Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The pictures were presumably part of a series judging by the numbers on them?

yes they were originally posted in this thread 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/156346-unknown-locations/ (and another thread which I can't locate)

but there was a mix of locations - some in Ireland - so the others don't give any clues about these ones.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I'm not well versed in Isle Of Man railways, but this appears to be a steam loco on the electric mountain railway. 

2020-11-20-0004.jpg.10293abdff455205b313c1c0ce24a880.jpg

Looking south across Laxey Bay to Fairy Cottage from Laxey Head. Minorca is just round the bend and the A2 is the other side of the field on the right hand edge of the photo. Approx grid ref SC 4480 8397

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where is this please? The lines of withdrawn steam locos were commonplace at sheds in 1968, but my first thought of Holbeck is tempered by the fact there are multiple Claytons on view, and I don't remember any being allocated there. 

Could it be Gateshead which did have a class 17 allocation for a while?

2020-11-26-0025.jpg.d6c205ab26bc25f035c3e9f6a70274c2.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Where is this please? The lines of withdrawn steam locos were commonplace at sheds in 1968, but my first thought of Holbeck is tempered by the fact there are multiple Claytons on view, and I don't remember any being allocated there. 

Could it be Gateshead which did have a class 17 allocation for a while?

2020-11-26-0025.jpg.d6c205ab26bc25f035c3e9f6a70274c2.jpg

Reminds me of Kingmoor

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

No idea where it is, but Gateshead was a cramped site compared to that photo.  There were other buildings close in to the running shed.

Paul.

Thanks Paul. Yes I thought it was too wide a layout for Gateshead, but the other photos had all been at York and I was therefore looking for somewhere on the NE region of BR. 

But Kingmoor does seem a very good shout. 

Does anyone know where this might be? Granted it is not good quality, but seems to be a fair sized station although even the tracks in the foreground look slightly rusty on top. However, it may have been taken over the Christmas holidays. 

2020-11-28-0023.jpg.ad9e4b45e4833382ef4418aac293dd56.jpg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

It has been suggested elsewhere that this is the LNWR approach to Sandy before closure, but I would love to have confirmation of this. 

Does anyone know that area well?

That’s a good call!  Whilst I only know the site in four track days, to the right of the photo definitely has the right feel for Sandy.  Google and Apple maps won’t play ball to allow for confirmation though.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

It has been suggested elsewhere that this is the LNWR approach to Sandy before closure, but I would love to have confirmation of this. 

Does anyone know that area well?

Mr @chris p bacon might be able to assist with this.

Looks right to me, the signal box is in the correct position

Edited by beast66606
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Does anyone know where this might be? Granted it is not good quality, but seems to be a fair sized station although even the tracks in the foreground look slightly rusty on top. However, it may have been taken over the Christmas holidays. 

2020-11-28-0023.jpg.ad9e4b45e4833382ef4418aac293dd56.jpg

It is, yes.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

What’s the yellow in the middle of the photo? When I first looked I saw a Class 33 with yellow panel and white window surrounds, then realised it couldn’t be.

I saw the same. It must be our Surrey upbringing!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

What’s the yellow in the middle of the photo? When I first looked I saw a Class 33 with yellow panel and white window surrounds, then realised it couldn’t be.

Yes, I can see the large class 33 as well, but expanding the original shows it to be much more mundane than the cliffe-uddingston cement train. 

215505886_Copyofunknownstation1968_tif.jpg.57d73ec4d968082cae71e8c80f5f9893.jpg

• Like 2