and Q6 made their stand a worthwhile visit.

Rapido's APT looked great and they've announced the prototype HST. Good to talk to Jason too.

The Oxford Manx Kitten and tram looked superb - a great static load for a train, and hopefully the subject of many future motorisations.

The Dapol Black Label A4s we're Golden Age quality to look at - worth every penny. The Flying Banana felt as heavy as a Heljan engine and the Danish firm was showing painted Tangos and sample L&B Manning Wardles and the GWR 1361 and 1366. These last two were solid, well detailed and definite future purchases.

A good show, and jolly well done to the club.

Finally, it was good to see some familiar names in the flesh!

Hello Guys........

Have just returned home from the NEC......Thanks to all for another quality show,,,,,arrived for the advance opening......travelling on the train services these were 'rammed' both early and on the late afternoon Arriva service to Holyhead, but as other major events were on this was to be anticipated......took longer to leave Wolverhampton as 'Wolves' were at home !  :jester:

Good layouts, exceptional 'quality' and 'serious' modelling going,,,makes one very 'humble'.......agree that it seemed 'easier' to view the layouts and get around the trade stands even though it appeared to be as busy as previous years.......

It really did make me smile that there was a rush for the Bachmann stand as the event opened....I was more worried there be a queue for breakfast!!!!

Thanks again guys....next year I think I am going to charter a helicopter from Halfpenny Green (two miles away) and fly in to Brum...?

Visitors space was only adequate from 9.15 up to 11.15 ish this morning. Beyond that it was beyond the joke and I bailed out early. It should also be renamed "The OO Show" - very little in it for supporters of other gauges. The total cost to me for about two hours was about £55 which is bad value for money. The local shows are now outclassing this as a VISITOR experience.

From a VISITORS point of view Hall 5 is just not big enough.

That's odd because to me 4mm was not the overwhelming scale, perhaps you found the 00 corner?

There was plenty of N, 3mm, 7mm and other more esoteric scales.

Personally I was most impressed with three of the 3mm layouts to the point I am seriously considering joining the society when the 4F complete kit becomes available to try my hand. The other two 3mm were TT in the old sense so not something that would interest me.

Picked up a Dapol 22 and a Farish N class for Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed the day, the only layout I couldn't get to see early on was Burntisland. I agree there seemed to be more trade this year but not of box shifter types so I am sure there will be people who might appreciate some of the extra stalls.

The only truly out of place stall was the woman selling kitchen knives, did she book the wrong hall?

• RMweb Premium

Visitors space was only adequate from 9.15 up to 11.15 ish this morning. Beyond that it was beyond the joke and I bailed out early. It should also be renamed "The OO Show" - very little in it for supporters of other gauges. The total cost to me for about two hours was about £55 which is bad value for money. The local shows are now outclassing this as a VISITOR experience.

From a VISITORS point of view Hall 5 is just not big enough.

I would suggest if you had stayed more than two hours you would have seen many layouts that were not OO

I do find it to be a bit of a crush early morning on Sat, so I bailed out and headed off to my local games workshop for an hour. Much more manageable by the time I got back

Is there anythhing which people want me to snap tomorrow? I'm going back for a non-shopping day, so could probably get pictures of things for people if they really want it

• RMweb Gold

Hi gang,

Glad to see you found time to put in comments. I was in at 6.00 helping to put out 300+ "resting chairs" and a final round of checks before opening. NEC concerned about space outside hall for other show entrants so opening bought forward by 10 minutes or so. The hall volume leapt as the hard working Bachmann staff took first brunt of the crowd, from the void area behind the screen the tide of chatter flowed down the hall in a matter of minutes.

