Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Class 40 on that coal train in 1970?

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Stick to hydraulics Phil, I think that's a brake van!!

Unless the picture is murkier than a murky night in Mirfield.

Mike.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt as I thought he may mean on the end out of shot.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Stick to hydraulics Phil, I think that's a brake van!!

Unless the picture is murkier than a murky night in Mirfield.

Mike.

And going by the photos we have seen there were plenty of those!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

And you might enjoy this series of photos.

http://www.miac.org.uk/wilkinson1.html#gwr7023

At this time Worcester was one of the few places left on the WR capable of turning out a Castle as it should have been - pride in the job still evident.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

At this time Worcester was one of the few places left on the WR capable of turning out a Castle as it should have been - pride in the job still evident.

To me Worcester always seemed to be the last bastion of Great Westernism. Even so today with the remaining signalling equipment.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Thanks folks. I think I was a bit put off by the Brush 2 with my ideas on location. 

2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

To me Worcester always seemed to be the last bastion of Great Westernism. Even so today with the remaining signalling equipment.

And that Brush 2 has ideas above its station ... 1A99 indeed! Whoever suggested those underpowered locos could run a service previously run by Castles - and subsequntly Hymeks and Warships - and keep time must have been part of the machiavellian plot to completely close the Cotswold line.

Edited by Phil Bullock
Correction from 1A68 to 1A99
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

And that Brush 2 has ideas above its station ... 1A68 indeed! Whoever suggested those underpowered locos could run a service previously run by Castles - and subsequntly Hymeks and Warships - and keep time must have been part of the machiavellian plot to completely close the Cotswold line.

I think you've been looking at too many Dapol Westerns, Phil. The photo shows 1A99. Perhaps that was a parcels working? It looks like it could be 31260, which if my memory hasn't failed me was an OC machine at the time.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

I think you've been looking at too many Dapol Westerns, Phil. The photo shows 1A99. Perhaps that was a parcels working? It looks like it could be 31260, which if my memory hasn't failed me was an OC machine at the time.

Where did 1A68 come from???? Ah I know it was a Hymek picture I was looking at yesterday, Oxford _ Padd train .... so you were right about hydraulics! My WTTs are not recent enough for this picture but a few years earlier there was a Class 1 vans - 1B01/1A01 Padd to Worcester early morning news vans and return empties.

Cheers

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Whoever suggested those underpowered locos could run a service previously run by Castles - and subsequntly Hymeks and Warships - and keep time

OC was fond of dropping one onto the first Down Birmingham or subbing the 47 off a Poole - Liverpool at Reading. Birmingham would retaliate by sending it back in place of the 47 on a heavy Poole train which would then proceed to lose 30+ to Oxford even if it did manage to get out of the dip at Leamington without being rescued. 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Thanks folks. I think I was a bit put off by the Brush 2 with my ideas on location. 

What made me think of Worcester was those Georgian (?) houses on elevated ground in the distance.

Otherwise there is nothing much that says Western Region.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

What made me think of Worcester was those Georgian (?) houses on elevated ground in the distance.

Otherwise there is nothing much that says Western Region.

But such was the staple motive power once the Hymeks went..... 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/01/2020 at 13:58, Phil Bullock said:

And that Brush 2 has ideas above its station ... 1A99 indeed! Whoever suggested those underpowered locos could run a service previously run by Castles - and subsequntly Hymeks and Warships - and keep time must have been part of the machiavellian plot to completely close the Cotswold line.

Now the Pershore People's Front are wibbling about Worcester Parkway - they suspect that the number of Pershore stops will decrease once PArkway opens....

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 16/01/2020 at 15:38, Phil Bullock said:

And you might enjoy this series of photos.

http://www.miac.org.uk/wilkinson1.html#gwr7023

Interesting comparing the state of these with those from Horton Road!!!:

R0112 - Gloucester Horton Road Shed

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

And things got worse....!

http://roysrailpage.000webhostapp.com/frame/5042.jpg

But a testament to their design that they were able to soldier on in this condition until the end came on - 8th June 1965 for 5042, the last surviving GWR built Castle in traffic  - merciful perhaps?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 16/01/2020 at 23:21, Phil Bullock said:

But such was the staple motive power once the Hymeks went..... 

Quite so, but what I meant was that you could see a 31 and and 24 together in a myriad of places all over England, so they would not signify Western Region as a Hymek would have.

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Quite so, but what I meant was that you could see a 31 and and 24 together in a myriad of places all over England, so they would not signify Western Region as a Hymek would have.

Absolutely Andy. WR motive power was no longer distinctive! 

Pedant mode on ... it’s a 25 ... pedant mode off...

and I would put my money on 5230 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another eBay purchase requiring location i.d. help please (by the way, quite a number of photos/slides purchased from eBay in the last few months, so with a lock-down imminent due to coronavirus on the horizon, a few more photos may appear here to help ease the boredom).

Anyway, 90133 was (from May 1951) a Frodingham (36C) engine until withdrawn in October 1965) and judging by the state of it, probably not long before withdrawal. At first glance I thought this photo was taken at Ulceby, but I soon dismissed that idea. 

Unfortunately I can't see a name on the station or the signal box, but some clues may help someone out there to provide a location. Fairly short platforms and footbridge, a substantial station building (stone construction?) on one platform with what appears to just a minimalist shelter on the other platform, and a water tank opposite the signal box. Judging by the number of arms we can see the back of, suggests 2 or 3 routes/sidings behind the camera, and what appears to be (back then at least) a fairly rural setting. Also a fairly substantial pole-route on the left which would suggest a reasonably significant line rather than just a minor branch line.

Making a huge assumption that the train is heading back towards Scunthorpe and the steel works, I was thinking the location is perhaps in North Nottinghamshire or even the West Riding (and I'm using the old definition here which includes what we now know as South Yorkshire). Any ideas please? Many thanks in anticipation.

847280063_90133(36CFrodingham).jpg.412440343245ebfdc5015ea2416b2cca.jpg

• Like 1