Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

On 03/12/2019 at 09:31, jonny777 said:

This one is interesting. The demolition gangs have obviously been by, but the sleepers are all concrete but with holes to reduce weight/cost presumably. I am wondering if this might be part of the Nesscliffe/Maesbrook site, although as usual with high security facilities there is nothing marked on the OS maps of the era?

2019-12-02-0008.jpg.6e518e70e7e191933c6b31f074e303dc.jpg

The sleepers appear to be WW2 era MoD types as is the 75lb/yd flat-bottom rail.

Ray.

• Thanks 1

Could this be Wrexham? I have scoured the ltd maps for locations, but the vast bulk of the building in the background is where I come unstuck. If there is a name on the building, I can't read it. The loco is 45419 which was at Chester late in its life, but before that was a Rugby loco. However, given the previous Stirling image, I have lost faith in the Shropshire/NE Wales area for locations. 

45419 1960s .jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Could this be Wrexham? I have scoured the ltd maps for locations, but the vast bulk of the building in the background is where I come unstuck. If there is a name on the building, I can't read it. The loco is 45419 which was at Chester late in its life, but before that was a Rugby loco. However, given the previous Stirling image, I have lost faith in the Shropshire/NE Wales area for locations. 

45419 1960s .jpg

The signals appear to be ex-GWR lower quadrants. 

The building is pretty big; I'm trying to think what might be that size. Options might include a steel rolling mill, covered workshops in a shipyard or perhaps part of an aircraft factory. There is a logo on the side, which looks like a long series of arches.

I thought of Shotton, but the steelworks was on the opposite bank of the Dee to the station - which rules that out. Brymbo was on the top of a hill, and I have a photo in that area for comparison anyway. 

By sheer coincidence, I have discovered that the photos may well be the work of Brian Cowlishaw. 

This is what remained of Kinnerley depot, at the junction of the Criggion branch, in the 1960s.

318385987_kinnerleywddepot1960s.jpg.2fdd3e7f7ec6caa1e8e9350f97b640dd.jpg

• Like 5

This is a long shot. 

Could anyone identify this rural halt? I know there is not much to go on, but judging by other images it ought to be in West Wales and possibly on the Aberystwyth - Carmarthen route. 

2019-12-06-0001.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely no idea of the location, but interesting track fastenings - steel sleepers perhaps? Maybe this might help with narrowing down the location.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cruckton-Railway-Station-Photo-Edgebold-Ford-Crosgates-Shrewsbury-Line-1-/262480735999

Hmm

Bullhead rail - platform railings - but so much else looks right....

Don't think the platform brickwork is the same, but looks like it is on the same railway.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Don't think the platform brickwork is the same, but looks like it is on the same railway.

I can't see another station looking like it. As the picture posted had the track in quite good condition I wonder if the apparent difference in platform height is that for speed when the WD rebuilt that section c1941 they laid the track on top of the existing ballast thus raising the rail level?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I can't see another station looking like it. As the picture posted had the track in quite good condition I wonder if the apparent difference in platform height is that for speed when the WD rebuilt that section c1941 they laid the track on top of the existing ballast thus raising the rail level?

The general topography just looks right doesnt it! Like you for the locations to be the same I concluded that relaying had taken place - plus removal of other surplus fittings, although perhaps the station name board was removed to confuse any Fallschirmjager landing in the vicinity?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

You'd have to get up very early in the morning to convince me that was a different location.

Your suggestions are very plausible

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

15 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cruckton-Railway-Station-Photo-Edgebold-Ford-Crosgates-Shrewsbury-Line-1-/262480735999

Hmm

Bullhead rail - platform railings - but so much else looks right....

Thanks very much Phil.  An excellent piece of detective work. 

No wonder I was getting nowhere with the West Wales halts. 

The slightly leaning telegraph pole by the platform edge, and the curve away into the distance seem to be identical. 

Here is my next mystery, but maybe easy to others (hopefully). 

There appear to be ex-LNER and LMS locos on the left, but maybe an ex-GWR loco on the passenger train. The advert for the Hastings and Thanet Building Society just adds to my confusion, although I realise some companies had ads somewhat outside their branch area at times.  Sorry that I can't improve the exposure. 

2019-12-07-0001.jpg.9dd59e7c852f5c12542d8b1403891abf.jpg

• Like 2