Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

There's 2 vehicles on the right which implies this is a reasonably large station.

They look like Mk1 coaches. The van to the left of the crab looks to be in a bay. The platforms look too straight to be Crewe, but what about Preston?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

They look like Mk1 coaches. The van to the left of the crab looks to be in a bay. The platforms look too straight to be Crewe, but what about Preston?

It's got wires, so not Preston. Also Has a glass sided footbridge of WCML 1960s style?

What I thought were wires may be a scratch.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Wolverhampton? It is a guess based on the route to/from Shrewsbury. 

I did think it may be Shrewsbury but couldn't match the platforms up. I think the stuff in the steam which I thought was a footbridge could be the end of an old overall roof. Possibly the clock at midnight gives a clue as well?

I see what you mean with the girders in the steam. I think they may well be a roof span and it might be Shrewsbury while undergoing removal of the overall roof? 

I know the roof was taken down in the early 1960s, but not sure exactly when and Wikipedia seems not to know either. 

• RMweb Gold

Shrewsbury was my thought with the lit up footbridge in the distance above the parcels van being ‘the Dana’ that spans the station but as signal engineer says the platforms don’t match up (if it did the pic would be looking at plat 6 from the current platform 7 looking north) 

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Gold

On 10/12/2019 at 19:26, jonny777 said:

Here's another. As I mentioned, not wonderful quality but New Street has never been a place for good photography really. 

2019-12-10-0003.jpg.8d55a6f1882ab7cf01849b14a2331dc4.jpg

If you look carefully there is at least one more track between the two platform roads, so it can't be Shrewsbury (Salop). It does look annoyingly familiar though.

Paul J.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Swindon 123 said:

If you look carefully there is at least one more track between the two platform roads, so it can't be Shrewsbury (Salop). It does look annoyingly familiar though.

Paul J.

Indeed. Also, the coaches/vans behind the loco are on a long platform not a bay like the van to the left of the loco.

Edited by brushman47544

27 minutes ago, Swindon 123 said:

Paul J.

I was right. It was familiar, annoyingly so. My submission for location is Chester, precisely the Crewe end bay platforms (not the ones on the island platform). The nearest photo I have found that seems to match the original is thus.

150262. Chester. 25/07/18.

Paul J.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1