Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

I need the help of a 47 expert again. This photo at Paignton shows one of the class in what appears to be Metals livery, and with a Thornaby? logo on the side. There can't have been many which fit this description.  Unfortunately the oil stain obscures much of the detail. 

2019-07-05-0003.jpg.cfd61a1246cee6d40fb810f6292c37ed.jpg

Edited by jonny777
spelling

• RMweb Premium

Oil down the sides of a Duff like that usually meant the oil cooler had failed. The oil pressure being higher than the water pressure when running, lead to the oil being expelled from the vent in the coolant header when it was topped up on shed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/09/2015 at 21:15, jonny777 said:

Yes, looking at it again I think you are right.

These are obviously easy, so here is one with less clues.

post-4474-0-21095600-1443298475_thumb.jpg

Going back to the Moorthorpe/Cudworth thing, I took a ride north on the line from Rotherham-Swinton-Moorthorpe-Leeds yesterday, and watched the mileposts out of the right hand side (East side of the line).

The last proper Midland-style post I noticed was at 165 || (from St Pancras), between Aldwarke and Swinton. From there, the posts are "new boring flat painted metal" style through 167 just N of Swinton to 168 ||| which seemed to be the last St Pancras measurement. After the site of Dearne Junction (just S of Bolton-on-Dearne), they started counting down from about 17ish (presumably the Swinton & Knottingley mileage from I think Burton Salmon Junction).

Many were missing or possibly in the undergrowth, but there were some 15s around Goldthorpe. 

At Moorthorpe, on the very first part of the line towards Pontefract/Ferrybridge, there was an 11-something in a squat concrete post style (similar to the LMS style at the bottom of this page: http://www.railsigns.uk/info/milepost2/milepost2.html ), but...

On the curve between Moorthorpe station and the Doncaster-Leeds line there was a Midland-style 175, exactly as per the original photo.

So we have a completely isolated milepost, where the ones each side of it are on completely different counts.

There's a lot more vegetation there now, and I think you'd have to go through someone's back garden to reach a similar vantage point today.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Eastwest. That is a great bit of detective work. I have no idea on the numbering of that milepost but at least you have confirmed the location of the photo. 

A recent Five Mile plan and a slightly less recent Quail map claim that the Moorthorpe curve is miled from a zero somewhere near Moorthorpe station South Kirkby Jn, so this 175 is indeed something of a mystery. 

Edited by Edwin_m

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwin_m said:

A recent Five Mile plan and a slightly less recent Quail map claim that the Moorthorpe curve is miled from a zero somewhere near Moorthorpe station, so this 175 is indeed something of a mystery. 

I think it's the other way Edwin. The curve is zeroed from South Kirkby Junction.

24 minutes ago, iands said:

I think it's the other way Edwin. The curve is zeroed from South Kirkby Junction.

You are correct (although it's not exactly at the junction).  I will edit the (mile)post.  I agree with previous posts that 175 looks right for the mileage from St Pancras, but that it's a mystery why it's still there as that mileage is supposed to end at the former Dearne Junction. 

Edited by Edwin_m

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

You are correct (although it's not exactly at the junction).  I will edit the (mile)post.  I agree with previous posts that 175 looks right for the mileage from St Pancras, but that it's a mystery why it's still there as that mileage is supposed to end at the former Dearne Junction. 

I guess that depends on where the junction is defined from. To my eyes (looking at the 5 mile diagram DOL 2) the toe end of 2243B points (Down Doncaster to Up Doncaster cross-over) is just shy of the 166 mile post - say 22 yards? That would make the 5 chains bit right, but this is pure conjecture on my part.

As for why the 175mp is still there, given the comments on others posts about how much scrap there is left lying around and the seeming unwillingness to remove it, it doesn't really surprise me that this mile post is still there.

5 hours ago, iands said:

I guess that depends on where the junction is defined from. To my eyes (looking at the 5 mile diagram DOL 2) the toe end of 2243B points (Down Doncaster to Up Doncaster cross-over) is just shy of the 166 mile post - say 22 yards? That would make the 5 chains bit right, but this is pure conjecture on my part.

As for why the 175mp is still there, given the comments on others posts about how much scrap there is left lying around and the seeming unwillingness to remove it, it doesn't really surprise me that this mile post is still there.

That may be so, but usually when a branch has a zero it's at the official position of the junction.  I have dim memories of walking this junction as a BR trainee circa 1988 and it had a loop or collery reception branching off the curve and continuing alongside the Leeds line for a distance towards Wakefield.  Rail Map UK shows the curve in crimson like the Doncaster-Leeds line (West Riding and Grimsby joint, but the RCH maps show it as part of the S&K so this is probably an error in Rail Map). But the current junction is shown in black (BR) with a crimson one about 100m west, suggesting the junction itself has moved eastwards.  So perhaps the zero was the original junction or wherever this parallel track ended at the time the line was re-miled.  All the more reason though to believe that the Midland 125 milepost has been obsolete for many decades. 

Edited by Edwin_m

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

That may be so, but usually when a branch has a zero it's at the official position of the junction.  I have dim memories of walking this junction as a BR trainee circa 1988 and it had a loop or collery reception branching off the curve and continuing alongside the Leeds line for a distance towards Wakefield.  Rail Map UK shows the curve in crimson like the Doncaster-Leeds line (West Riding and Grimsby joint, but the RCH maps show it as part of the S&K so this is probably an error in Rail Map). But the current junction is shown in black (BR) with a crimson one about 100m west, suggesting the junction itself has moved eastwards.  So perhaps the zero was the original junction or wherever this parallel track ended at the time the line was re-miled.  All the more reason though to believe that the Midland 125 milepost has been obsolete for many decades. 

You could well be right about the original position of the junction Edwin. It has been quite a few years since I last had a walk through that area and the clarity of the layout at that time has dimmed somewhat.

Hi Guys

Was down at mum's last week, cannot get anywhere near Moorthorpe slip location to take photograph due to lots of housing and vegetation.

Generally do we agree that this is the location even with the odd milepost?

Dave

Edited by Daveloco1
clarification
  • Agree 1

There seems to be enough evidence here to confirm the location, including someone reporting seeing the actual milepost from a train and several of us agreeing that the mileage from St Pancras would be about right.  The minor mystery is why the milepost is still there when it appears it has been obsolete, probably, for several decades. 

• Agree 1

I wonder if any SW England locals could identify this single track line please? 

I would guess it is Cornwall because of other images on the film, but it could be the Kingswear branch. The train reporting number may also give a clue. I believe the year to be 1954. 

IMG_3322.JPG.122786bf9361c5a679402181f7452c87.JPG

• RMweb Gold

Unlike many of the pics in this thread, if you waited around you could nearly repeat this one. A Castle there is by no means impossible, and a King was on duty there last year, maybe since? Yes, the stock would be Mk1s, but hey. 

• Agree 1