East London Finescale Model Railway Exhibition - 2015

andytrains

East London Finescale Model Railway Exhibition - 2015

Saturday 7th November 2015 10.30am – 5pm

Sunday 8th November 2015 10am – 3pm

Whybridge Junior School

Blacksmiths Lane Rainham

Essex  RM13 7AH

Good quality working layouts in various scales and gauges.

Trade support and Demonstrations.

Easy flat access to all parts of the venue.

Refreshments available.

Admission Adults - £5.00 Children - £2.50.

The venue is located in Blacksmiths Lane at the junction of South End Road, Rainham.

Buses 165, 365 and 372 stop in South End Road near the junction of Blacksmiths Lane.

165 and 365 runs via Romford, (BR & TFL) and Elm Park (District Line).

372 runs via Rainham, (BR) and Elm Park (District Line).

Large off road car park.

This exhibition is organised by the East Ham & District Model Railway Club.

(formerly the Barking & District Model Railway Society).

Here are the details of layouts and traders attending the exhibition:-

Horseblock Lane N gauge.

Detford OO gauge

Cheddar S4

Willowbrook Marsh O gauge

Fen Drove O gauge

Sandford & Banwell S4

Llams y nit 3mm

Harlyn Pier O gauge

Port Wenn O-16.5

John Dutfield

Bill Bedford

Eileen's Emporium

Dart Castings

Mike Thorp Photos

Poppys

Heritage in Motion

Dave's used books

Club sales stand

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I noticed that on the Saturday there is a clash with the Romford exhibition. I intend to visit both exhibitions and have worked out a route from Rainham to Romford avoiding both Hornchurch and Romford town centres (it won't work the other way).

I noticed that on the Saturday there is a clash with the Romford exhibition. I intend to visit both exhibitions and have worked out a route from Rainham to Romford avoiding both Hornchurch and Romford town centres (it won't work the other way).

Is that a bus route? Are you able to share it please.

• RMweb Premium

Is that a bus route? Are you able to share it please.

No its by car, take a left in leaving the Rainham exhibition into South End Road and a little under a mile will get you to Airfield Way on the right (its been a few years since I've been down that way but IIRC there are traffic lights there.) Follow the road round and after a couple of miles you should reach Hornchurch railway station. Just past the station turn right into Ravenscourt Grove, follow it down to Hacton Lane, turn left and across the traffic lights into Wingletye Lane which you should follow (about 3 to 4 miles) to its end at the A127 then its a case of following the A127 over the Gallows corner flyover to the next traffic lights which are Pettits Lane (turn left). If you took a more direct route it would more than halve the mileage but that would entail negotiating either Hornchurch or Romford town centres on a Saturday, not recommended. If you are using public transport use the buses as recommended by the organisers to take you into Romford but it would probably be quicker to get off the bus at Romford railway station and walk through and catch the 499 bus to Pettits Lane at the top end of the market place.

I would avoid that route as there is bridge replacement works going on on the A127 Southend Arterial Road where the railway goes underneath just before Gallows corner. From Wingletye Lane to the bridge a few days ago took me 30mins sitting in traffic.

One suggestion is to turn left out of Blacksmiths Lane into South End Road which eventually leads into Abbs Cross Lane follow to the end and turn left into Hornchurch Road, then turn right into Grosvenor Drive, to the end and turn left into Osborne Road, then turn right into Brentwood Road and at the roundabout take the second exit in Balgores Lane, this will take you all the way to a set of traffic lights at Main Road. (T Junction). Turn left and Pettits Lane is 4th on the right.

• RMweb Premium

I would avoid that route as there is bridge replacement works going on on the A127 Southend Arterial Road where the railway goes underneath just before Gallows corner. From Wingletye Lane to the bridge a few days ago took me 30mins sitting in traffic.

One suggestion is to turn left out of Blacksmiths Lane into South End Road which eventually leads into Abbs Cross Lane follow to the end and turn left into Hornchurch Road, then turn right into Grosvenor Drive, to the end and turn left into Osborne Road, then turn right into Brentwood Road and at the roundabout take the second exit in Balgores Lane, this will take you all the way to a set of traffic lights at Main Road. (T Junction). Turn left and Pettits Lane is 4th on the right.

