Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

On 24/03/2019 at 15:30, The Stationmaster said:

And never arrived in traffic in that form.

Correct Mike - it only wore the 'T-stripe' for two days, it was photographed outside 'A' Shop in the snow in January '63 whilst awaiting inspection, approval for the experimental yellow end treatment was not given and it went straight back inside to have it painted over to match the other end. Even then the small yellow panels weren't standard, all four corners were radiused and the yellow didn't go down to the bufferbeam lip.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Surely, someone will recognise this station? If the photographer had moved his camera a little more to the right he/she would have included the station nameboard and my problem would have been sorted. 

2019-05-15-0002.jpg.f0d95542ba32305b6ee1d84d4a964824.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I can see lots of similarity with Chester (General); and it fits with the start of the station nameboard which is C, G, O or Q with a supplementary name beneath.  I think it is the Down bays - the line on the left is current platform 2 line on right is car park.

Paul.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, the huts were there when that photo was taken - but must have been removed soon after. 

If you look just to the left of the station sign on the same level as the word 'Chester', you can just make out a brick structure behind the huts with a narrow vertical gap in the brickwork. 

That structure can be seen in the photo I posted; but more of it has been revealed now the huts are gone. 

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

My first thoughts were Chester but the brick structure to the right was concerning me, the photo above shows there were some huts and things in that area.

I wasn’t sure at first:  it was the building on the right that convinced me.  Google maps isn’t working for me at the moment, but if you street view on Station Road from the car park entrance towards the station, the building with the ‘slit’ is still there converted into fancy offices. 

There is also the chimney growing out of the station building in both photos.

Paul.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

There is also the chimney growing out of the station building in both photos. 

Definitely Chester - Platform 3 (I think)? That 'chimney' is actually a 'shot' tower at the lead works. (molten lead dropped down it,  which cooled and formed into lead shot balls as it fell).

The train will be a local to Birkenhead Woodside.

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, billy_anorak59 said:

That 'chimney' is actually a 'shot' tower at the lead works.

I had wondered if it was myself: the angles line up with what is now Shot Tower Close.

Paul.

Does anyone recognise this location? Judging by the other photos on the film it is on the WCML between Preston and Lancaster, or maybe a little further afield.  There is very little to go on, as regards present day features which may have survived but there are some decent sized hills in the distance which suggest the train is southbound. 

2019-05-17-0001.jpg.2115b52b20027ab1956b0581622ef3ab.jpg

• Like 2

Is this mill area recognisable to anyone? 

The railway seems to have been much more complex here, and many sidings have already been removed. 

2019-05-18-0001.jpg.c9254fbfa94755590fce28ddf4861e41.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another location to identify. I thought maybe Hither Green, but the depot is not this close to the station. I dismissed Ramsgate as not being right for the locos present.  

1091449919_730031992.jpg.49aa661c142d71f14fb62eeff7d9a2c7.jpg

On 07/06/2019 at 15:46, jonny777 said:

Thanks very much. I can't say I ever remember locos parked up just there, ...........

More often units or coaching stock ..... I remember the prototype PEP stock lurking there and a couple of Mk1 Bullion Vans - often withdrawn stuff !

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

This is basically a question for the knowledgeable. The attached photo shows a pair of 31s passing Teignmouth c1991. They are 31464; and 31462 which looks to be sat rather higher on the bogies than 464. Also the second set of bodyside air louvres appear solid black rather than the grilles of 464. 

Was 31462 modified in some respect, which would account for the difference?

174196352_3146431462teignmouth1989.jpg.5031e58e0ea527df91e3163a5fba4487.jpg

• Like 1