Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2015

Barry O

Have just completed the final major check-off before Warley – Crewlisle’s OLE.  See NEC home page for photo.

To many of you this might sound strange; part of the layout you might say.  However, my OLE is all portable & cleared for scale 100 mph running with the pantographs in contact with the catenary wire.  As it is all portable, every time it is dismantled there is a good chance that a piece gets left behind!  This happened a few years ago after an exhibition & was not found missing until erected for the next one.  Fortunately none were missing this time.  After erecting for checking & test running, ‘post-sticks’ are attached to each section of catenary wire for identity to speed up erection at the exhibition. 

I have recently replaced scratchbuilt pantographs on my two class 86’s (BR blue) with Sommerfeldt pantographs.  Furthermore,  I also had to secure the pantograph base on my Bachmann Class 85 (electric blue) as it kept on working loose.  For all three locos I have had to restrain the height of the pantograph to approximately 2mm above the catenary contact wire so that the pantograph does not spring too high to snag on wires, etc. on the underside of the high level in the tunnels or put too much pressure on the catenary contact wire.  In addition to those three locos I have a Class 81 (electric blue), Class 87 (BR blue) & an APT.

Now I can get on with checking & servicing the rest of the steam & diesel locos in my WCML loco fleet!

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Speaking from the demonstration organisers view things seem to be going well.

The Presentators all seem to be ready for their presentations and Mike Edge will be bringing along a piece of Cwmafon  which includes an Industrial loco shed to use as part of his talk on Industrial locos.

And remember, you can book a seat for any presentation by contacting me direct.

Baz 

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone had difficulties in trying to pre-book tickets online for the Warley show?

I've tried several times on two different Apple devices, a Mac and an iPhone 5S, each time you go as far as entering all your booking details, address, entering card details or connecting to your Paypal, go through all the process to buy the tickets only to get a 'Whoops, sorry' error message? Going to try again on a Windows work computer tomorrow, but a little bit alarming!

Cheers,

James

Has anyone had difficulties in trying to pre-book tickets online for the Warley show?

I've tried several times on two different Apple devices, a Mac and an iPhone 5S, each time you go as far as entering all your booking details, address, entering card details or connecting to your Paypal, go through all the process to buy the tickets only to get a 'Whoops, sorry' error message? Going to try again on a Windows work computer tomorrow, but a little bit alarming!

Cheers,

James

I had the same problem in the end I tired  for 3 days and gave up and order my ticket by post. I was peressing the pay by card option. I did poswt the problem on warley web page and they took the p*ss I miss typed the web site 

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

My show guide arrived yesterday, makes it feel a lot more 'real' somehow - just hope my back allows travel this year...

One suggestion, can the guide be better packed please.  The tape securing the card was half attached to the content leaving an open flap the whole length, as there was no plastic wrap around the guide I reckon I was lucky it escaped the rain we've had in the last few days - I appreciate there's a huge job and cost in getting these out but more care in future would be welcome.

Regards, Gerry 8)

• RMweb Premium

An update on my earlier post - I tried booking a ticket via my Windows-based work computer as well and still got the same error message! Ended up phoning up and pre-booking instead!

If anyone here is part of the Warley club, it must be interesting to look at the advance online sales figures and see if anyone at all has managed to successfully pre-book a ticket?

An update on my earlier post - I tried booking a ticket via my Windows-based work computer as well and still got the same error message! Ended up phoning up and pre-booking instead!

If anyone here is part of the Warley club, it must be interesting to look at the advance online sales figures and see if anyone at all has managed to successfully pre-book a ticket?

Got my tickets online ages ago with no problems at all. 

• RMweb Premium

Many people seem to be having no trouble in booking but I will pass this on as it is a real concern..

As for the show guides - these were all parcelled up at the Club by members this week - I will pass on the se comments also.

Baz

Just been looking at the NEC website.

Would I be right in thinking that as someone arriving by car, there is a parking charge of £12, or even £20 if I wish to be next to the Hall, and that this is on top of the entry fee with no offset?

Perhaps someone could advise.

Many thanks,

John.

• RMweb Premium

Yes there is a car parking fee of £12 unfortunately. It has gone up this year and, although the Club provided pre-paid car parking tickets for the layout/demos they are in no position to be able to pay for everyone. 

There are a number of other car parks in the area and I am sure that some one can advise of stations which offer cheap car parking with a train connection to Birmingham International.

BUT if you have a blue badge you can park on site in one of the special car parks.

Baz

Yes there is a car parking fee of £12 unfortunately. It has gone up this year and, although the Club provided pre-paid car parking tickets for the layout/demos they are in no position to be able to pay for everyone. 

There are a number of other car parks in the area and I am sure that some one can advise of stations which offer cheap car parking with a train connection to Birmingham International.

BUT if you have a blue badge you can park on site in one of the special car parks.

Baz

Most West Midlands train station car parks are free!

The main problem you'd get is that these stations don't have many trains (usually 1 or 2 per hour). Lea Hall, Marston Green, Hampton-in-Arden and Berkswell are probably the best ones to go for. Only £2.90 Off-Peak return or £3.90 1st class return (though London Midland first class is hardly different than standard apart from the fact it is less busy)! Saving of £9.10! That is at least an extra wagon for you to buy at Warley ;)

• RMweb Premium

However this is still chargeable - disabled parking is nearer to the hall but still the same £12 charge

http://www.thenec.co.uk/visiting-us/disabled-visitors#

I got involved in a long argument last year with a member of NEC staff who was refusing us access to the disabled parking area by Hall 5 as we were exhibitors with a disabled badge but as we hadn't booked in at the Warley desk we did not have our parking permit with us. In previous years we have parked there for free and there had never been a man on the gate but he was there that time with a cash bag selling tickets. In all other car parks it's pay on exit. Eventually he let us in as it seemed pointless driving all around the Centre just to collect a permit to prove we had a right to be there. We had all the other permits issued by the NEC staff allowing access to the central area and of course all the other Warley paperwork - perhaps we were just unlucky and caught him on a bad day . . !

You can park at Birmingham International Station Car Park for £6. It is usually closer to hall 5 than the NEC car parks and the walk is undercover all the way (unlike parking in the NEC car parks which could involve a fair trek in the rain!)

Archived