Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Premium

A 1969 OS 1:2500 from old-maps shows some out-buildings were removed over the years giving a clearer route under the bridge from Station Square.

This also shows the signal in the photo, on the platform

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/313829/581695/12/100954

(Zoom out until you see the map. top-right of map are two blue boxes, click the first one to remove the blue layer from the map)

34 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

T thought it was Scotland as well but would never have placed it - there is a photograph of the bridge here https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4066409

Jim

Thanks very much Jim. I never thought of looking there. 

27 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

On Facebook someone else was looking for the location of this same picture, his deduction was it somewhere in the Leeds area due to other items in the selection of slides, but clearly that is not the case.

Good find

Sorry Woodenhead, but that was me as well. I thought it might be either Leeds or York because this slide was within a group at either York station or Leeds Central. I put the image up both here and Facebook to widen the scope of the potential audience. It was only when I came across two at Lockerbie further into the batch, did the penny drop - mainly because of the stonework which did not seem 'Yorkshire'.  Thanks everyone for comments, they do help immensely in cataloguing images for the future. 

1 minute ago, jonny777 said:

Sorry Woodenhead, but that was me as well. I thought it might be either Leeds or York because this slide was within a group at either York station or Leeds Central. I put the image up both here and Facebook to widen the scope of the potential audience. It was only when I came across two at Lockerbie further into the batch, did the penny drop - mainly because of the stonework which did not seem 'Yorkshire'.  Thanks everyone for comments, they do help immensely in cataloguing images for the future. 

You're Ron?

No, I'm not Ron; but someone called Ron must have shared the photo on Facebook across to another group. I posted the original on 'Vanished Rail Scenes'. 

(Actually, I'm surprised no one has criticised the photo there, because the scene is not entirely 'vanished') ;)

Edited by jonny777

24 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

No, I'm not Ron; but someone called Ron must have shared the photo on Facebook across to another group. I posted the original on 'Vanished Rail Scenes'. 

(Actually, I'm surprised no one has criticised the photo there, because the scene is not entirely 'vanished') ;)

Hmm so Mr Ron is either using other peoples pictures or he has a copy of the same slide - he's not claiming he took it but are there likely to be copies of said slide?

20 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

This appears to be somewhere along the GC, but there is not much track work left to go on and so I'm hoping someone is more familiar with these stations than myself. 

593459297_demolishedplatform19645.jpg.921de9cd86fd718fa0f27433460ec493.jpg

I driven over that bridge in the background, didn't realise till much later as it's been filled in now so it's a hill rather than a bridge.

12 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Charwelton

Just looking at Google Maps and the bridge that appears in the photo would appear to be still there, and there are are sharp bends on the road at each end, that one looks like it has a straight approach https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=52.2022&lon=-1.2162&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Difficult to get the right view though as the bridge that was at the station has gone and there is a lot of tree growth blocking the view

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Just looking at Google Maps and the bridge that appears in the photo would appear to be still there, and there are are sharp bends on the road at each end, that one looks like it has a straight approach https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=52.2022&lon=-1.2162&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Difficult to get the right view though as the bridge that was at the station has gone and there is a lot of tree growth blocking the view

Jim

The sharp bends were on the station bridge which is behind you on this image.

The iron ore line can be seen going off to the left, this went under the A361 which is the bridge in the picture, this has been filled in the intervening years and is now a hill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

The sharp bends were on the station bridge which is behind you on this image.

The iron ore line can be seen going off to the left, this went under the A361 which is the bridge in the picture, this has been filled in the intervening years and is now a hill.

What a sad photo! 

The A361 is the bridge the photo is taken from, looking north, down what would have been the steps to the platform. 

The ironstone line peels off to the left before the further bridge, presumably through the gate at the foot of the embankment, and runs roughly parallel to the road.

More details on the Disused Stations website here:  http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/charwelton/

Cheers, Dave.

12 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Here is another mystery location which has me foxed. From the others on the film, I suspect it is in the Cheshire/Lancashire area. 

2019-02-05-0006.jpg.39be5ffdfd5fc426a3abb1fa8bdc19ae.jpg

A person on Facebook has suggested this is Knutsford on the ex-CLC. 

• 3 weeks later...