As you have correctly spotted ways between blocks opened up - a little more hall hired but the void whilst paid for is a great undercover lit loading bay for build up and post closure breakdown- I have been to shows where layouts get wet and traders get stock damaged in the wet and some area shows the lighting afterdark not the best, everybody is tired and keen to get away.  The void, walkways and compliance to NEC venue requirements - enhanced with the roll out of CDM2015 regs makes it a challenge - so thanks back to those who said thanks. Hall set up is by around 50 members and friends from local and not so local clubs who have solidly helped at 23 NEC shows but the gang behind the show is around 16 volunteers from many walks of life, credit to NEC venue and its hardworking staff for putting up with us! 

I really like the Webb coal tank and thanks to all involved on that stand.

With 96 varied layouts and extra diaoramas plenty to see, It is a plan to have zones of blocks with common theme and the Samll scale traders village is a must go for many. I spent 3 hours on stand A answering questions on stand locations many for the "village" stands and for the show today lost property was only 6 or so items and most claimed. No lost adults as well but some had mislaid other adults that they had come along with to the show.

Traders hard at it - Plenty of boxes and bags plus smiles as vistors departed today,  Squires staff still restocking at 19.00 tonight, hence my late departure from hall 5. The largest single hall at the NEC and home for the show for nigh on 23 years. This is 23rd show at NEC and clubs 48th show.

So if you want to see the show come tomorrow - or next year  26 and 27 th Nov 2016.

Old cry "See you there or be square!"

Thanks

Robert                

...my local cinema is showing "A Matter of Life and Death" tomorrow afternoon which is one of my favourite films, and I would love to see it on the big screen rather than DVD. So, David Niven versus a 200 mile round trip to listen to a bunch of complaining hygienically challenged armchair modellers armed with backpacks and no sense of direction or common courtesy. Sorry, the lure of the popcorn was greater.

Total tangent, there is a stage play version of the film. I too love the film, and the play version was quite magical; I couldn't imagine how it could be brought off in a (small) theatre but it completely succeeded. End of tangent, back to Warley.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting views (especially about the Heljan 1361 which was riddled with detail errors for any member of the class but presumably it was only an EP so the final effort might be better - but pricey).  But to other things - I didn't get to the Dapol stand but it wouldn't have interested me anyway as the GW railcar still seems to be a mixture of various versions and it's difficult to judge the subtle shape of an A4 without seeing it in the flesh.

Anyway to the show itself as all the r-t-r items have their own threads, or two in some cases.  Typical Warley I think - the ultimate curate's egg which was extremely good in parts and not so good in others.  Apart from those who seem to think the middle of an aisle is the place to hold a conversation and those wielding metal framed rucksacks neither of which are down to the organisers - nor is the paddling pool in the gents toilets of course - there were problems in places with narrow aisles some of which were almost akin to mediaeval streets where the residents on one side could shake hands with those on the other side without leaving home (not much of that in the bits I visited but once is enough when it's one you're aiming for.  But some better, and not over-priced catering outlets was a good thing.

Exhibition content is a very personal thing - I rarely go to Warley to see layouts although I look at some and some other shows are better for trade (Railex especially in my regular list) and the key to shopping at Warley is clearly not only to plan your shopping list in advance but also to plan your navigation, which I did and bought what I went for (mainly books and a little bit spent on modelling 'stuff' plus a bit on some r-t-r NPCCS).  That bit worked but was awful crowded in places.

As far as layouts are concerned I see what I can if it happens to interest me and I found several which did that I could actually get close enough to see.

I like to be able to meet people (and not talk to them in the middle of an aisle) which I did and even better was the chance to talk to, and pick up tips and information from some of the various demonstrators - an excellent feature of the show and in an area which you could move around.

Travel to & from was the usual mixture of good (timekeeping of the trains I used) the bad (overcrowding of said trains) the excellent (customer service onboard on the train home), the stupid (people in the queue to buy a warley show ticket but wanting one for the motorcycle show (despite notices and stewards directing people to the various ticket offices and queues), and the downright anti-social (no noted nasty body odour, but that clown with the metal framed rucksack the size of a small cabin trunk really ought not to be let out without going through a loading gauge, sideways).

