Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

This one is interesting. The demolition gangs have obviously been by, but the sleepers are all concrete but with holes to reduce weight/cost presumably. I am wondering if this might be part of the Nesscliffe/Maesbrook site, although as usual with high security facilities there is nothing marked on the OS maps of the era?

2019-12-02-0008.jpg.6e518e70e7e191933c6b31f074e303dc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Thanks very much Graham, although it would seem as though one of the photos might be reversed. 

Google street view would suggest the Wikipedia photo is reversed, the house is veru much modernised now

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.709034,-2.8619705,3a,75y,111.78h,78.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssU1mdqstUYnQ0S_hc0m_nw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

3 hours ago, jonny777 said:

This one is interesting. The demolition gangs have obviously been by, but the sleepers are all concrete but with holes to reduce weight/cost presumably. I am wondering if this might be part of the Nesscliffe/Maesbrook site, although as usual with high security facilities there is nothing marked on the OS maps of the era?

2019-12-02-0008.jpg.6e518e70e7e191933c6b31f074e303dc.jpg

Might those sleepers be the same type as the ones in the foreground of the grounded SMR wagon?  

4 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

Might those sleepers be the same type as the ones in the foreground of the grounded SMR wagon?  

Yes, they will be Edwin, thanks; as I have now peeled a sticker from the slide mount to discover the words Horton Ln, which I take to be Horton Lane (a few miles down the S&M). 

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I'm not sure what this is, but it was on the same film. 

2019-12-02-0009.jpg.406171185ddd413dffbffd3817e966a6.jpg

A pre war sentinel perhaps?

https://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt models pre war sentinel 1.jpg

7164/47184 did work on Clee Hill - and of course Sentinel are/were a Shrewsbury company....

Thanks Phil. I have been scouring the old maps for a private light railway in that area. The only one I found so far is just east of Minsterley. 

Edited by jonny777

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

I'm not sure what this is, but it was on the same film. 

2019-12-02-0009.jpg.406171185ddd413dffbffd3817e966a6.jpg

Possibly the quarry at Criggion, which was connected the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway. They certainly used Sentinels (which were of course built locally).

Edited by PatC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/11/2019 at 10:53, LMS2968 said:

An oddity is that the train is running wrong road: in the Up direction on the Down. The entrance to Bold Colliery sidings was on the Down side and trailed into the Down just immediately of the station, so presumably it is about to use that way in. Except that there was a facing Up / Down crossover just ahead of the sidings connection, allowing direct entry from the Up.

Don't know the answer to that one.

I remember going to the Rainhll 150 celebration. My memory is that all the exhibits were stabled in the sidings at Bold power station (not far behind the photographer)

2 minutes ago, 62613 said:

I remember going to the Rainhll 150 celebration. My memory is that all the exhibits were stabled in the sidings at Bold power station (not far behind the photographer)

Yes, they were, but there was direct access into the sidings from the Up, so ne need to work wrong road along the Down. Just seems strange that this is what's happening here.

7 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

How about this one?

Works no. 7026/1928, British Quarrying Co., Criggion, Montgomeryshire

Excellent Phil. 

This photo purports to show the abandoned trackbed at Criggion quarry. 

criggion_trackbed_1960s.jpg.7860ca7f508927d5d54894fd4eba4749.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice photo! Wonder if that is the shed the loco is in on the other side of the hedge?

Hornby did a wagon....https://www.hattons.co.uk/250921/hornby_r6805_three_plank_open_wagon_granomac_criggion_/stockdetail.aspx

Also interesting military history in the area.....http://shropshirehistory.com/military/camps.htm

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Nice photo! Wonder if that is the shed the loco is in on the other side of the hedge?

Hornby did a wagon....https://www.hattons.co.uk/250921/hornby_r6805_three_plank_open_wagon_granomac_criggion_/stockdetail.aspx

Also interesting military history in the area.....http://shropshirehistory.com/military/camps.htm

Yes, you could be right. It is corrugated and the shed appears to be of the same tall and relatively thin dimensions. 

Does anyone recognise this loco shed? I thought it might be Croes Newydd until I looked at photos there which show it to be a completely different roof design, and the locos aren't right either. 

I think the loco might be 45428, but not quite sure (although not knowing the date either does help a great deal as Black 5s wandered far and wide).

45428_on_shed_1960s.jpg.6b3efc510c52c680d7abfb495c4b5687.jpg 

On 01/11/2019 at 21:26, The Stationmaster said:

That is exactly where it is and the steelwork visible in the background is the main power station building of Didcot PS (later Didcot A) under construction.  The photograph would definitely appear to have been taken after May 1965 because Foxhall Jcn Signal Box and the semaphore signals have gone together with the running line connections to the sidings on the right of the view.  Judging by the smoke and positions of people on the footplate it appears that the engine is setting back towards Didcot station - perhaps after turning.

Possibly the day of the last  'Castles to Chester on the day the through Paddington - Birkenhead services finished??

The steel work in the back ground is the infamous boiler house that collapsed a few years ago. Its instantly recognisable. The caravan park is still there as well, although properly laid out these days. Looking at the temporary nature of the caravans, some are touring caravans, I think this site was for workers building the power station and possibly on the old MOD site. A lot of workers came from up country and eventually stayed in Didcot. There wasn't the labour force in Didcot or surrounding area to build the power station. Most local skilled labour were either at Cowley or the UKAEA at Harwell.

A lot of electrical equipment for the GWML is in the area where the pway hut is to the top left of the photo.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Does anyone recognise this loco shed? I thought it might be Croes Newydd until I looked at photos there which show it to be a completely different roof design, and the locos aren't right either. 

I think the loco might be 45428, but not quite sure (although not knowing the date either does help a great deal as Black 5s wandered far and wide).

45428_on_shed_1960s.jpg.6b3efc510c52c680d7abfb495c4b5687.jpg 

First thought was definately Carstairs, bit the roof is wrong.  But I was not far away, it is Stirling, looking South.

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 3

Thanks Jim, you have saved me a lot of heartache.

As all the previous photos had bee centred on or near Shrewsbury and Wrexham, and the Black 5 was possibly a Farnley Junction loco, I would have had a very painful brain trying to look at all the likely English/Welsh loco sheds. 

22 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Excellent Phil. 

This photo purports to show the abandoned trackbed at Criggion quarry. 

criggion_trackbed_1960s.jpg.7860ca7f508927d5d54894fd4eba4749.jpg

It's still there - see Google Street view at  52.726987°  -3.048066°, looking NE.  driven past it many times going to Criggion Quarry, but never stopped to photograph it!

• Thanks 1