Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

18 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Thanks for your thoughts. The loco which is next to D2407 has a barely readable number, but it looks like D2510 which was also cut up at Booths. 

However, it was a Rugby loco before withdrawal and confuses the issue even further. 

D2510 was a Hudswell Clarke loco and looked different. The loco behind D2407 is a Hunslet (either and 05 or the unclassified 0-4-0 equivalent), the position of the bake reservoir and no front step would imply the 0-4-0 version D2950-D2952. WD 12/67, 12/67 and 12/66 cut 1/83, 6/68 (CF Booth) and 8/67 Slag Reduction Ikkles.

I just happened to be reading the relevant section of Butlins disposal book yesterday - it has photos of D2510 and D2950.

In terms of location it could be the wastes of Tinsley yard, it has a set of power lines running down the  west side.

Edited by Bomag
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bomag said:

D2510 was a Hudswell Clarke loco and looked different. The loco behind D2407 is a Hunslet (either and 05 or the unclassified 0-4-0 equivalent), the position of the bake reservoir and no front step would imply the 0-4-0 version D2950-D2952. WD 12/67, 12/67 and 12/66 cut 1/83, 6/68 (CF Booth) and 8/67 Slag Reduction Ikkles.

I just happened to be reading the relevant section of Butlins disposal book yesterday - it has photos of D2510 and D2950.

In terms of location it could be the wastes of Tinsley yard, it has a set of power lines running down the  west side.

D2950 was bought by Duport (Llanelli) Steelworks in May 1968, and worked there until the plant shut in 1980. Info from Michael Denman's book on the Nevill's Dock and Railway Co. He suggests it was preserved, but I can't find any reference to where.

1 minute ago, Fat Controller said:

D2950 was bought by Duport (Llanelli) Steelworks in May 1968, and worked there until the plant shut in 1980. Info from Michael Denman's book on the Nevill's Dock and Railway Co. He suggests it was preserved, but I can't find any reference to where.

Butlin has it cut 1/83 at Thyssen Llnelli after the preservation scheme failed.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, iands said:

WAFG? 

Wild Ars*d F***ing Guess, a forces term, or so I am reliably informed by a paratrooper mate.

5 hours ago, Bomag said:

Definitely not Tinsley as there are old style yard lamps in the background.

I'm thinking it's at the bottom side of the running/storage through shed at 36A.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Possibly, but D3159 was not an 08. 

I'm not sure which class number it would have been listed under, had it not have been withdrawn early. Maybe class 10/1? 

Blackstone engined, but BTH traction motors. I saw lots of class 10s but never saw any of those :(

Even more confusing for the shunter class designators (had the locos not been withdrawn early), would have been the Crossley engined ones with Crompton Parkinson motors; numbers D3117 to D3126. Never saw any of those either. :(

Edited by jonny777

5 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I'm not sure which class number it would have been listed under, had it not have been withdrawn early. Maybe class 10/1? 

Blackstone engined, but BTH traction motors. I saw lots of class 10s but never saw any of those :(

Even more confusing for the shunter class designators (had the locos not been withdrawn early), would have been the Crossley engined ones with Crompton Parkinson motors; numbers D3117 to D3126. Never saw any of those either. :(

I read an article a long time ago that covered what the early withdrawals - including D3/3 Crossley, D3/4 MB and D3/5 MB with BTH - could have been under TOPS.  The jist was that 09s would have been 08/1 or 08/2 (with 15mph, 20 mph and 27mph variants). The Crossley versions would have been 09 if they had lasted longer with MB/BTH as 10/1; if the Crossley locos had not survived and the MB/BTH had then they would have been Class 09.  How accurate that article was is uncertain; however given how BR worked at the time its could have been anything.

Thanks for that explanation Bomag, I can't remember reading that kind of article; but as you say it was a long time ago. It does seem perfectly feasible to do it the way you describe. 

Personally, I am just happy to have a photo of one of the unclassified ones; even though it was an Ebay purchase.  It only set me back £1.79. Some bargains appear by accident. 

I have decided to plump for Doncaster as the location, mainly because the Carr sidings area was so large and sprawling that it seems the most likely option. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Just a thought ( careful now ! ) - that's an unusual-looking point lever ....... might help tie down an area if anyone can suss out its origin.

And there were some like that at Carr Loco at Doncaster. (i.e Doncaster shed).  but they no doubt appeared elsewhere on former GN or (LN)ER infrastructure.

• Thanks 1

I have been trying to do some of my own research on the following photos, which were posted on a similar enquiry thread on the MM&M forum by carlwebus - thread linked here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/156346-unknown-locations/

In particular the two following photographs are proving very difficult to track down for me personally. I think that they are taken in GWR territory, from an autocoach/DMU/inspection saloon, and possibly on the same journey.

The station photograph at the top shows a cast iron notice but this is out of focus and cannot be read, however I think it may be a GWR one. Someone on the original thread noted that the track appears to have GWR two hole chairs, and I think the platform is of a concrete type found on some GWR branch lines.

