Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Premium

I've just found this photo on another site of a black5 heading north through Ribblehead. The quarry buildings all show up very well.  I had no memory that the quarry was so large with such an extensive range of buildings.

http://www.steamingnorth.com/displayimage.php?pid=8287&fullsize=1

Jamie

• Like 6

17 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I've just found this photo on another site of a black5 heading north through Ribblehead. The quarry buildings all show up very well.  I had no memory that the quarry was so large with such an extensive range of buildings.

http://www.steamingnorth.com/displayimage.php?pid=8287&fullsize=1

Jamie

Love that picture for the variety of wagons and vans, particularly the containers in open wagons not on conflats, enough to give rivet counters apoplexy. Really brings to life "mixed freight", just the first two vans have differences in door type, overall height and roof radius.

• Like 1

Here is another which has me stumped. 

It looks idyllic, and the station is on a sharp curve after the viaduct.I can't quite guarantee the locomotive but it looks like 'flying pig' which may point to a railtour of branch lines of superior scenic quality. 

I thought it might be the Langholm branch, but there is nothing which matches the exact set up. The Silloth branch is too flat. The Melrose branch doesn't fit either, and neither does the line through Greenlaw and Duns. 

2020-12-11-0009.jpg.b83d8a16b2f0650da4c7fa61f8d28277.jpg

• Like 6

I would say that is on the Haltwhistle to Alston branch and what you are looking at is Lambley station and viaduct with the River South Tyne at the bottom of the valley. Basically looking South to North ish!

Edited by Arun Sharma
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

Excellent, thankyou. And the trackbed of the Brampton branch in the background. 

Edited to add - it is most likely to be 43121 on 26th March 1967. 'Scottish Rambler No6'. 

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Could I hijack your thread for one post, this one came up on Facebook and it has the group stumped 

jimFB_IMG_1607948554374.jpg.533b944ed5c0232762edd0b9142ad810.jpg

I replied on Facebook and think it might be the Midland main line out of London, near Silkstream Jc where the Goods Lines cross over the Fast, and IIRC Down Slow, Lines. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Could I hijack your thread for one post, this one came up on Facebook and it has the group stumped 

jimFB_IMG_1607948554374.jpg.533b944ed5c0232762edd0b9142ad810.jpg

Hijack away - this thread was never meant to be just my queries. 

Excellent photo, by the way. 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Hijack away - this thread was never meant to be just my queries. 

In which case I've got a couple.

IMG203.jpg.4a678f889fdcf922bdbcc41c66f1fef7.jpg

This was taken on a 1978 Midland region railrover, but I have nothing for location and have no idea

IMG233.jpg.18ba8a5a132b5b9872e27eb08a20231a.jpg

IMG234.jpg.7193fe0838baf680f41e886b9d3048ec.jpg

I don't even have a date for these 2, let alone a location.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

In which case I've got a couple.

IMG203.jpg.4a678f889fdcf922bdbcc41c66f1fef7.jpg

This was taken on a 1978 Midland region railrover, but I have nothing for location and have no idea

I don't even have a date for these 2, let alone a location.

The overheads and architecture, with the junction layout would suggest Nuneaton. Its been mucked about with quite a bit which hampers direct comparison.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Bomag said:

The overheads and architecture, with the junction layout would suggest Nuneaton. Its been mucked about with quite a bit which hampers direct comparison.

Can’t be, it’s DC insulation 

Andi

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Can’t be, it’s DC insulation 

Andi

Well in that case the only other LMR electrified station with that layout and footbridge is Guide Bridge (looking west).

Edited by Bomag
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Bomag said:

Well in that case the only other LMR electrified station with that layout and footbridge is Guide Bridge (looking west).

You beat me to it. I was also going to suggest Guide Bridge. Obviously pre 1981 but after headcodes were abandoned.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I don't even have a date for these 2, let alone a location

Can you read what’s on the little truck from the original photo?

The DMU is a departmental one, route learner or training I think

Edited by eastwestdivide

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

You beat me to it. I was also going to suggest Guide Bridge. Obviously pre 1981 but after headcodes were abandoned.

Jamie

The only thing that puts me off Guide Bridge is the track formation. If this was GB, then the main lines would continue ahead with the junction to Ashton Moss on the right, but there is only one line?

I wonder if it is Gorton where there used to be six lines. If it is Gorton then shown is the branch junction which goes to Hyde Road, Reddish and the container base at Trafford park via Chorlton the CLC. You can see the mains which use the platform to the left of the photographer. The 25 would have just come from Reddish depot.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 30851 said:

Looks like the west end of Guide Bridge station to me.

Rob

10 hours ago, Bomag said:

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Thank you chaps, I'd not thought of Guide bridge and the other photographs I have are looking the other way.

3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Route learner is at Hereford in the Down Sidings. Houses are on Barr’s Court Rd.

Paul.

Thank you, Not a place I've visited much hence my inability to recognise it.

if i may join too your lordship, ive got some photos which were on this laptop which was given to me after my Grandfather passed away, the only railway place ii can't identify is this of a large miniature set up, taken in May 2015. i have many more places to find but theyre not railway

25-5-2015 (5).JPG

25-5-2015 (1).JPG

25-5-2015 (8).JPG

• Like 6