Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, iands said:

It is still a Rule Book requirement to observe the passage of all trains.

I always gets me when you see mechanical boxes with the blinds closed,  how are you supposed to operate absolute block without seeing the tail lamp !

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Another mystery. This location would appear to have had a three way junction behind the photographer, with one alternative now out of use. 

I suspect it could be in Scotland, although certain images in the slide box seem to be in the Manchester area. 

2021-01-15-0003.jpg.429fbe96d48712ca63e1eb4e6601839e.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, russ p said:

I always gets me when you see mechanical boxes with the blinds closed,  how are you supposed to operate absolute block without seeing the tail lamp !

Yep, valid point Russ. I guess it's down to SMs to "manage" the signallers. 

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Another mystery. This location would appear to have had a three way junction behind the photographer, with one alternative now out of use. 

I suspect it could be in Scotland, although certain images in the slide box seem to be in the Manchester area. 

2021-01-15-0003.jpg.429fbe96d48712ca63e1eb4e6601839e.jpg

It is a curious mix of stock. Perhaps a cripple trip or transfer to or from a carriage and wagon depot.

Is that a the remains of a railway over bridge just above the loco?

cheers

Certainly three signalboxes in reasonable proximity to each other based on the distant arms below the homes. 

Perhaps a station behind the photographer. The gantry has three  posts of same height suggesting not a junction  but can't rule that out. 

The lattice posts and sky background for signals which need lower level repeater arms has a Scottish look about it

Don't  know why but the Dumfries route springs to mind  but then I could be very wrong. It wouldn't be unusual. 

Andy

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, SM42 said:

The gantry has three  posts of same height suggesting not a junction  but can't rule that out. 

The lattice posts and sky background for signals which need lower level repeater arms has a Scottish look about it

A triple junction with equal speed limit would require a balanced bracket, the route to the right (at the junction) has been removed - but it could also be running lines through a big station or yard complex so although a junction, not for diverging routes.

Agreed - the houses look Scottish too.

Hello to all. I’m a long time lurker and this will be my 1st post, so please be gentle.

I’m going to suggest it’s Piershill looking towards the Craigentinny direction. If it is then the photo could possibly have been taken from the bridge on Marionville Road. The other side of the bridge had the plethora of various lines that headed towards, Granton, Leith and Abbeyhill. 

Edited by Purnu
Added text x 2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Rivercider said:

It is a curious mix of stock. Perhaps a cripple trip or transfer to or from a carriage and wagon depot.

Is that a the remains of a railway over bridge just above the loco?

cheers

Looks like it's being hauled by an 08 or similar shunter, suggesting either a short-distance move or a line that's not very busy.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Purnu said:

Hello to all. I’m a long time lurker and this will be my 1st post, so please be gentle.

I’m going to suggest it’s Piershill looking towards the Craigentinny direction. If it is then the photo could possibly have been taken from the bridge on Marionville Road. The other side of the bridge had the plethora of various lines that headed towards, Granton, Leith and Abbeyhill. 

I can only go off modern Google images with the flats/tenements in the background,  but I think you've got it. :good: 

Taken from Marionville Rd bridge.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/75512864

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2

This location just to the West of Piershill https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=55.95803&lon=-3.15858&layers=170&right=BingHyb  Looks about right, the signal posts are in the correct location, the photograph would have been taken from Marionville Road looking towards Piershill

Edit - later view here on RailScot https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/46/224/

And the SIgnal Diagram https://signalbox.org/~SBdiagram.php?id= 938  the bracket without the signal would have been for the Lochend South to Lochend North curve (thence on to Leith Central) closes on 1st May 1972

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 15/01/2021 at 14:15, Purnu said:

Excellent work, Purnu. Thanks very much. 

This forum thrives on folk who have information which many others do not. 

Here is an easy one for everybody, although still a mystery to me. 

2021-01-14-0002.jpg.e0ab016c4c8449828ee6273fa60e329b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Leith Central must be a contender for the most over-provided station in relation to its traffic. As far as I know it only ever catered for Edinburgh suburban services. A product of the insane competition between the Caledonian and North British that saw so many duplicated routes in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Is the print reversed? Or is the picture on this page reversed?

https://levenmouth.co.uk/history-levenmouth-rail-link-leven-station-injustice-disgrace/

It does look like Cameron Bridge, though.

(Edit - I think your picture is reversed. You can clearly read the destination on the unit in the linked picture.)

Edited by pH
  • Agree 2

I was thinking the strange truncated building on the right (of the "right way round" image) was some kind of problem with the camera.  But on checking other online images I find the building was actually missing a corner as shown - perhaps cut back when the railway was built?  

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, Edwin_m said:

I was thinking the strange truncated building on the right (of the "right way round" image) was some kind of problem with the camera.  But on checking other online images I find the building was actually missing a corner as shown - perhaps cut back when the railway was built?  

That was quite common. Onevof my buildings on Lancaster is a former school that was cut back and became a brewery store. It looks strange on photos and the model caused comment. I suspect that the railway would have to buy the whole building and tried to recoup some money by reselling the modified structure.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208