Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Gold

Another mystery (for me anyway).

Does anyone recognise this train?  It is not something I remember seeing at the time.

attachicon.gifScan-151012-0002.jpg

It's on the GWML on the Down Main Line between Ruscombe and Twyford and it appears to be some sort of track testing special.  Don't know any more than that sorry.

• RMweb Premium

Another mystery (for me anyway).

Does anyone recognise this train?  It is not something I remember seeing at the time.

attachicon.gifScan-151012-0002.jpg

The lead coach - pretty certain it is Track Inspection Coach 999508, later repainted in Serco red/grey and latterly yellow. Recognisable by the cutouts in the side.

The grey/blue/yellow livery was carried by a few vehicles as the Mobile Track Assessment Train. The rear vehicle is in the same livery.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Hooray, I do know where this is - but I thought you might like to see it as it shows a 47 with a WCML Mk2 set, presumably being used on a weekend extra summer service.

The train appears to be all Mk2 except for a Mk3 buffet and a DVT at the rear. I wonder how many DVTs were seen in South Devon during the 1990s?

post-4474-0-83718900-1444748734_thumb.jpg

(I love scanning these bulk purchase slides. They always seem to produce occasional interesting scenarios. It's a bit of a gamble though, with my hard earned cash.)

Edited for careless typos.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In various years a Summer Saturday train ran either Derby or Milton Keynes to Penzance and back, out on the morning and back about 16.00 from PZ. Rear coach was the only 1st not declassified and was known as the 'Staff Coach' as it was full of BR MS Grades travelling on 1st Class Free Travel. Some weeks it ended up just like being in the office. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Post 63 could be on the down between Wychnor and Tamworth. The colour light the 47 is approaching would turn you into Elford loop.

Post 98 I would go as suggested as being on the down approaching old South Wingfield station.

Pete

Thanks. I thought it must be due to the third rail for instance, but I was thrown by the presence of so many 37s.

On this shot the 150 is bound for Nottingham, but I don't recognise the station.

post-4474-0-13575200-1444846882_thumb.jpg

Beeston's certainly got a 1/4 milepost at that position on the platform - see National Rail's Stations Made Easy: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_BEE/objectvalues/1180-0000006.html

Edit - thought the bridge was different, but it has a footbridge at the London end and a road bridge at the Nottingham end - google maps

Edited by eastwestdivide

The photo of the WC MK2 set with the DVT. When they were borrowed for weekend work, the DVT was left attached for 2 reasons. To ensure the RCH cables were left undisturbed, because they did have a lot of problems with the digital signals between the DVT and loco when first introduced, and secondly, if it was removed from the formation, where would the guards accommodation be?

What might be going on here?

Oh, and does anyone know where it is?

Inspection saloon, relatively modern tail lamp, ETH/ETS fitted, but where's the loco gone!

Maybe a dark livery, but hard to tell really. [Later edit after post 122: looks maroon, with a blue 31, which might narrow down the timescale at least]

From the inset centre window, maybe saloon 45030???

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

Is this the BR management version of dogging?

I wasn't aware of dogging - a modern term anyway - but sex and railwaymen were not strangers. The little chap at a quiet station, where on late turn once a month or so the ganger's wife would turn up and they'd spend a nice time in the former SM's office, while her hubby was on his darts night. The chap who told me fondly of having a young lady across the boardroom table at KX. The lady who confessed she and her boss had had a very nice time on the roof of their office block, she leaning on the safety rail, staring down at a station where hubbie worked. I could go on.......

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The signalman at Bordesley Junction couldn't be raised on the Block or telephone one day. The neighbouring box could see right through the section and the previous train had been knocked out, so he sent a freight through to the Home signal find out if something was wrong. When the Fireman walked up the steps he was greeted by the sight of the signalman being pleasured by one of the local ladies of the night.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 3

I do know where this is, I think, but I thought I would include it as for me it comes into the 'prototype for everything' category.

The location is near Worting Junction, with what appears to be an old 501 driving car from the North London services leading what looks like a 2-HAP, but feel free to correct me.

post-4474-0-09828600-1445074144_thumb.jpg

• Like 3