Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2015

Barry O

As I mentioned in my earlier post I spotted a couple of themes at Warley and here are some photos of the first one. Apologies for the quality of some, but my camera-phone was on max zoom to get them. 

I emphasise that this is meant to be a humorous post - it's only when a lot of layouts come together that this quite understandable railway modellers' habit comes to attention. But first imagine the scene.................

Fred: "what yer got there then Charlie boy?"

Charlie: "ass a bus Fred. Thought it would look good on the layout. Where shall I put ut?"

And here's the rest of the story......   

attachicon.gifWP_20151128_14_14_33_Pro bus.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20151128_14_14_11_Pro bus.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20151128_14_29_16_Pro bus.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20151128_15_16_31_Pro bus.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20151128_16_29_55_Pro bus.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20151129_12_58_39_Pro bus.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20151129_13_20_15_Pro bus.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20151129_14_01_50_Pro bus.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20151129_14_02_58_Pro bus.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20151129_14_05_32_Pro bus.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20151129_14_40_25_Pro bus.jpg

(Someone had to be different.)

If I missed your bus on your bridge (or under it) my apologies - it is nothing personal. :-)

So many green ones too!

Regards

RichardS

Not at Warley this year but due next......

We do it a bit differently, our buses work and we have a (currently stationary) train on the overbridge  :D

post-7067-0-83199000-1449085721.jpg

Not at Warley this year but due next......

We do it a bit differently, our buses work and we have a (currently stationary) train on the overbridge  :D

The Irish tram layout this year had working buses running on faller chassis and using AAA batteries. Surprised more people don't adopt vehicles; it's simple enough but big lack of suitable prototype vehicles must be big deterrent. Which is shame.

Can I ask a question please RD? What have you paved the tram tracks with as shown in your picture?

Thanks

Look forward to seeing your layout next year.

RichardS

The Irish tram layout this year had working buses running on faller chassis and using AAA batteries. Surprised more people don't adopt vehicles; it's simple enough but big lack of suitable prototype vehicles must be big deterrent. Which is shame.

Can I ask a question please RD? What have you paved the tram tracks with as shown in your picture?

Thanks

Look forward to seeing your layout next year.

RichardS

I build my own bus chassis using some Faller parts and generally AAA batteries, there's a load more on my blog,it's pretty simple really when you get into it..

The road surface is Wickes (now La Farge) ready to use plaster which is grey in colour, that's floated on over the track then left to dry, the groove is made by drawing a metal tool with a 1mm square nib on it at an acute angle, eventually pulling it up to right angles. The setts are then scribed o with a rule and engineers scribe, then coloured.

Again loads on my blog and some video of the buses and other stuff in action.

I build my own bus chassis using some Faller parts and generally AAA batteries, there's a load more on my blog,it's pretty simple really when you get into it..

The road surface is Wickes (now La Farge) ready to use plaster which is grey in colour, that's floated on over the track then left to dry, the groove is made by drawing a metal tool with a 1mm square nib on it at an acute angle, eventually pulling it up to right angles. The setts are then scribed o with a rule and engineers scribe, then coloured.

Again loads on my blog and some video of the buses and other stuff in action.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the blog.

Richard

The bus on the bridge is a well known feature of many layouts. I have to confess I've done it. I researched the bus routes that could have passed by my fictitious station and acquired a set of correct numbers and route details for my example. At the next exhibition a loud voice was heard in the crowd telling one and all that the number on said bus was "a Saturday only working".  I beckoned the fellow over and asked him what to-day was and was told "Saturday". I told him my case rested. "But what about tomorrow"? he asked and I told him, "every day is Saturday on this layout"!

post-276-0-40856800-1449089637.jpg

This was taken at Warley by the way several years ago on Brockley Green SE4.

The eagle eyed will notice all vehicles have drivers and the bus has passengers. 

• RMweb Gold

I went for the first time this year as a "combatant" and am even more impressed with the success and scale of the whole thing than I ever was before.

Thank you very much to all the organisers and participants for contributing to the most singular model railway event in the calendar.

It seems to me that this show more than any other completely blows out of the water all the bilge you read about the hobby dying

Long may it continue, rucksacks are dodgeable - even on Saturdays!!

And as a footnote, I am very happy to report that despite numerous prophecies of Faraday caged gloom my credit card machine worked absolutely perfectly throughout the whole weekend, and a big thank you to all of you who put it to the test!!

Simon

(Wild Swan Books)

• RMweb Premium

It looks as if the 00 version is a little wider and taller than the N:

http://www.nelevation.com/specifications/

It's an excellent-looking product and I'm very interested in the 00 version. I'd have made good use of the N, too, but

it would be impossible to fit it into my existing layout due to vertical clearance issues.