Biggest omission - where was Comic.com this year?

This year is the first year I have witnessed the Bachmann run and scrum for over priced damaged goods.

Some DMU's at £75 had a higher price than what some of the traders was selling them for!

So as people go home with a so called bargain in a Bachmann bag think about the people that visited the other stands first.

I did and came across stand C08 A Oakes and what a find.

Bachmann locos at a price that I felt guilty.

Well done guys its nice to see that some traders still give out the bargains. 

Out of interest, with regard to this new Super Dapol A4, why is it that they always start with the LNER pacifics? It's always these big, flashy locos. Why not start with a really decent model of Emmanuel Clegg?

That would be good! There are so few Nasmyth Wilson locos surviving.

Regards

it was a good day at the show, I enjoyed it. Normally I go on the Sunday, as it's a bit less busy, but I had to go today as I'm constrained by other plans for tomorrow (t'wife is off to the Good Food Show, and I need to look after the children). I did get a bit frustrated with the crush at some layouts and trade stands, but on the whole it wasn't too bad,

Favourite layouts: Of the ones I haven't seen before, I really liked The Worlds End, Zwaaghoek and Northwick. I also liked the operating concept of Horfield - instead of sticking to a specific era, the layout's schedule advances from the early BR era to the 1960s, so that each successive train takes you a bit further forward in time. It starts with the last of the pre "Modernisation programme" locos and ends with a Blue Pullman. Very nicely done. Of the layouts that I have seen before, Hassell Harbour Bridge was as impressive as always, and Burntisland is one of the most exquisitely modelled layouts on the current circuit - although it also has to be said that it's also one of the most prone to needing the "hand of God" to keep it running. Much though I appreciate the reasons why S4 is theoretically better than OO, Burntisland is also an object lesson in how hard it is to do in practice. 

• RMweb Gold

I didn't make it last year so it was good to get there again this year, some very nice layouts, but some that are quite frankly not worthy of being at the show.

Very unimpressed with the trader who wanted £4.38 for an item, when I asked if he would take £20 for five of them for cash said no, and offered me five for £22... My muttered "That would be ripping me off" was obviously heard by his partner who called him over and pointed out that five should come to £21.90. This was later in the day when the stall in question wasn't busy, not at the height of the rush.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Very unimpressed with the trader who wanted £4.38 for an item, when I asked if he would take £20 for five of them for cash said no, and offered me five for £22... My muttered "That would be ripping me off" was obviously heard by his partner who called him over and pointed out that five should come to £21.90. This was later in the day when the stall in question wasn't busy, not at the height of the rush.

… or, presumably, at the height of any rush, with "multi-buy deals" like that.

Huw.

• RMweb Premium

Hey guys....If anyone's attending Warley today, can you'll ask Hornby if the R3390TTS VTEC HST train pack comes with two HST power cars or just one?

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/class-43-hst-virgin-rail-east-coast-with-tts-sound.html

It's an HST and it will be £250. Why would you think it's going to only be one power car? Just because it doesn't show two down mean it is going to be one car.

It's an HST and it will be £250. Why would you think it's going to only be one power car? Just because it doesn't show two down mean it is going to be one car.

Well sorry if my question seemed stupid.

But if Hornby showed 2 power cars for the other HST sets (BR Blue and FGW), I thought maybe this was different. And if you look at the VTEC Class 91 + DVT, they don't show Mk.4 coaches, but it is apparently included in the pack. So anything can happen.

• RMweb Gold

Well sorry if my question seemed stupid.

But if Hornby showed 2 power cars for the other HST sets (BR Blue and FGW), I thought maybe this was different. And if you look at the VTEC Class 91 + DVT, they don't show Mk.4 coaches, but it is apparently included in the pack. So anything can happen.

It didn't to me. When buying things these days never assume anything. Just think who would of thought than anyone would have a punt at a £400 A4 before this weekend ;)

Archived