Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Gold

Having seen the other photos I’m back on board with Pangbourne. 

The main line platforms were removed in the mid 70s to allow the line speed to be raised to 125 for HSTs (I believe from 90) by slewing the lines towards the island platform building.  It remained in place but with access only from the Reliefs side.

Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, jonny777 said:

You may well be right, Brian. I just thought the station signs under the awnings were blue, but that maybe my eyesight. The running in board doesn't look blue - and the more I stare at it the more regularly it shouts out "Pangbourne". 

It is definitely Pangbourne - and probably a 1950s photo as it still has gas lights on the platform and a GWR  blue on white enamelled notice on the Up Relief platform, definitely taken no later than April/May 1964 as the telegraph poles are still present.  The view is from adjacent to the west end of the (principal)  building on the Up Relief side looking over the opposite Down Relief platform towards the village (in the background), the railings around the subway stairs over on the island platform are one giveaway for the locationbut the general arrangement and background is pure Pangbourne. 

• 2 weeks later...

I found this image in a strip of negatives taken at Doncaster. The subject is 31285, but my attention was drawn to the livery of the coaches in the background. It is not one that I am familiar with, but then I live a long way from the ECML these days. Can someone enlighten me please? The info would help to date the image. 

1980540201_31285doncaster1995.jpg.0d2f7eff02cdc710e32a9e53b3cf0843.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I would say Swindon, this image is taken further from the mainline, but the pylons in the background seem similar, and is that grounded body the same one?

This was 1980 so by 1985 and after 'that' announcement I am guessing the yard had been cleared of alot of those locos.

The colour looks a bit off though, too brown and not not enough golden on my monitor.

Graveyard.JPG.78f74eb414e21572e0b9a0507a4127f5.JPG

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Thanks Dave. 

Yes I thought that about the Western livery. It might be the film, or my scanner but it looks similarly too brown on my monitor as well. 

But the van in  the background looks positively yellow

• Like 1

Some brake vans, especially departmental ones, had weird colour schemes. Here's one with a yellow end, blue sides and a home-made wooden nameplate "Bertie"

Bertie.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
Where did my text go!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Definitely Swindon Works most likely 1985, probably during the visit of the annual Swindon Ambassador Railtour, where things were dragged about to give an appearance. D1015 had been freshly painted in time for our visit and not long before or after Old Oak Open Day.

D1015 was Ochre Brown, if you look closely you’ll notice the other cab end had a wrap around yellow horizontal stripe that wrapped around the cab ends over the half yellow end... made it look very odd, no idea if it was authentic.

here is the history, and pictures of the other end,

http://www.westernchampion.co.uk/loco-d1015-history-pres.php

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Please help me with this. It is a purchased negative of a location that I can't say I have ever been to, which makes it a little worrying given how easy it appears to get close-up photos. 

2019-03-24-0002.jpg.8bd5d61fe529df4abcd4574088328b9d.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

EDIT: now solved - Elstree. Thanks to Clive Mortimore.

Hope you don't mind me piggybacking on this thread, but it seems to be where the mystery location experts hang out...

Over in my Pacer thread, I posted a photo of 141001 on a 4-track electrified main line:

... I've a suspicion it's between St Pancras and Bedford, but can't find my notes, or work out a potential candidate station.

Ta.

Edited by eastwestdivide
solved