But I just cannot locate the station, and believe me I have tried. I have looked across the GWR network extensively via Google, old OS maps and GWR route maps and I still cannot place where it is at all. I am pretty sure it is a GWR station, and probably not in the London or the SE, but I have checked literally every branch line in Wales, Devon, Cornwall and Wessex and still cannot find a match. I also checked all the branch lines in Shropshire, the Marches and Gloucestershire, again nothing. Really could do with some assistance on this one as the evidence strongly suggests it's GWR but nothing is turning up. The key to the photograph is that after the station the line goes under two bridges (the second one can be seen in the distance) and I wonder if it's also at the summit of a particular line. The track seems to peak into the distance.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

image.png.f82af113b5e26fd3dc66856f1746f051.pngimage.png.ed57b4a37731bcaffa71f45fdfc3c2d7.png

Edited by SD85
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/10/2020 at 09:13, jonny777 said:

D3159 was a class 3/5

The Crossley ones were class 3/3

Anyone's guess for a TOPS classification

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

It looks familiar, but I don't know why. Is it in the Forest Of Dean? Maybe Ruspidge?

I thought it might be around that area, but I checked Ruspidge already and I don't think it's that.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

from the railway-centre.com:

D3159 - http://www.railway-centre.com/d3152-d3166.html

D3117-26: http://www.railway-centre.com/d3117-d3126.html

(Traction Index http://www.railway-centre.com/traction-recognition.html )

British Rail Fleet Survey 7: Diesel Shunters (Haresnape/Ian Allan) was good for this, it was the first time I'd seen anything other than 'normal' BR shunters and included the older Class designations ( i.e. Dx/x).

Re: TOPS classes of not-EE-engined locos, I've never heard any mention of sub-classes - only the Class number for a particular engined class. That doesn't mean to say that there weren't alternative design/diagram codes for variations within a class, although that may have been a later TOPS thing.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, SD85 said:

I have been trying to do some of my own research on the following photos, which were posted on a similar enquiry thread on the MM&M forum by carlwebus - thread linked here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/156346-unknown-locations/

In particular the two following photographs are proving very difficult to track down for me personally. I think that they are taken in GWR territory, from an autocoach/DMU/inspection saloon, and possibly on the same journey.

The station photograph at the top shows a cast iron notice but this is out of focus and cannot be read, however I think it may be a GWR one. Someone on the original thread noted that the track appears to have GWR two hole chairs, and I think the platform is of a concrete type found on some GWR branch lines.

But I just cannot locate the station, and believe me I have tried. I have looked across the GWR network extensively via Google, old OS maps and GWR route maps and I still cannot place where it is at all. I am pretty sure it is a GWR station, and probably not in the London or the SE, but I have checked literally every branch line in Wales, Devon, Cornwall and Wessex and still cannot find a match. I also checked all the branch lines in Shropshire, the Marches and Gloucestershire, again nothing. Really could do with some assistance on this one as the evidence strongly suggests it's GWR but nothing is turning up. The key to the photograph is that after the station the line goes under two bridges (the second one can be seen in the distance) and I wonder if it's also at the summit of a particular line. The track seems to peak into the distance.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Well the one thing which can be said about it is that it is definitely (G)WR and most likely it actually ex GWR as opposed to taken over from another company post nationalisation.  In addition the slabs on the platform look typical Western as well although the tarmaced platform is a little unusual and is one of the features that suggests it could be a recently opened or revived station/halt.   The distant signal clearly visible in the lower photo appears to be the one in the distance - visible through the bridge in the upper picture which again seems a bit odd because it indicates a crossing loop yet there is a station platform that isn't at that loop but could be no more than a couple of hundred yards from it.

Another thing that interests me is that the lineside is not well cared for with growth overhanging the cess paths and the telegraph linbes appear to have gone although they might not show up too well in a photo.

So is the place to start looking a crossing loop without a station on a single line but a station or halt not far from that loop.   Or is it a new station that has been built on a preserved line (not that I can find one that fits!)?

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The distant signal clearly visible in the lower photo appears to be the one in the distance - visible through the bridge in the upper picture

All I see through the bridge when enlarging the upper photo is a second similar bridge with the same smoke staining at the top of the arch

enlarge.png.6985f437308d67a669845c1467bf48a2.png

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Well the one thing which can be said about it is that it is definitely (G)WR and most likely it actually ex GWR as opposed to taken over from another company post nationalisation.  In addition the slabs on the platform look typical Western as well although the tarmaced platform is a little unusual and is one of the features that suggests it could be a recently opened or revived station/halt.  

I would say recently revived rather than recently opened on the grounds that the cast iron sign looks rather ancient. Perhaps there had been until recently a decayed wooden platform that needed to be replaced.

I commented on the other thread where these pictures were posted that No.12 makes me think of some elevated plateau and the light-coloured bridges might indicate a limestone area such as the Cotswolds. I wondered about the M&SWJ, but couldn't find a match anwhere on that route.

On the other thread there was also a view taken from within a single line tunnel, which could possibly have been taken on the same journey.

[Edit] And it looks as if the platform has no ramp; could that be an illusion? If there is no ramp, what conclusion could we draw? That it was not a public station? Were there any exceptions to the rule that ramps were mandatory at the ends of passenger platforms?

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

Can we deduce anything about the era when the line was built from the fact that the bridges are built from stone? The GWR's turn-of-the century New Works seem generally to have been built in brick. Could we say that masonry bridges suggest construction before a certain decade?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Can we deduce anything about the era when the line was built from the fact that the bridges are built from stone? The GWR's turn-of-the century New Works seem generally to have been built in brick. Could we say that masonry bridges suggest construction before a certain decade?

The more important things about the bridges is that they are double line width which might serve as a clue although a number of GWR (or ones they oprerated although owned by smaller companies) had double line width overbridges when built.  However the use of stone is more a clue to the area in which the line was situated as railway builders generally tended to use locally available material for things like bridges if something suitable existed.   

The pictures were presumably part of a series judging by the numbers on them?