Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Premium

Apparently, the open top bus is an ex-Portsmouth Corporation TD4 of 1935 vintage which adds to the mystery. 

Definitely a Pompey bus as it is wearing the crescent moon and star, but as the advert is for the coach builder which is Scottish, could it somehow be earning its way back after modification, or on loan/demonstration?

Dave

• RMweb Premium

there was me frantically trying to find a shed in central-ish Scotland!

Given the 'Wishaw' advert on the bus, I thought it must've been a Central SMT bus in red/cream, but their livery wasn't quite the same. The logo was puzzling too - until I realised that it's still in Portsmouth Corporation livery:
http://picssr.com/photos/108708158@N03/page61?nsid=108708158@N03 (4th pic on top row for similar vehicle)

Anyway, from centralsmt.co.uk  1955 fleetlist ( http://www.centralsmt.co.uk/Fleet/Other/F55.html ) there are 4 TD4s from 1935  and buslistsontheweb.co.uk, it lists another 3 TD4s with Lanarkshire Traction, all 1948 Northern Counties-bodied rebuilds of Leyland TS7T single-deckers, Reg. numbers VD44xx 

EDIT: to include link to info about John Stewart & Co. : https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/96edcfc9-c7d8-393a-9128-a59c413e368c

Edited by keefer

Me thinks it is  Southport Railway Museum (Steamport), if comparison to my photo below is anything to go on.

attachicon.gifEBR15--023.jpg

Paul J.

That does seem like a good fit with the roof profile on the photo I posted. 

However, the Steamport archive site mentions an open top TD3 being preserved there NO43, but not a Portsmouth TD4 (although this might have been a visitor). The loco could have been 44806 I suppose.

• RMweb Premium

there was me frantically trying to find a shed in central-ish Scotland!

Given the 'Wishaw' advert on the bus, I thought it must've been a Central SMT bus in red/cream, but their livery wasn't quite the same. The logo was puzzling too - until I realised that it's still in Portsmouth Corporation livery:

http://picssr.com/photos/108708158@N03/page61?nsid=108708158@N03 (4th pic on top row for similar vehicle)

Anyway, from centralsmt.co.uk  1955 fleetlist ( http://www.centralsmt.co.uk/Fleet/Other/F55.html ) there are 4 TD4s from 1935  and buslistsontheweb.co.uk, it lists another 3 TD4s with Lanarkshire Traction, all 1948 Northern Counties-bodied rebuilds of Leyland TS7T single-deckers, Reg. numbers VD44xx 

EDIT: to include link to info about John Stewart & Co. : https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/96edcfc9-c7d8-393a-9128-a59c413e368c

It's interesting that the bus has the fleet number 117 in what seems to be the normal position for Central SMT, whereas the Portsmouth Corporation bus photos don't have it there. Bus companies from what I remember were pretty strict about that sort of thing. Could it have been sold to Central SMT and not yet repainted, just had a fleet number added?

I worked there from 1973 to 1988 and can confirm that the location is the erstwhile Steamport Southport.  There were two Leyland open toppers at Steamport, an ex Southport Corp.1934 TD3 (AFY 971) and the ex Portsmouth TD4 shown in the photo.  They were both owned by the late Hilary Royden who was the Hon.Sec. The Black 5 is 44806 (then named Magpie) and the photo must have been taken soon after its arrival in Aug.1974 as the loco only steamed a couple of times due to the condition of its boiler.  Hope this helps.

Ray.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

More negative scanning.... 

Does anyone know where this is? I can't recognise it at all. 

50003 on a rail tour perhaps, but there is no society headboard. 

post-4474-0-02786600-1526064179_thumb.jpg

post-4474-0-02786600-1526064179_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The branding on the far end of the 1st coach looks small enough to be Network South East - could this be the Salisbury-Exeter line with some single line redoubling* going on?

The coaches have also got the guards vans in the middle of the train, typical of that line.

Edit: Crewkerne looks a pretty good fit. Google street view here: https://goo.gl/maps/JvBXEGif1542

*Maybe it was double track singling as it seems to be single track now.

Edited by eastwestdivide

Well done eastwestdivide, and thanks. 

After posting the photo I carried on along the negative strip and a few shots further was a photo from that position but with no train. 

The station signs confirm it is Crewkerne. 

All the others on the film are southern 3rd rail photos, which kind of threw me. 

The branding on the far end of the 1st coach looks small enough to be Network South East - could this be the Salisbury-Exeter line with some single line redoubling* going on?

The coaches have also got the guards vans in the middle of the train, typical of that line.

Edit: Crewkerne looks a pretty good fit. Google street view here: https://goo.gl/maps/JvBXEGif1542

*Maybe it was double track singling as it seems to be single track now.

The Up Line on which the train is standing appears to have been moved into the six foot to permit the platform to be extended along infront of the signal box. The new track in the photo may have been assembled ready to slew across or perhaps used as a temporary formation while the Up Platform edge was relocated.

• RMweb Premium

Definitely Crewkerne. 

I remember seeing that new track in place and (wrongly) thinking a loop was being installed.  The photo was taken long after the line was singled.

Slewing the line to extend the platform had the added advantage of increasing the platform width and clearance under the roadbridge.  It was very tight previously.

The Class 50 and Mk2 coaches were the standard formation on the line for a few years.

Cheers, Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone recognise this location?

I know there is not a lot to go on, but it has 3rd rail and (if you believe the signs) 10 and 12-car trains. 

post-4474-0-25542300-1527607534_thumb.jpg

post-4474-0-25542300-1527607534_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Yes, definitely Brockenhurst.  Island platforms, covered walkway leading to the footbridge on the right.

Here's a view from Geograph:

1799772_b4fb7623.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

PS  Love this topic...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another station in the Hants/Dorset area not immediately recognisable to me. 

Service 92 seems to be a Waterloo to Weymouth stopper. 

Somebody ought to recognise the bridges.....

post-4474-0-39255500-1528711926_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif421316 1993.jpg

Pity that I can't make out the signal plate number, this would have helped to ID the station. Not from that part of the world, so I'm afraid can't be of any help. Will have to wait for a more knowledgable person to respond.

Regards, Ian.

421316 1993.jpg

Is it Southampton Airport/parkway?

It's been over 25 years since I signed to Eastleigh but something in the back of mind seems to recognise it