Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

if i may join too your lordship, ive got some photos which were on this laptop which was given to me after my Grandfather passed away, the only railway place ii can't identify is this of a large miniature set up, taken in May 2015. i have many more places to find but theyre not railway

I put a link to your post on the Facebook Miniature Railways Appreciation page and Richard Pearson got it within minutes - Stockholes Farm Miniature Railway. I've never been there so couldn't pin it down myself. 7 1/4" gauge.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, SHMD said:

Might it not be Fairfield? There were six lines there; or do we mean the same station?

• 4 weeks later...

Now I have a working laptop again, scanning can be resumed. 

Fortunately for readers of this thread, this means that unknown locations are appearing once more. 

I cannot guess where this might be.....2021-01-09-0011.jpg.bb45e6816cbde09eb61d8fc7d248d90a.jpg

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Now I have a working laptop again, scanning can be resumed. 

Fortunately for readers of this thread, this means that unknown locations are appearing once more. 

I cannot guess where this might be.....2021-01-09-0011.jpg.bb45e6816cbde09eb61d8fc7d248d90a.jpg

I think the question is whether the unit is a class 107 or a class 108. If a 107 then probably SW Scotland, if a 108 then probably NW England.

7 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I suggest that it's Fairlie Pier - a twig of the Largs branch that closed in 1971.

Absolutely Fairlie Pier. We took a train from Paisley to Fairlie on numerous occasions to catch a steamer to Campbeltown to visit my uncle George. An interesting day trip. The best bit was the band on the steamer :) although the food was pretty good too.  (IIRC the steamer was often the Duchess of Hamilton and possibly the Duchess of Montrose but I didn't keep any notes.)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Then an now maps you would be hard pushed to find any trace of the station now.  Always had a chuckle at the old name for the town's remaining station, now just known as "Fairlie", but used to be known as "Fairlie High" which it was I suppose :D

Jim

It's amazing that the whole pier has disappeared too.

The trackwork "seems" to be visible on the remaining pier, is this just an optical illusion or is it still visible?

Mike.

this one isnt mine, it was in a recent Tank Museum video and i was just curious where it is. the context of it int he video was just about designing and building tanks narrow enough to fit onto wagons,  this specific place or date was irrelevent and not mentioned

it looks like a junction with main lines going behind the signal box, with the main window side of it on the other side suggesting that is the more important or earlier route. there looks to be a platform in the background.

Capture (4).JPG

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's amazing that the whole pier has disappeared too.

The trackwork "seems" to be visible on the remaining pier, is this just an optical illusion or is it still visible?

Mike.

You can definitely see the outline of the tracks in what used to be the NATO boom Depot, some interesting stuff about that herehttp://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index.php/Secrets/FairlieBoomDepot

Jim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, sir douglas said:

this one isnt mine, it was in a recent Tank Museum video and i was just curious where it is. the context of it int he video was just about designing and building tanks narrow enough to fit onto wagons,  this specific place or date was irrelevent and not mentioned

it looks like a junction with main lines going behind the signal box, with the main window side of it on the other side suggesting that is the more important or earlier route. there looks to be a platform in the background.

Capture (4).JPG

Both switch blades are open on the first points beyond the level crossing on the unoccupied track, suggesting a trapping function which may mean the route in the foreground is a goods line and the one diverging behind the box is passenger.  

Edited by Edwin_m
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, sir douglas said:

Capture (4).JPG

I think they are Crusader Mk1s but I'm no expert.

It has a Yorkshire /  north east feel to it for some reason

Andy

Edited by SM42

21 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I think they are Crusader Mk1s but I'm no expert.

It has a Yorkshire /  north east feel to it for some reason

Andy

Think it may be a A13 Mk.III Cruiser Mk.V Covenanter (Only has 4 driving wheels, Crusader had 5). This was the predecessor of the Crusader.

https://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/gb/A13-III_Cruiser_MkV_Covenanter.php

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

Think it may be a A13 Mk.III Cruiser Mk.V Covenanter (Only has 4 driving wheels, Crusader had 5). This was the predecessor of the Crusader.

https://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/gb/A13-III_Cruiser_MkV_Covenanter.php

They're definitely Covenanters, which introduces an interesting railway link, since the design was done by the LMS!

It was a notably unsuccessful design, largely because of engine cooling problems. In order to reduce the height of the tank, a special low-profile engine was used; but that meant that there was no space for the radiators at the back, where they normally go on tanks. Instead, they were at the front-left, next to the driver (the flat panel there is an armoured cover for them). The long pipe run between the engine and the radiator was a cause of unreliability; as well as making the crew compartment very hot - something which prevented them being used in North Africa (possibly a good thing for the crews).

Covenanters never served outside the UK and the type regularly appears in "worst tanks of WW2"- type lists. That so many were built (over 1700) was a massive waste of resources.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 2