Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, great central said:

Is it Chippenham? I've only been there once but the track missing from the island platform is in my memory.

Yes, it is Chippenham (photo taken from a down train).

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Not just Chippenham, but a shot which answers a long standing question about my home station!

I've modelled some of the buildings on the right behind the vans, but have only more recently found out about the sign running along the ridge of one of the buildings. However, I've not found a photo of the whole length of the roof with the sign in place so was unsure how long the sign was, albeit I suspected the whole length - as indeed this photo proves. 

Whilst a record of the location had been lost in the mists of time, I don't suppose you have a rough date, @jonny777?

12 minutes ago, HillsideDepot said:

Whilst a record of the location had been lost in the mists of time, I don't suppose you have a rough date, @jonny777?

From what I can gauge through the scribbles on the negative sleeves the date would appear to be September 1971. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, jonny777 said:

From what I can gauge through the scribbles on the negative sleeves the date would appear to be September 1971. 

Quite likely I would think.  

The barrow crossing indicator and ground frame definitely date it to post December 1966 but a good decider would be the date at which the building was demolished which would give a definite 'no later than' date..

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

When did the track at Chippenham move across so there were tracks on both sides of the island and the side platform had no track?  It was definitely like that in the 1990s.  

That was done in preparation for the introduction of the HSTs, on 01/02/1976 according to  RA Cooke.

Looking more closely at Cooke, the Down Sidings GF is recorded as into use 04/12/66, as noted above by The Stationmaster, but it adds "moved to Downside 16/11/73" which I take to mean the Downside of the Down line. rather than the location in the photo.

The sign on my model should be fixed this evening, even if the period normally portrayed by the layout's rolling stock is 73/74 by when continued existence of the real sign is questionable, it makes a nice addition to the building.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone recognise this station? 

The signals look Southern, but the running in board faces the tracks. The name appears to be short though, judging by the plate on one of the lamp posts. 

2020-09-07-0005.jpg.4a93a499351864191ff4c480473217b9.jpg

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

A 35 mph PSR is hardly what you want on a main line. But the banner implies a wish to keep trains going, even if the distant had been on. Interesting. 

Looking at the 1956 box diagram the site of the banner was only just over the length of a crossover in advance of the position of the Home Signal and it was presumably the banner for the Starter?  In 1956 the Starter was a splitting signal with typical LSWR 'sky' arms so I presume the banner went in when that signal was replaced by a much shorter one.  I wonder if the Home Signal was moved back at the same time?

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This was taken from a moving train, and so the quality is not perfect. 

I think I recognise the location, but can't quite place it. It is Exminster? 

2020-09-07-0008.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd say that is Melksham facing towards Thingley Junction / Chippenham. 

A similar angle, by Roger Winnen, on the excellent Cornish Railway Society site :
_9690280_orig.jpg

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/bradford-jct-to-chippenham.html 

Edited by HillsideDepot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe this to be Carnforth circa 1967, at least the other shots on the strip of negatives are from there. 

My curiosity is aroused by why LTS tank 'Thundersley' is there? It was withdrawn in 1956, restored in Norwich and spent many years at Bressingham. Was it loaned to the fledgling Carnforth mpd preservation movement? 

I had a quick look online, but found nothing which mentioned NW England. Does anyone have any info? 

2020-09-11-0002.jpg.38f1d2878084187269b7ba33f60a12a8.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I discovered a lot from searching for the number of this unit. 

It started life as a class 307, and became a test unit for AC EMUs before being rebuilt as a test EMU for DC traction.  However, I don't recognise the station. Have you good people any ideas? 

2020-09-27-0019.jpg.438185567b2587a694275e2501ac73d7.jpg

• Like 1

Presumably somewhere on the Southern rather than elsewhere with third rail - looks like it might be a CEP on the front but it's a bit distant to tell ........ presumably an island platform on the right so four-tracked : the gentle curve and distant footbridge suggest Orpington - but the odd roof's not right. A blow-up of the area beyond the platforms might give clues (?).