I mentioned in a previous topic that I thought a better solution was a "paternoster" style device with tracks on a continuous loop to bring them to the top:

See here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101068-the-national-festival-of-railway-modelling-2015/page-5&do=findComment&comment=2061527

I might even have a go myself sometime in the future! :scratchhead:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I suppose the ultimate conclusion to buses on bridges is to abandon the trains, say it's Sunday and that the buses are Rail replacement services....

You could always have a completely deserted intact railway with no trains.

"Closed by Beeching, waiting for the demolition train" :jester:

Keith

Yes and no - the buses we motorised on O'Connell Street were EFE ones with the Faller Bus chassis slotted in along with the AAA battery holders. The diecast bodies are just light enough not to bog down the chassis but battery life with the AAA batteries is better than the Faller ones as they last longer and slowly discharge rather than suddenly die. As regards body swops look at the Road Transport Images range as these are resin and easy to adapt. We should have a few more trucks on O'Connell Street when the layout is exhibited at Modelrail Scotland in Glasgow in 2016. Hopefully a few vehicles will be running and not just 2...

The Faller Car system is a poisoned chalice, when its working well its great but can be a nightmare when things go wrong, and there are many things that can go wrong. Worst is when the vehicles lose contact with the wire as they keep going...... Always easier to fit it to a layout under construction rather than retro fit it

An enjoyable visit to Warley for the MRSI and the layout was very well received. Just need to work on what the judges are looking for now whenever we make our Warley return, would be nice to pick up another award. We received an invite to another well known UK show for 2017, nice to see our efforts being appreciated. The results of the GoPro that was on/around the O'Connell Street at various points will be revealed soon, just need to get my head around video editing :)

• RMweb Gold

Both the M/C and Warley shows have now been pitted against the Good Food show which is always crowded so you are going to have to get used to it.

Keith

IMHO the Warley show has never been the same since it wasn't twinned with the clothes show, phenomenal totty count, and the foyer was the most interesting place to be all weekend.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I mentioned in a previous topic that I thought a better solution was a "paternoster" style device with tracks on a continuous loop to bring them to the top:

I might even have a go myself sometime in the future! :scratchhead:

Keith

The paternoster idea is neat, and somewhere I have seen a link to video of a car park that uses the system, but it does require twice the width.

I know Allen looked at numerous configurations and decided that, for *most* people, width is more crucial than height, as most people will have three clear feet above and below their baseboard level. YMMV of course.

This should probably be in the Nelevator thread, apologies to those uninterested.

cheers

Ben A.

IMHO the Warley show has never been the same since it wasn't twinned with the clothes show, phenomenal totty count, and the foyer was the most interesting place to be all weekend.

Mike.

Im extremely thankful it only clashed with the Classic Car show once...... Still miss the Clothes Show foyer mind

I see there's been some discussion on layout lighting, and my layout, Stanfording was mentioned favourably! I got the LED strip from www.led-lighthouse.co.uk and used the Nano Tech Flexible LED strip 2835 in natural white. It comes in coils, I bought  3 and 5 metre lengths. They supply suitable psu's and connectors. The strips are self-adhesive, I stuck aluminium foil tape (recommended) onto 25mm plastic angle and the LED strip on that. It's a little wibbly-wobbly, but I wanted to keep it all as light and transportable as possible. The angles are 4 ft long - same as baseboards - slot together and have phono plugs to connect. 20 x 10 alu channel cantilevers the assembly from lighting stands at the rear of the layout. Hope this is of some interest to someone! Contact me if you wish to know more.

Cheers

Tony

post-17353-0-89943200-1449148485_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I would like to point out that there were no buses on Appledore till Bob got his hands on it as I prefer convertibles and pink brash cars...ah they Are still there.

No wonder all those lines shut with that many busses!

Edit

There is a bus on Santa Barbara but no bridges to put them on

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=651144

It's a fair cop guv'nor!  I added the buses in order to comply with the RMweb Directive that all bridges have a bus on them. :jester:

Also, they are good at hiding the way that the road runs straight into the sky. :sungum:

Incidentally, they are crewed and have punters on board too.  I'm also one who is irked by model vehicles that are under the control of the Mysterons. :no:

A lemming like rush to get a "bargain".

Mind you, some look like they could do with the exercise to lose a few calories.

Looking at 'em I would have thought a St Johns unit should have been standing by with a cardio crash system!

Went to Warley once, 2 years ago.

It was a quite sufficient experience for me. I have no wish to repeat it - or exhibit there!

Dramatic footage of the highlight of the show for many - for some its to take part in this, for others its to witness it with bemusement.........

This footage might be useful evidence to counter those who keep grumbling on other threads that railway modelling is going to die out in a decade or so because it's fast becoming the preserve of pensioners.  Plenty of those around in it, but no shortage of younger folk too.

Still not many of the female persuasion though ...

Archived