Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Premium

Northampton?

Good call that. Looking at Google that is by the entrance to the car park looking towards Spencer Bridge Road. The station is behind us and these days the depot is just the other side of the building by the bridge.

Dave

There is not a lot to go on with this photo, but others on the film have been in the Rugby/Northampton area.

Anyone recognise this place?

Scan-171110-0008.jpg

In the dim dark recesses of my mind something says Butterley Engineering looking into the gate from the nominally private road which led Derbyshire police HQ.

The loco with the canvas across the radiator particularly looks familiar

• RMweb Premium

did a quick search and Google led me to a post in the 'Industrial Shunters' thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28530-industrial-locomotives-in-the-late-80s-to-mid-90s/page-2&do=findComment&comment=305644

To quote Ruston's post in the thread: "Butterley Engineering had occupied the site at Ripley, Derbys. since being founded by Benjamin Outram in 1790 and was still going when I visited in 1995. They had a YE 0-4-0DE and this Drewry 0-4-0DM, built by the Vulcan Foundry (w/n D294) and named Teucer. At this time the works was still connected to BR via the tracks of the Midland Railway Centre. The works has since closed and the site flattened."

The LH loco in your pic is 'Teucer' (and presumably the same 2 wagons next to it)

This is an interesting photo, and the slide mount says 1969. 

Given the number of heads poking out of the dmu windows, this is an enthusiasts special. The desolation of the railway with no arms on the bracket signal suggests the remains of the GCR to me, and I wondered if it was Loughborough?

I looked on Sixbellsjunction, and there was a railtour on 19th April 1969 and it did venture along the route from Arkwright Street to Rugby Central; but is listed as only one 3-car dmu not two.

Does anyone recognise this tour and/or location?

post-4474-0-62991800-1510410513_thumb.jpg 

• Like 3

Here is another one which has defeated me...

(Well, if I'm honest I have had man-flu for virtually 2 weeks now and although it is beginning to wane, I have no incentive to trawl through hours of Google Earth images just to find a matching landmark). 

The train appears to be stopped in a station, although it must have staggered platforms because I cannot detect one opposite. It looks very Nottinghamshire to me, which probably means it is nowhere near there; but either has an enthusiasts special visiting or a summer excursion to Skegness. 

post-4474-0-01761500-1510583346_thumb.jpg

I'd tend to agree on Loughborough, looks completely different now though.

The train looks like a Jolly Fisherman, early mk2s with a couple of mk1s I think, difficult to see for sure on a phone screen, most in Reggie Rail livery with an odd one still in Intercity

Oh and looks like the obligatory basher in the front window.

Edited by great central
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That is Loughborough in my book. The platforms have been extended North quite a lot since then. In those days, most of the platform was south of the road over bridge in the background. You were just careful going through as there wasn't much room!

Paul.

• Like 1

Good call that. Looking at Google that is by the entrance to the car park looking towards Spencer Bridge Road. The station is behind us and these days the depot is just the other side of the building by the bridge.

Dave

Yes, I agree, I used to walk down the road on my way to and from the station

• 3 weeks later...

I am sure I should know where this is, and at first I thought of Scotland, but in the background are a couple of 31s; and a 56 on a cement train.

post-4474-0-28163200-1512244793_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny777

I am sure I should know where this is, and at first I thought of Scotland, but in the background are a couple of 31s; and a 56 on a cement train.

attachicon.gif20153 20xxx 1988.jpg

Looks very much like Doncaster to me. Looks like Doncaster depot can be seen above the cab of the leading 20 through the tangle of wires.

EDIT. Now I'm certain its Doncaster, looking towards Carr Depot having found this on Flickr.

https://flic.kr/p/bydfUu

Paul J.

Edited by Swindon 123

The OLE threw me for a minute but it's definitely Donny - when I was learning 66s we had an hour to kill while waiting for a spare one to turn up so we spent the time thrashing up and down the yard at Carr Loco on a 37/4 which just happened to be standing idle!

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

The advert on the side of the bus mentions Wishaw, so presumably taken in the Lanarkshire area - or maybe Glasgow. 

Does anyone recognise the buildings in the background; Glasgow Works maybe?

post-4474-0-56069800-1521888795_thumb.jpg

• Like 1