Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

9 hours ago, DY444 said:

The Scottish based locomotive, tall signals etc are a red herring.  It's Micklefield

Well, I will have to bow to your superior knowledge; but I would have never arrived at that from the blurry letters on the station sign. 

Thanks for getting me out of the Scottish rut. 

Edited by jonny777

On 28/12/2019 at 15:39, TheSignalEngineer said:

Thought the Scottish loco could be a bit of a blind alley as I saw one heading south at Mitre Bridge in the late 1980s.

I thought you might like this. 

It is 47663, complete with Scottie Dog emblem, powering through Par in 1988. 

2020-01-01-0004.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have posted this on the 'railtour' thread but, as viewing figures for that are somewhat low, I thought I would add the image here as well. 

Does anyone recognise this station?  It could be SR, because this is a railtour. 

45104 27:12:86.jpg

Edited by jonny777

Poor quality box brownie b/w photos time now. These were probably destined for the skip, but I thought I might find one or two interesting images. 

Here is a WD with a long train of cattle wagons; but does anyone recognise the location? 

2020-01-03-0004.jpg.8db50e076a378f58a131e33e0e248e44.jpg

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold
On 01/01/2020 at 16:55, jonny777 said:

I have posted this on the 'railtour' thread but, as viewing figures for that are somewhat low, I thought I would add the image here as well. 

Does anyone recognise this station?  It could be SR, because this is a railtour. 

45104 27:12:86.jpg

Following Keefer's link Crowborough looks a good bet...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60539035@N02/6250937888/in/photolist-2gxiBMK-2hYNaV2-awnG4b

Happy days - was once dragged out of tent in the middle of the night whilst camping there with CCF only for our officer - who was school biology head - to show us glow-worms.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Following Keefer's link Crowborough looks a good bet...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60539035@N02/6250937888/in/photolist-2gxiBMK-2hYNaV2-awnG4b

Happy days - was once dragged out of tent in the middle of the night whilst camping there with CCF only for our officer - who was school biology head - to show us glow-worms.....

Agree. The man in the orange hi-vi can be seen in the same position in the cab in both photos. Same photographer or standing next to each other.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Thanks 1

On 03/01/2020 at 13:50, jonny777 said:

Poor quality box brownie b/w photos time now. These were probably destined for the skip, but I thought I might find one or two interesting images. 

Here is a WD with a long train of cattle wagons; but does anyone recognise the location? 

Utter wild guess, which may be entirely tosh: Mirfield

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, 62613 said:

My first thought was Mirfield but I couldn't see anything which corresponded with that shed in the background on any pictures I could find of the place.  My own photos were taken there in 1970 after there had been some simplification and I've now checked them on the website where they are posted and I still can't make them fit that view with the WD.

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2020 at 13:50, jonny777 said:

22 hours ago, 62613 said:

32 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

My first thought was Mirfield but I couldn't see anything which corresponded with that shed in the background on any pictures I could find of the place.  My own photos were taken there in 1970 after there had been some simplification and I've now checked them on the website where they are posted and I still can't make them fit that view with the WD.

Likewise my first thought was Mirfield - and assuming the caption is correct here we go....thanks to Rail Photoprints

https://railphotoprints.uk/p883082520/h2778FB75#h2778fb75

Difficult to see detail in the original photo but the building and background topography do look correct

• Like 2

Brilliant work 62613, Mike and Phil. 

I did a 'Mirfield' search on the Railphotoprints site earlier, and got a few pages of results, but because I was in a hurry I only had a look through the first dozen or so images and saw nothing convincing but I obviously didn't reach that one. 

I think the 3 gables and the double light in front of them is unlikely to be repeated anywhere else. 

Thanks very much. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The NLS maps (OS 25 inch 1892-1914) certainly puts the Goods Shed in the right place for Mirfield, and the track layout fits too. As Jonny says, well done all for working this one out.

• Like 1

What made me guess that was the train/loco combination; I thought it might be one of the cattle trains connecting with the Irish ferries at Liverpool, and which ran via Standedge. When was the speed signalling, featured on Phil's photo, abolished? Sometime in the mid-60s?

Edited by 62613
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The PWay did it for me... 3 lines of jointed FB track .... when I looked at the first photos. But like Mike I couldn’t find an immediate match for Mirfield so my mind too went to where the cattle traffic ran to but nothing correlated so back to the first thought - nothing immediately on google or Flickr so a search for Mirfield Railway on google came up with that shot ... but a long way down the hits, persistence was required! 

Great minds think alike - or more likely here fools seldom differ! 

Took about 45 mins to solve but I love a challenge....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Likewise my first thought was Mirfield - and assuming the caption is correct here we go....thanks to Rail Photoprints

https://railphotoprints.uk/p883082520/h2778FB75#h2778fb75

Difficult to see detail in the original photo but the building and background topography do look correct

That is very definitely Mirfield - the big giveaway is the signal.

Here are a couple of my rather murky photos taken in 1970 from the same station platform and looking in roughly the same direction.  They came back with a rude note from Kodak about under exposure but I was very well pleased with them as the main purpose of the photos was to record the signal aspects and everything else was very secondary to that!

997537137_Mirfield1.jpg.93e671b2b01bfcf11bcdb9fff32dc506.jpg

244825156_Mirfield2.jpg.b9fc9a4a8b1a604d4ac8a6e3f45a2f84.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

That is very definitely Mirfield - the big giveaway is the signal.

Here are a couple of my rather murky photos taken in 1970 from the same station platform and looking in roughly the same direction.  They came back with a rude note from Kodak about under exposure but I was very well pleased with them as the main purpose of the photos was to record the signal aspects and everything else was very secondary to that!

997537137_Mirfield1.jpg.93e671b2b01bfcf11bcdb9fff32dc506.jpg

244825156_Mirfield2.jpg.b9fc9a4a8b1a604d4ac8a6e3f45a2f84.jpg

Regardless of the rude comments its a cracking record of the speed signalling Mike. That clump of trees on the skyline just to the right of the box is a key reference point - just visible in the murk in the original photo, as is the roof of the box.

Class 40 on that coal train in 1970?

Edited by Phil Bullock
Spelling