Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, iands said:

I'm struggling to see a 33 - which area of the photo is it? 

This is what some people thought was a class 33 at first glance. I did too but obviously it isn’t. 

86DD54BF-0C40-4297-8FB4-F8A5BF5CF95B.jpeg

Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

This is what some people thought was a class 33 at first glance. I did too but obviously it isn’t. 

Ah, thanks Western Aviator. I must admit I didn't see that as any type of loco, let alone a 33.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

It'll be one of the yellow National Carriers parcels trucks that called at the station.

Locally there was a firm called 'Zwetsloots' that grew flowers and they had several deliveries a day to the station until the late 80's.  There was so much traffic that when the service moved to 2 car Cravens on Huntingdon (North) to Hertford North shuttles the brake van would be full of flower boxes.  Each load was split over several units.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

Reminds me about an article i read  many years ago about a birdwatcher claiming he had seen a rare bird but at a very long distance, quite a few twichers arrived many agreeing that it was and they had seen it move, it turned out to be a plastic bag in a tree

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It's a long shot, but does anyone have a clue where this might be? I think the loco is either 75046 or 75048, both of which were allocated in the Wrexham/Chester areas during the mid-60s. 

I have looked on relevant OS maps for rural backwaters, but the gentle slopes of the terrain do not fit with most of them. It does look rather idyllic.

2020-11-30-0023.jpg.5612e78801e65438c3e587860a740154.jpg

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

'46 was allocated to Stockport and '48 to Springs Branch in the late '67 LocoShed Book ........ neither of which looks particularly promising !

75048 did move to Carnforth before withdrawal (according to BRDatabase) which is better.

I will move my focus to the Dales.  

• RMweb Premium

A wild stab in the dark, but just north of Helwith Bridge (between Stainforth and Horton-in-Ribblesdale on the S&C). A double track with a siding joining the "Down Line". Could it be the crossover that 75046/75048 is traversing? The map below is from the 1892-1914 series on the NLS site, so the water tower could be later than the map. As I say, just a guess, but a possibility.image.png.013ba04b4866563d55fd771b027fe2e7.png

Edited by iands
Deleted repeated map.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Could even be Giggleswick. Found a Ken Ellwood film on YouTube (The Giggleswick Shunter and the Petrol Train). About 4:30 into the film the water tower appears - another good candidate?

Sorry, can't seem to post the link.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, iands said:

Could even be Giggleswick. Found a Ken Ellwood film on YouTube (The Giggleswick Shunter and the Petrol Train). About 4:30 into the film the water tower appears - another good candidate?

Sorry, can't seem to post the link.

Well found - googling Giggleswick yields photos which match the buildings, water tower and signals. I'll post a link when I can

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Another pointer to it being possibly Giggleswick is this map from NLS. The crossover, the water tower, the signals, and even the barn in the distance.

image.png.9c9036b3b20c4e5b16914cc3cbfa74fa.png

• Thanks 1