Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Premium

No idea where No. 10 is but, at the far left in the distance is some sort of building/monument/statue that someone recognizes? 

Edited by iands
Spelling correction.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, iands said:

No idea where No. 10 is but, at the far left in the distance is some sort of building/monument/statue that someone recognizes? 

I wonder if it is Hinksey yard, south of Oxford, in which case the tower in the background would be Nuffield College

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuffield_College,_Oxford#/media/File:Nuffield_College_Tower.jpg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Orion said:

No12 Georgemas Junction?

My thoughts too, from before the facing crossover (to run onto the Thurso branch?) was removed.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I wonder if it is Hinksey yard, south of Oxford, in which case the tower in the background would be Nuffield College

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuffield_College,_Oxford#/media/File:Nuffield_College_Tower.jpg

It is indeed Hinksey N. The gantry with the Up Main signal is characteristic. I was introduced to it in October 1975 and it only went in the last couple of years with the latest resignalling.

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

It is indeed Hinksey N. The gantry with the Up Main signal is characteristic. I was introduced to it in October 1975 and it only went in the last couple of years with the latest resignalling.

Paul.

Agree absolutely - the gantry structure dated from 1942 or '43 I believe (and without bothering to check the exact date).  Something of a rarity on the WR for a colour light signal head to be mounted on a pre-existing semaphore gantry or bracket structure.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Definitely Hinksey. You can see one of the distinctive supports of Oxford ice rink above the first HEA.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Agree absolutely - the gantry structure dated from 1942 or '43 I believe (and without bothering to check the exact date).  Something of a rarity on the WR for a colour light signal head to be mounted on a pre-existing semaphore gantry or bracket structure.

The same thing was done for the signals at the Didcot end of Oxford station too where the rather ornate pre-existing gantry was re-used for the colour light signals when the Oxford panel box scheme was done.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

If no-one can identify the location of No. 13 then you might want to go off at a tangent and try the thread :-

There is a great deal of knowledge of which types of pylon went in where and when.

Kev.

(I visit that thread, but the trouble is I still, don't know my L2 from my elbow!)

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think I must have photographed it dozens of times by now, almost every time I've been stopped at it, the same goes for the bracket at the up end of Oxford station.... sad to see them both gone now of course.... the same night I photographed the bracket at Oxford I climbed up it to take a few shots, it wobbled about all over the place as I went up the ladder.... so glad I took them now...

l

Oxford Snow #2.jpg

OX Nocturnal.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

13 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

Definitely Hinksey. You can see one of the distinctive supports of Oxford ice rink above the first HEA.

And I think the house roofs you can see behind the fence are in Marlborough Road which is built along the route of the railway to the former terminus at Grandpont, closed in 1872.

Taunt_map_of_Thames_in_Oxford_1879_with_additional_labels_smaller.jpg.65e7ba788c41ec6a56adef3f720cf0ba.jpg

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 1

Thankyou all, for the informative replies. 

Here are some more, but b/w this time. I could guess at a few, but I would prefer to have definite id's rather than be wildly out. 

Number 16

Scan-170930-0001.jpg.4bef6db83efad55326dc966744df6070.jpg

Number 17

Scan-170930-0003.jpg.8c1f4ce1121977c5c963e93c333d284e.jpg

Number 18Scan-170930-0004.jpg.adaeb3817243ba3058308dd0fe94d36b.jpg

Number 19

Scan-170930-0006.jpg.63633cc00bee109b27782f288a0eda23.jpg

Number 20

Scan-170930-0007.jpg.e1608b3774f4b49a0c6608a9339df80c.jpg

Number 21

Scan-170930-0008.jpg.bc2070af766677faecb1c6551b4a52b3.jpg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Number 16

Scan-170930-0001.jpg.4bef6db83efad55326dc966744df6070.jpg

That's the first time I've seen a 5X with a self-weighing tender. I suspect that the engine, 5632, is withdrawn (w/e 9/10/65), last shed Newton Heath and cut up at Cashmore's, Great Bridge.

Edited by LMS2968
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

That's the first time I've seen a 5X with a self-weighing tender.

Exactly what I was going to say! I wonder if it was swapped with 45632's regular tender to be scrapped. I know of another case where a Jubilee swapped tenders (gave up a Stanier tender, got a Fowler) on the way to the scrapyard.

Anyway - I think the picture (Number 16) is taken at Newton Heath shed. See here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/6276008789

Edited by pH
  • Thanks 1