Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Premium

All but the 40 look very clean - stock move for an Open Day?

(No idea where it is though)

EDIT: Going by the 40's headcode and possibly a fairly new 56, maybe around 1976/7?

Edited by keefer

I was thinking the same. It's a very new looking Class 56 and it's a BR build not Rumanian so would have been built at Doncaster. Plus the Gresley coach in the formation.  Movement for Rainhill 1980 is also a possibility.

The location is St Helens Jct looking west along the Liverpool & Manchester main line. The closer bridge in the background is the St Helens & Runcorn Gap Railway down to Widnes, latterly known as the Clock Face line. The bridge was removed a few years ago for the L&MR electrification.

On the left is the scrapyard, Fragmentation' while the line to St Helens Shaw St, now removed, goes off to the right.

Could it be to do with the 'Rocket 150' celebrations?

Edited by LMS2968
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

With that in mind is this working in connection with Rainhill 150 (held in May 1980)? If so then the 56 is probably 56.077 which if I recall correctly propelled the APT through the site.

Also the Class 40 may be 40.162 which retained a working head code box to one end only.

Edited by SP Steve
Additional details added.

Brilliant. Thanks very much everyone. 

56077 it will no doubt be; and most of the larger locos pulled a few items of stock past the crowds, which would account for the older vehicles behind. 

An oddity is that the train is running wrong road: in the Up direction on the Down. The entrance to Bold Colliery sidings was on the Down side and trailed into the Down just immediately of the station, so presumably it is about to use that way in. Except that there was a facing Up / Down crossover just ahead of the sidings connection, allowing direct entry from the Up.

Don't know the answer to that one.

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Another in the scanning series (the site was offline for maintenance earlier so they queued up ;)  )

A class 50 in the snow, but where might this be? 

2019-12-01-0017.jpg

It's taken off the footbridge @ Boon Way Oakley looking in the up direction towards Worting Junction. The LSWR milepost is MP 52. The OB in the background is St John's Road

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

And another. This single unit is at a pleasant rural station somewhere.....

The power lines may provide a clue (the image was part of the same batch as PWM654 so likely to be towards Welsh Marches). 

2019-12-02-0001.jpg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Possibly at Hookagate Welded Rail depot. I thought at first it may be Newland but have found another picture of that loading gauge which tells me differently.

I'm not saying it definitely isn't Hookagate, but from (distant suspect) memory the sidings came off the other side of the line.

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

PWM654 is engaged in PW work at rural sidings. I think it was based at Worcester in its early years, so this is probably in that region; but where?  

1017092038_pwm654shunting.jpg.450bbd92b4dd02967486c42a348cdc2d.jpg 

Hmm PWM 654 did spend a lot of time at Newland - but the track layout is wrong - and I cant make it match the plan for Hookagate, Fairwater, Theale or Radyr either.... as published in IRS PWM book

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

And another. This single unit is at a pleasant rural station somewhere.....

The power lines may provide a clue (the image was part of the same batch as PWM654 so likely to be towards Welsh Marches). 

2019-12-02-0001.jpg

Ah the camera never lies! May look pleasantly rural but the station is overshadowed by a massive power station -  Buildwas between Bridgnorth and Shrewsbury on the Severn Valley Railway with some careful framimg!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buildwas_railway_station

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Ah the camera never lies! May look pleasantly rural but the station is overshadowed by a massive power station -  Buildwas between Bridgnorth and Shrewsbury on the Severn Valley Railway with some careful framimg!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buildwas_railway_station

I knew I'd seen those tipper wagons somewhere.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I've just found 3 similar pictures on the Rail online photo site captioned as Hookagate

Good find Charles - and the one with the driver climbing out of the cab looks like the same shunt move!

• Like 2

Thanyou very much all, for your detective work. You have solved more problems than you realise, because a few of the slide mounts have 'Redhill' written on them, and there are quite a lot of Redhills scattered around GB. 

However, Redhill village is about a mile from Hookagate which has led me to believe quite a few of these photos must be in the Shrewsbury area. 

As a bonus, I also scanned this grounded wagon body image late last night. Presumably it is ex-Shropshire & Montgomery Railway, from the lettering. 

I will now resume the scanning as a very happy bunny. Thanks once again. 

2019-12-02-0010.jpg.3da5c4f44e1568e053e5b4dfd1269a8d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1