Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Premium

If you're using Chrome you can right-click on the image and it has the option to search Google for the image.

It can be a bit hit-and-miss, especially with railway stuff (lots of similar views taken from the same angle) but occasionally can provide an answer.

In this case it obviously  found your image on RMWeb, but provided similar views, some of which were Robert Carroll's.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I use Safari, and I'm not sure that option is available to me.

You can't do the right click way via Safari but uploading the image to google's search option does work, it's something that I have done quite a bit. The results can be rather revealing at times. I once found that a previous employer had ripped an image off a website before using it in a competition using the image search.

On 11/01/2021 at 18:41, eastwestdivide said:

If the right-click isn’t available, just follow the link I gave earlier - works on any browser. 

Right click is available in Safari, it is just that it involves pressing the ctrl key first. 

I tried that and the option of a reverse image search did not appear. 

This is a brake van tour somewhere in Scotland circa 1969. 

I have looked on Sixbellsjunction but cannot find any railtours to fit the bill, and am too braindead for trying the reverse image search again. Does anyone recognise the location?

2021-01-13-0004.jpg.ea08ae29033f03b9ab7671efb1e4517c.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, jonny777 said:

This is a brake van tour somewhere in Scotland circa 1969. 

I have looked on Sixbellsjunction but cannot find any railtours to fit the bill, and am too braindead for trying the reverse image search again. Does anyone recognise the location?

2021-01-13-0004.jpg.ea08ae29033f03b9ab7671efb1e4517c.jpg

Wild guess is SW Scotland. The building left and behind the station building is quite distinctive but I don't recognize it at all.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Right click is available in Safari, it is just that it involves pressing the ctrl key first. 

I tried that and the option of a reverse image search did not appear. 

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Rewriting it:

"If the right-click menu doesn't have an option to search google for the image, just follow the link I gave earlier - works on any browser"

• Thanks 1

I think the train is the ‘Ayrshire Explorer’ of April 4, 1970, organized by the Border Railway Society. A picture on this page:

http://www.deborahirwin.plus.com/border railway society/Border Railway Society page 4.htm

seems to show the same type of engine (I’m not good on diesel identification) with the same numbers in the headcode box. 

That doesn’t help much with identifying the location, and I can’t find details of the route of the tour. I did wonder about Dalmellington, but that’s not right.

(Edit - Waterside?)

Edited by pH
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It certainly is. Thanks very much. You have made my day. I had searched for Waterside on Railscot, but that only had a link to a place near Stirling which threw me a little. 

There are so many Watersides in Ayrshire that I began wondering if the one I was looking for really existed. 

Edited by jonny777
spelling

30 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Thanks Caradoc. Embarrassing to say that I have been there a few times and still do not recognise the location.  :blush:

That's understandable, it looks very different nowadays ! There are photos of the old station on the most excellent Railscot website. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Great pic, nothing really left there now apart from the triangle of lines between the mainline and the lines west towards Cowdenbeath.

The view in the photo is south from one of the platform overbridges, the signalbox just left of centre is at the deviation of the former Wemyss & Buckhaven Railway. After this was closed and lifted, a small length of sidings remained for the stabling of rolling stock.

1961 OS map:

20210114_182626.jpg.5dc2007332978c0e4d1c708445b50279.jpg

1961/present day side-by-side:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.147992846395216&lat=56.16768&lon=-3.12911&layers=170&right=BingSat

Edited by keefer
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

sorry i'm late getting back about the Blaydon one. Surprisingly, the signal box is still there, so is the crossing but moved a bit and there is a road over bridge to give a similar view to the not existing footbridge. it must be a weird box to work in because of the lack of windows

Capture3.JPG.2fce395b03e50495135109cf68521f94.JPG

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.9654516,-1.7075265,3a,15y,279.53h,86.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_Yng8Mkd9UDSVARkl7ZTEw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

37 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

it must be a weird box to work in because of the lack of Windows.

Quite a few boxes now have most, if not all the blinds permanently closed.

Shirebrook junction, New Mills Central and Earle's sidings come to mind.

They might have the door open in summer.

No real reason to observe passing trains, it's all on the panel displays, no different to a signalling centre controlling hundreds of miles of line.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, great central said:

Quite a few boxes now have most, if not all the blinds permanently closed.

Shirebrook junction, New Mills Central and Earle's sidings come to mind.

They might have the door open in summer.

No real reason to observe passing trains, it's all on the panel displays, no different to a signalling centre controlling hundreds of miles of line.

Natural Daylight, vitamin D ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, great central said:

No real reason to observe passing trains ............

It is still a Rule Book requirement to observe the passage of all trains.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1