Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Gold

Certainly looks very much like Blaydon going off the 25" OS map.  And it's the only match I can find in that area which has the arrangement of streets, level crossing, signal box, and railway which matches the photo.  (And I've just been all the way round Elswick works on the map - there's nothing there anything like this arrangement.)

Blaydon.jpg.cda4ae9b7286c65f47514033520c3714.jpg

PS And even a footbridge to provide a viewpoint for the photographer.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, sir douglas said:

this one isnt mine, it was in a recent Tank Museum video and i was just curious where it is. the context of it int he video was just about designing and building tanks narrow enough to fit onto wagons,  this specific place or date was irrelevent and not mentioned

it looks like a junction with main lines going behind the signal box, with the main window side of it on the other side suggesting that is the more important or earlier route. there looks to be a platform in the background.

Capture (4).JPG

Level crossing at bottom left corner of this picture?

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/eaw033901

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

Both switch blades are open on the first points beyond the level crossing on the unoccupied track, suggesting a trapping function which may mean the route in the foreground is a goods line and the one diverging behind the box is passenger.  

Both switch blades are open in the ( much ) later photo too.

18 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Both switch blades are open in the ( much ) later photo too.

Spring points, only ever used in the trailing direction so no need for all the drive rods and interlocking perhaps

Andy

5 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

Covenanters never served outside the UK and the type regularly appears in "worst tanks of WW2"- type lists. That so many were built (over 1700) was a massive waste of resources.

Jim

yes, the tank museum did a whole video basically laughing at how bad it is

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

That did occur to me - though without a detailed knowledge of the area I wonder why there's a need to trail across from the left-hand platform ?

Start back a terminating service without affecting  the other line?

A signalling diagram would be interesting to see

Andy

13 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Then an now maps you would be hard pushed to find any trace of the station now.  Always had a chuckle at the old name for the town's remaining station, now just known as "Fairlie", but used to be known as "Fairlie High" which it was I suppose :D

Jim

I can see my big bruvver's house there :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

Both switch blades are open on the first points beyond the level crossing on the unoccupied track, suggesting a trapping function which may mean the route in the foreground is a goods line and the one diverging behind the box is passenger.  

I remember a similar arrangement with the centre siding between platforms 7 and 8 at New Street pre-rebuilding. When the points were set for the platform lines both switches in the siding were open forming a wide-to-gauge trap. The switches worked individually connected to the ends in the platform lines so that they formed a crossover when the points in one of the platform lines was reversed for access to and from the siding.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I remember a similar arrangement with the centre siding between platforms 7 and 8 at New Street pre-rebuilding. When the points were set for the platform lines both switches in the siding were open forming a wide-to-gauge trap. The switches worked individually connected to the ends in the platform lines so that they formed a crossover when the points in one of the platform lines was reversed for access to and from the siding.

Centre sidings at Newcastle Central operated just like that. 

(With apologies for moving this away from the ‘where is’ content.)

Paul.

• Like 2

Please don't worry about the thread wandering O/T at times. I enjoy all the tangential facts and info that the thread drift brings. 

Thanks also for the Coryton info. It would be one of the last places I would have guessed but I failed to allow for the trees obscuring the nearby housing. 

I'm hoping that someone can enlighten me about this station also. To me it looks Lancashire, but that kind of guess usually results in me being hundreds of miles out. 

2021-01-11-0003.jpg.0aca10d1238da623509db3bbcf026543.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Please don't worry about the thread wandering O/T at times. I enjoy all the tangential facts and info that the thread drift brings. 

Thanks also for the Coryton info. It would be one of the last places I would have guessed but I failed to allow for the trees obscuring the nearby housing. 

I'm hoping that someone can enlighten me about this station also. To me it looks Lancashire, but that kind of guess usually results in me being hundreds of miles out. 

2021-01-11-0003.jpg.0aca10d1238da623509db3bbcf026543.jpg

A nice end of days view at Hayfield

• Like 2

4 hours ago, keefer said:

Hayfield?

Did a reverse image Search and this topic came up (link goes straight to Robert Carroll's post)

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88441-new-mills-to-hayfield/&do=findComment&comment=1836821

Sorry, you have lost me there. 

Reverse image search?   :scratchhead:

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Reverse image search?

Meaning search for an image on Google by uploading an image that you already have.

1. Go to https://images.google.com/

2. Click the camera icon in the search box

3. Upload your photo and see what Google finds that it thinks is similar.

You get some surprising results sometimes.

Edited by eastwestdivide
clarity
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4