Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Unlike many of the pics in this thread, if you waited around you could nearly repeat this one. A Castle there is by no means impossible, and a King was on duty there last year, maybe since? Yes, the stock would be Mk1s, but hey. 

Reading between the lines of the CWN, the Torbay Express was Mk1 stock (except the Diner) from the summer of 1954.

• Like 1

I need another location confirmation, please. 

My first thought, given the locomotive, was Bath Green Park - but I thought that had an overall roof; so could this be Bournemouth West? 

IMG_8976.JPG.34a3b3052c831d44f01a0aabcd627f99.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks all. Very useful information. 

I'm afraid I never visited Bournemouth West, despite staying in a hotel with my parents only a few hundred yards from the station in the early 1960s. I had no idea the station was that close, otherwise I may have taken a 'detour' when sent to buy fags for my mother (kids could do those kinds of things in those days). 

These photos can't remove my regret, but can give me an idea what might have been taking place just down the road. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

My guess for this is Hornsey, but I can't find a photo which looks exactly like this. 

Can someone confirm this, or tell me of another definite IMG_5920.JPG.f418ef62814a405ceb8a66b756ff6975.JPGlocation? 

• RMweb Premium

I didn't know what kind of locos these were, but if J50s, the BR database gives the allocations:

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=601050&type=S&page=alloc

I did a quick google image search of these depots, but haven't found anything to match the distinctive roof layout of this 8-road shed

(btw, just noticed an EE 350hp shunter behind the left-most steam loco)

I have by me a copy of 'Great Northern Railway Engine Sheds' Volume One (Griffiths and Hooper, 1989), which says that Hornsey was re-roofed in about 1955.  The photographs in the book don't really leave any room for doubt: Hornsey it is.

D

Edited by Darryl Tooley
typo
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Does anyone recognise this station, please?

2019-09-28-0003.jpg.f440824f805f20fae13af9cb48e7c0c4.jpg

Wigan North Western Platform 1 with loco heading north - loco and stock would suggest Manchester to Blackpool club train diverted to run through Wigan rather than the more normal Bolton - Preston.

Edited by SP Steve
Possible train details
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apologies for hijacking Jonny's thread (once again!). I recently purchased a job lot of slides on eBay. Amongst them was this little gem (well, I think it's a gem). There are no details with the slide other than a date of 7.3.67. 

Other slides in the purchase have a few more details, and I believe the location might be somewhere near Didcot, can any of the more informed members on RMweb confirm this please? It could be that the steel-work on the wagons in the siding is bound for Didcot Power Station - is that I under construction in the background? To help identification, there is (in the middle distance) a caravan park - does this help to narrow down the location?

As for the loco (I'm not the best at identifying GWR classes - unless I can see the nameplate and number!), it appears spotless and I'm assuming it is perhaps already in preservation, possible on it's way to a Steam Gala, Open Day or heading off to haul a 'special' somewhere. Why do I think this? On closer examination, I count at least 6 (six) on the footplate - possibly 8?, probably far more than would be required for a simple light engine move in normal BR service.

Over to you, and many thanks in advance for any details confirmed.

Nr_Didcot_(possibly)_070367.jpg.7fe91adf01b3541c9ac0cfe6eedeb0c1.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, keefer said:

I wonder if it's getting the loco in place for the 'Birkenhead Flyer' railtour on 4/3/67 ?

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/670304ia.html

I dont know whether that's a Castle in the pic, but if it is, it could be 'Pendennis Castle' which worked Didcot-Chester (and the return) on this railtour.

Thanks Keefer. If the date on the slide is correct, then this could be a light engine move after that Railtour.

• Like 1