Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Premium

It's definitely Giggleswick with the loco shunting the Spencers Lime sidings. They were on the north side of the line. I would say it was mid 50's by when the sidings were supplied with lime from Giggleswick quarry by three old 4 wheel lorries.  These then took coal back to the quarry to fire the kilns.  The traffic used to be handled by an overhead cableway that was dismantled in the late 50's.   Mr Greenhow was the station master and the drinking water was delivered by the first DMU each morning in a large can.  I used to watch this shunt on an afternoon when I was supposed to be running round a circuit called High Rigg from School that brought us down the road past the barn in the background then under the line and back up into the village and the school.  The remains of the sidings can now be seen either side of the A65 Settle bypass.   Somewhere I've got some photos of them when they were upgraded in the 1920's.  The quarry is still working but no longer burns lime just produces crushed stone.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

12 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Wow! Thanks everybody. 

That is remarkable detective work. I would buy you a drink, but we would all have to have a substantial meal, or a scotch egg. 

I do enjoy the detective challenge you set us although I don't always know the locations.  Even when I am familiar with the location it doesn't always register.  For instance, I didn't recognise Sandy at first as the photo was not taken from a viewpoint I was used to,

Please say you have many more location conundrums to solve. 

Chris Turnbull 

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Don't worry Chris. I have plenty of unknown locations to fathom. My problems was that I didn't really begin travelling large distances on the railways until the mid 1970s, and by then a lot of locations had changed a great deal or were closed to passengers.

Here is one with staggered platforms, from the same film as Giggleswick and likely to be in the same area - circa 1966. 

1392257489_48xxxyorks1960s2.jpg.6f2376fb5f8e344b4a0c5d31806509dd.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2020 at 11:47, eastwestdivide said:

For the ultimate "where are these photos" challenge, how about a roll of film discovered in a 2nd-hand camera 70-odd years after the event:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-54175441

:offtopic:

Like this comment:

They were made, by the Leica Camera company, at a time when film was sold in bulk reels and keen photographers would load their own reusable 35mm cassette.

As it was bulk film, there was no way to identify its speed.

I used to buy slide film in bulk but just re-used old ordinary 35mm spools.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

:offtopic:

Like this comment:

They were made, by the Leica Camera company, at a time when film was sold in bulk reels and keen photographers would load their own reusable 35mm cassette.

As it was bulk film, there was no way to identify its speed.

I used to buy slide film in bulk but just re-used old ordinary 35mm spools.

Yes, although I didn't do that personally; a work colleague did and cut the film into 38-40 transparency lengths in the darkroom and wound it on to old 35mm spools that we reused many times. I'm not sure where we sent them for processing but I bought a large box of Gepe mounts every so often, and cut the transparencies to fit. 

It worked out much cheaper than Agfa or Kodak film/processing. 

• Like 2

Here is another one on the northern WCML, I suspect. 

I am not familiar with many locations there. I have been through them at 100mph but was probably not concentrating on the views out of the carriage window. 

2020-12-03-0010.jpg.14e2af541415efacb69dc9a03d6b8ad5.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It looks more Settle and Carlisle to me probably at the northern end that I don't know so well.  There appears to be some large industrial buildings to the right behind the loco. On a second look Horton in Ribblesdale and possibly Ribblehead when the quarry was still operating look like possibilities.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

It looks more Settle and Carlisle to me probably at the northern end that I don't know so well.  There appears to be some large industrial buildings to the right behind the loco. On a second look Horton in Ribblesdale and possibly Ribblehead when the quarry was still operating look like possibilities.

Jamie

Horton has a hill behind it - Ribblehead is more likely.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nigb55009 said:

Ribblehead, going north. I think the buildings are part of the quarry.

The down side building and crossover match Ribblehead pretty well in the old photo in a pdf here

https://theyorkshirejournal.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/autumn-2016.pdf

Google results polluted by too many modern photos after the down platform had been replaced by the current staggered one. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure when the quarry at Ribblehead closed down. At that time the down platform was opposite the up platform. The quarry then closed but was reopened as a loading point for granite from Ingleton sometime, I think in the early 70's. The down platform was demolished and a new conne tion put in with the points where the down platform used to be. When Dales Rail started the northbound trains couldn't stop at Ribblehead. A new platform in the current position was built later. I've no memory of what buildings were there. 

However Horton was a much bigger quarry and the buildings were well coated in lime dust. The clincher however is that when you enlarge it you can read the station name board that has 3 words on it and says Horton in Ribblesdale.

QED as we used to write on our maths theorems.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 1

There is no station nameboard on my photo. I checked for that on the original before I posted it.

If I knew where it was, from a station nameboard on an image, I would not waste everyone's time.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

There is no station nameboard on my photo. I checked for that on the original before I posted it.

If I knew where it was, from a station nameboard on an image, I would not waste everyone's time.   

My apologies I looked at the wrong image, however with the lime coated buildings in the background I would go for Horton. The quarry there was a big operation and there were buildings in that area between the kilns and the main line. Sorry about the confusion.

Jamie

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

My apologies I looked at the wrong image, however with the lime coated buildings in the background I would go for Horton. The quarry there was a big operation and there were buildings in that area between the kilns and the main line. Sorry about the confusion.

Jamie

The quarry is in the wrong position for Horton, not forgetting the waiting room is the wrong length there is no wall aligned with the face of the waiting room and Horton is in a cutting on the west side and there isn't one in the photo.

2 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Yup, Ribblehead it is.  I was misled by the offset platforms on Google not realising that the platform had been relocated.

Chris Turnbull

Thanks all.

Yes, I had no idea the platforms were originally opposite. I must read more history of the route. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Thanks all.

Yes, I had no idea the platforms were originally opposite. I must read more history of the route. 

From fading memory, the local all stations service to Carlisle finished in 72, I remember riding it just before it finished and the driver let me come in the cab for the whole ride. He regaled me with stories of driving snow plough trains in the 62/63 winter.  Anyway the down platform was removed after that. Dales Rail started up in about 76 or 77 and it had gone by then.  The Friends of the S & C campaigned hard for reinstatement and I think it got done after Michael Portillo 'saved' the line.

Hope the history isn't boring eveyrone. I grew up at Giggleswick  with a view of 2 miles of the S& C from our back windows.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6