Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

Thanks v.m. DLT and 101. Southampton A/P looks a very good shout with the first bridge being the airport road and the more modern structure in the distance carrying the M27. 

• 3 weeks later...

This photographer appears to like taking shots of familiar locations, but from unfamiliar angles. I thought this might be Gillingham or Ramsgate until I noticed the nose of what might be an 07 shunter on the extreme right - so maybe it is Eastleigh, but it still doesn't look quite right. 

post-4474-0-55707900-1530431162_thumb.jpg

This is obviously an important junction, judging by the signalling options; but the hills look wrong for the Toton area. Maybe it is near Barrow Hill but I can't find a matching scene so far. 

post-4474-0-19234200-1530435315_thumb.jpg

This is obviously an important junction, judging by the signalling options; but the hills look wrong for the Toton area. Maybe it is near Barrow Hill but I can't find a matching scene so far. 

attachicon.gif20168 20186 11:83.jpg

I think it might be Gloucester, the photographer has his back to Horton Road Junction

edit - this view shows the same signals

post-7081-0-34028300-1530435971_thumb.jpg

Horton Road Junction, 6/11/80

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 1

Thanks for the Eastleigh confirmation, folks. That is great. 

I don't know if it is my eyesight, but there appear to be some motor luggage vans stabled in the background, but they may just be the guards compartments of random emu vehicles. 

I think it might be Gloucester, the photographer has his back to Horton Road Junction

attachicon.gifscan0181.jpg

cheers 

Wow, thanks Rivercider.

That is probably why the Notts/Derbyshire area didn't fit too well.  :sarcastichand:

Wow, thanks Rivercider.

That is probably why the Notts/Derbyshire area didn't fit too well.  :sarcastichand:

The first few wagons, at least, are Plate wagons converted to carry wire coil from Cardiff or Scunthorpe. As the wagons are empty, I'd suggest the train could be destined for Cardiff.

Thanks for the Eastleigh confirmation, folks. That is great. 

I don't know if it is my eyesight, but there appear to be some motor luggage vans stabled in the background, but they may just be the guards compartments of random emu vehicles. 

The latter I reckon. Too much roof gubbins for MLVs, which just had a row of ventilators on top.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifscan0181.jpg

cheers 

Agree - definitely WR signals and location cupboards and, as we've already seen' it fits for Gloucester Yard (it being just over 30 years since I spent time there 'sorting out the working' following the closure of Severn Tunnel Jcn).

A clue is given by the signals.  Silver painted posts and signal head backs were a common feature of the 60s and early 70s WR MAS schemes

• 1 month later...

I have found this gem hiding amongst a pile of b/w images I purchased as a job lot. 

I wonder if anyone recognises the SR location, which probably dates this as circa 1959/60?

post-4474-0-33033600-1535477319_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Bomag for all those mileage points.

The loco is 47134 which was a Bath Road engine in those days, although that doesn't help much because they wandered far and wide.

The region in which this was taken may be straightforward, but actual location has baffled me.

attachicon.gifScan-150926-0010.jpg

That image, (or something similar) has been here on RMWeb before! Another thread where someone was asking where about's for an unknown location.

EDIT to say "I'm stupid!!!!" accidentally went back to the start thinking it was the latest updates. The image is on this thread!! doh! 

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

Lets call that photo image 1 (for ID purposes). 

And then the following (which are all likely to be in Essex or Kent, judging by ones that have been identified) can be - 

Image 2 

post-4474-0-19586700-1535541299_thumb.jpg

Image 3

post-4474-0-71158900-1535541320_thumb.jpg

Image 4

post-4474-0-42731800-1535541358_thumb.jpg

Image 5

post-4474-0-33469800-1535541375_thumb.jpg