Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

You might be right, but I wondered if the photo was taken after major flooding at Cowley Bridge had closed the line to the north for a while?

Judging by the other slides in the box, I would say this was taken in the second half of 1992, but I have no idea if there was a spell of heavy rain in SW England around that time.

I find a large logo Railfreight grey Tinsley 47 with NSE stock on a Waterloo-Exeter service to be interesting in itself.

• RMweb Premium

I was working at Western National in Plymouth in 1992, and before replying that it was Exeter St David's I checked my photos on the off chance that I might have photographed that train as I was guessing at a 1992 date. Nothing in the files though.

I remember that the Down Line over the river bridge was closed in 1992 for maintenance, so it probably dates from that time. I probably have photos with the bridge works in the background, but would have to look through many photos to find them as I file by loco number rather than in date order. The bridge was certainly closed in the summer of 1992 as the though of the GWR main line to the West could be reduced to a single line seemed incredible, and a sad comparison to the volumes of decades before.

Original Railfreight 47s weren't unknown on Waterloos, I had 47142 Up from Plymouth on such a working. They made for a colourful combination.

Thanks Adrian.

I feel that I ought to know where this is, but I have been through as many junctions as I can until my eyes ache.

4 tracks coming round the curve with a double track junction to the right.

post-4474-0-36464600-1443430864_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I looked at Clay Cross, but on an aerial photo the junction didn't look right.  Presumably some changes have been made to the track layout since that photo was taken?

It is Clay Cross, the photographer is standing on the bridge on Station (New) Road, North Wingfield.

The 58 is making for the loops opposite Avenue coking plant.  The small shed to the left is still visible on Google Earth.

Thanks once again. I really should have got out more.

I don't think I have ever been to Redhill station :blush:

I really don't know where to start with this. There are hills in the background, overgrown old station platforms and light industry of some kind - but it is not somewhere I have frequented either. Maybe I should have spent less time drinking cider and eating pies in big station buffets?

post-4474-0-81462400-1443449489_thumb.jpg

I looked at Clay Cross, but on an aerial photo the junction didn't look right.  Presumably some changes have been made to the track layout since that photo was taken?

Basically the Erewash Valley line now comes round as two tracks on the alignment of the goods, there's no connection here to the fast lines heading off towards Derby, on the right. There is a trailing crossover a little further north, behind the photographer, which allows trains from the up Erewash lines to reach the line to Derby, or from Derby onto the down Erewash and thence the Old Road to Barrow Hill and Rotherham Masborough. To get from the Erewash lines onto the main there is a high speed crossover (70 mph) at Chesterfield South near-ish to Hasland or a slower crossover just north of Chesterfield station. 

The 58 is unbranded blue, a trail for large logo? :jester:  

Edited by great central

That says Hope Valley to me possibly Hope station itself? Should really know for definite as I sign the line :rtfm:  No idea if national Power 59s went that way 

Could very easily be Hope, with the brown Carbolite building beyond the disused ends of the platforms (east end of the station).

Carbolite aerial view here: http://www.carbolite.com/company/

The RCTS ones are too difficult for me.

I have a few of that vintage somewhere. I might dig them out sometime.

When I first saw this transparency held up to the light, I thought this will be easy as it will be somewhere in a coal mining area.

Only when I scanned it, did the GWR signals put a big spanner through my confident air.

post-4474-0-85039700-1443467761_thumb.jpg

That is quite amazing detective work. My ignorance is such that I had to look up the name just to find where it was.

By way of thanks, here is a photo not really for the location, but because it shows old trackwork which has probably been swept away by rationalisation.

post-4474-0-82873500-1443514707_thumb.jpg

• Like 2