Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonny

Mick has altered me to this set. Images 1, 2 and 6 are on the GE line. I think they are taken between Ingatestone and Chlemsford but the same style of OLE mast was used on the Shenfield to Southend line as well. Image 3 looks like Motts Lane crossing at Witham, Essex. 

It has changed since I took this photo, there is now a footbridge there not a level crossing

post-16423-0-72000900-1535554293_thumb.jpg

Relying on old memory, image 3 looks like north of Witham ( I lived there from 1982 -6, and never recovered ) facing south with the old mill on the east side of the line which was skirted by the Maldon branch. 2 & 5 are the same place facing opposite directions on one of the 'banks' either Ingatestone or Mountnessing, 2 is facing south, 5 - north. 

• RMweb Gold

I've had a look through my GER photos.

Photo 5 ( the B1) may be looking north at Church Lane crossing, north of Ingatestone.

The Class 31 (photo 2) may be taken from the overbridge south of Church Lane crossing, looking south.

Photo 1 might be just north of Church Lane crossing, from the eastern side, but I'm not sure.

I wonder if photos 3 and 4 are on the Cambridge line?

David

Edited by DaveF

Thanks everyone. The Witham - Ingatestone area does tie in with a few more that are in that area. 

Here are some further variable quality ones from Essex; some being more easily identifiable than others, I suspect. 

Image 6

post-4474-0-56601000-1535616026_thumb.jpg

Image 7

post-4474-0-61713100-1535616038_thumb.jpg

Image 8

post-4474-0-17426200-1535616053_thumb.jpg

Image 9

post-4474-0-78914300-1535616074_thumb.jpg

Image 10

post-4474-0-90873800-1535616089_thumb.jpg

Image 11

post-4474-0-53519800-1535616106_thumb.jpg

Image 12

post-4474-0-31298100-1535616119_thumb.jpg

Image 13

post-4474-0-58188700-1535616131_thumb.jpg

Image 14

post-4474-0-91339100-1535616150_thumb.jpg

Image 15

post-4474-0-42003600-1535616165_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonny

Some guesses

Image 8, not Essex, the DMU is a Derby 3 car suburban unit of WR origin.

Image 9, not Essex, the EMUs are ex LNWR Siemens units converted to AC overhead for the Lancaster and Morecambe services.

Image 10, Wickford? London end.

Image 11, The old station at Leigh on Sea

Image 13, Southend Central?

Image 14, Wickford?

Image 15, Billericay

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Clive.

On image 8 the destination blind does read 'Derby Carriage & Wagon Depot' but I just assumed the unit was brand new and the blinds had not yet been changed. 

Hi Jonny

A lot of new stuff from Derby was photographed on the Wirksworth branch, could it be somewhere on there?

Hi Jonny

A lot of new stuff from Derby was photographed on the Wirksworth branch, could it be somewhere on there?

I was thinking that Clive.

But there's a line on the extreme left of the photo so I don't think it's the Wirksworth branch. Anyone recognise the origin of the signalpost;

is it GW?

But there's a line on the extreme left of the photo so I don't think it's the Wirksworth branch. Anyone recognise the origin of the signalpost;

is it GW?

Can anyone with better eyesight suss out whether the track has conventional chair screws or Western-style through-bolts ?

Can anyone with better eyesight suss out whether the track has conventional chair screws or Western-style through-bolts ?

I'm not sure an original blown up helps much? 

post-4474-0-72507000-1535622393_thumb.jpg

Photo 5 ( the B1) may be looking north at Church Lane crossing, north of Ingatestone.

The Class 31 (photo 2) may be taken from the overbridge south of Church Lane crossing, looking south.

That's the one, I used to cycle there from my home (Fyfield) to watch the trains when I was in my early teens (early 60's), when I couldn't afford to go into London.

• RMweb Gold

Image 9, not Essex, the EMUs are ex LNWR Siemens units converted to AC overhead for the Lancaster and Morecambe services.

Which makes it the north bank of the Lune a bit downstream from the WCML bridge.

Been there, but only on a bike.

(Google street view from New Quay Road on the south bank shows the similarity.)

Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. The Witham - Ingatestone area does tie in with a few more that are in that area. 

Here are some further variable quality ones from Essex; some being more easily identifiable than others, I suspect. 

Image 8

attachicon.gifIMG_0145.jpg

With regards to photo 8, could it be Trent Junction. I know it used to be a very complicated set up, with a train just about ably to reach any direction, regardless of where it arrived from. Possibly a Derby to Derby test run. See this link, http://www.trentstation.com/   and look for the picture, middle left in the block of 6, the Class 25 on the North curve. If you look carefully there is a signal just visible above the 25. I think Photo 8 is a DMU stood at that signal.

Paul J.

I've edited this a couple of times as the link doesn't always work. You might get an error 404 come up, but clicking the "Otherwise, click here to be redirected to the homepage."  does take you to the right page.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With regards to photo 8, could it be Trent Junction. I know it used to be a very complicated set up, with a train just about ably to reach any direction, regardless of where it arrived from. Possibly a Derby to Derby test run. See this link, http://www.trentstation.com/   and look for the picture, middle left in the block of 6, the Class 25 on the North curve. If you look carefully there is a signal just visible above the 25. I think Photo 8 is a DMU stood at that signal.

Paul J.

I've edited this a couple of times as the link doesn't always work. You might get an error 404 come up, but clicking the "Otherwise, click here to be redirected to the homepage."  does take you to the right page.

is it GW?

Definitely not a GW signalpost or GW track.  The signal post is for an upper quadrant arm and has an LMS UQ pattern drop-off slot so if it is anywhere on the Western it would be an ex LMS line but I'm reasonably sure that it isn't on the Western.

It certainly looks very much like the signal at Trent Jcn and has the correct number of wires plus various other distinctly LM features.

• RMweb Premium

Paul J.

That looks like a good explanation to me, the photo being taken from the footpath that went from the station into Long Eaton.  See here:  https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=52.8858&lon=-1.2641&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Cheers, Dave.

• 4 months later...

I bought a job-lot of old slides showing preserved steam on the main line, or at heritage railway sites. 

The problem is that I do not recognise some of the countryside scenes. Someone must know this location, which may help me to identify some others. 

post-4474-0-48473300-1547204234_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1