Thanks for that information. I was born and brought up in the area so I know a few alternatives but the Abbs Cross Lane/Hornchurch Road Junction is definitely one to be avoided especially on a Saturday. Another possible route is to turn left the left again at Ford Lane and then back onto the A1112 to Becontree Heath and then take Whalebone Lane up to the Moby Dick and turn right onto the A12.

• RMweb Premium

I'll be coming from Harrow, and looking at the map and directions I think I'll be ignoring the latter and come off the M25 at Jc30 just as I did for the former venue. I bit longer but more certain than trogging around the North Peculiar.

If you do decide to leave by J30 take the next exit on the A13 and head into town. You will come to a roundabout after two or three miles, do a right there, follow the road round to the traffic lights, turn right and the exhibition is a short way down on the left.

There are roadworks, and therefore long queues, at Jcn30. Best avoid that one.

If you want to avoid J30 turn off at J29 and head towards London. You will then pass under Hall Lane flyover, the next turning about 1 mile on the left is Wingletye Lane as I mentioned above. Follow this (about 3 miles) until you get to the traffic lights at Upminster Road, go across the lights and take the next right, this will bring you out at Hornchurch station, turn left at the station and follow the road round and this will bring you to Southend Road. Turn left into Southend Road and the exhibition is about half a mile on the right.

• RMweb Premium

I discussed routes too and from the show and between shows with some members at the club last night. I think I have identified another 'between shows' route that is shorter but will involve some traffic but still avoid the worst heavily trafficked areas. This is going to Roneo Corner, turning right passing Tesco's then next left into Park Lane, cross Brentwood Road into Albert Road then turn left into Victoria Road and then right onto the ring road under the railway, up to the Library then right into Main Road then second left into Pettits Lane. I have been warned about traffic/roadworks on the A13 but there are some alternative routes that I can use, I spent 20 years commuting by car on the A13 so I know most if not all of them.

• RMweb Premium

Please bear in mind that South End Road is three words not two.

You will go somewhere completely different if you put it in your Satnav, (if you have one), as two words.

And Rainham Road can be either North or South but not just 'Rainham Road' and passes through Dagenham, Rainham, Hornchurch and Romford. Locals refer to it as 'The Rainham Road'.

• 3 weeks later...

Eileens have posted the following on their site:-

Regrettably we are no longer able to attend this event.

We wish the organisers all the best with this event and hope to be invited next year.

I am not aware of who is replacing them at this time, but I will try and find out.

No its by car, take a left in leaving the Rainham exhibition into South End Road and a little under a mile will get you to Airfield Way on the right (its been a few years since I've been down that way but IIRC there are traffic lights there.) Follow the road round and after a couple of miles you should reach Hornchurch railway station. Just past the station turn right into Ravenscourt Grove, follow it down to Hacton Lane, turn left and across the traffic lights into Wingletye Lane which you should follow (about 3 to 4 miles) to its end at the A127 then its a case of following the A127 over the Gallows corner flyover to the next traffic lights which are Pettits Lane (turn left). If you took a more direct route it would more than halve the mileage but that would entail negotiating either Hornchurch or Romford town centres on a Saturday, not recommended. If you are using public transport use the buses as recommended by the organisers to take you into Romford but it would probably be quicker to get off the bus at Romford railway station and walk through and catch the 499 bus to Pettits Lane at the top end of the market place.

I see the 103 bus runs almost between the two venues, scheduled to take c40 minutes. I might do this.

Just got back from the club after getting things ready for tomorrow nights setting up (from 5pm - 9pm).

The 103 bus stops in Rainham Road, near Blacksmiths Lane, (Stop is called South Hornchurch Library, in both directions). About 5 minute walk to the exhibition at Whybridge Junior School at the other end of Blacksmiths Lane to South End Road.

The 103 runs past Romford Station, Rainham Station and Dagenham East Station.

We have not got a replacement for Eileens Emporium.

Back from the setting up on Friday night and then shopping for the last minute fairly fresh stuff.

Fresh stuff will be bought in the morning.

I will be back there about 7.30am to starts the bacon rolls for all concerned before the exhibition opens at 10.30am.

Andy.

I went to this show and found it pretty easy to get to by public transport - 103 bus from Dagenham East District Line. A pleasant little show with very high quality layouts. It was disappointing to see that attendance seemed sparse on the Saturday afternoon, although it did give me easy access to the secondhand photos stand, where I found lots of interesting photos.

Archived