Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

8 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

That's the first time I've seen a 5X with a self-weighing tender.

41 minutes ago, pH said:

Exactly what I was going to say!

Just to prove that neither your memory nor mine is what it used to be, read this topic, starting at this post :D!

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55652-stanier-self-weighing-tender-information/&do=findComment&comment=1409480

Are these two taken at the same station? I only ask this because the totem name on the Britannia image looks to have fewer letters than the one on the other image. 

IMG_0197.jpg.464e33228f7607d5a4ba63f2b441d811.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg.fea83df3e7f5fc7cfe941122732c0daf.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Definitely the same place: too many identical cracks in the paving slabs on the ramp.

Where, possibly Taplow, but I’m not too familiar with the Birmingham area 4 track so could be one of those.

Paul.

Definitely the same place but not the same time.  Look at the cracks in the paving slabs in the foreground - some are identical but there are a few more on the second photo.  As it's unlikely they would replace some but not all of them, the second one is almost certainly later.  I think the shrub on the right is also smaller in the second photo, suggesting it may have died back or been trimmed, but difficult to tell for certain as the viewpoint is slightly lower (look at the relationship of the white sign to the footbridge).  

The second photo with 4953 has given me a sudden urge to dig out all of my Bradford Barton GW albums.... ;)

Way back in June 2012 while everyone else was indoors watching the London Olympics I was out and about doing a 'photo survey' of the Thames Valley area including G&S, here's the footbridge....

G&S #4.jpg

G&S #10.jpg

G&S #19.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Definitely the same place: too many identical cracks in the paving slabs on the ramp.

Paul.

Just so everyone has the same info as I have (which is why I asked the question in the first place), here are blow-ups of the platform lamp posts with their totems. Would you say the two names are the same or different?

whereami1.jpg.014fb94174b872b52c70cd1fc9eb7d18.jpg

wherami2.jpg.15c3582a53f4fb3092d01e31bd8afb36.jpg

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Trains on the down main at Twyford.

Yes the footbridge at Twyford looks similar (the best view I could find), but Cobb doesn't show any name changes. However I'm sure The Stationmaster will be able to clarify everything.

https://www.jbarchive.co.uk/bk-1396---twyford-railway-station-berkshire-58333-p.asp

The first totem has about the right number of letters for Twyford and the second letter looks more "blobby" so could be a W.  Stretching the imagination, can I see opening and closing brackets on the second one?  If it was "for Henley" then the words would have had to be in small type one above the other.  

Looks like someone's corrected the leaning lamppost as well.  

• RMweb Gold

I’m happy to stand with those suggesting Twyford.

The second photo clearly shows the curve in the Main lines (Reliefs were straight).  The road rising towards the bridge to the right of the station fits the geography and (surprise, surprise), for me, the signalling is the decider.  The abutment of the bridge is painted white to improve sighting of the Up Main signal.  Twyford East Up Main Home was right hand mounted due to the curve in the platforms.

Paul.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

Looks like someone's corrected the leaning lamppost as well.  

I think that's just lens distortion, unless they fixed all those leaning window frames in the footbridge as well!

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Are these two taken at the same station? I only ask this because the totem name on the Britannia image looks to have fewer letters than the one on the other image. 

IMG_0197.jpg.464e33228f7607d5a4ba63f2b441d811.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg.fea83df3e7f5fc7cfe941122732c0daf.jpg

Yes they are.  in both cases the trains are passing Twyford on the Down Main Line.  The picture of the Brit was definitely taken in the afternoon as it is lit from the south, maybe it clouded over for the 'Hall' ?

3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I’m happy to stand with those suggesting Twyford.

The second photo clearly shows the curve in the Main lines (Reliefs were straight).  The road rising towards the bridge to the right of the station fits the geography and (surprise, surprise), for me, the signalling is the decider.  The abutment of the bridge is painted white to improve sighting of the Up Main signal.  Twyford East Up Main Home was right hand mounted due to the curve in the platforms.

Paul.

And that patch of white is still there, nearly 60 years after the signal was removed and the upper part of the bridge over the Main Lines was rebuilt.  The much older arch over the Relief Lines still survives - into the age of 25kv ohle. 9and teh white patch on it for Twyford East's Up Relief Home Signals also survives - just.

3 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Just a thought, but did Twyford totem get changed to Twyford for Henley?

No, the totems just said 'Twyford'.  'Change for Henley' was only on the running-in boards.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Informative/Useful 2

Ok. Thanks very much all. Twyford it is. I wonder if the totem on the second image has suffered from camera shake, which makes each letter appear 'double' and adds to the illusion of a longer station name?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Ok. Thanks very much all. Twyford it is. I wonder if the totem on the second image has suffered from camera shake, which makes each letter appear 'double' and adds to the illusion of a longer station name?

I don't think it's camera shake as that would also affect the footbridge windows.  However there is some kind of smudge below the canopy to the right of the totem, so possibly a lens defect?  

If we accept the lean of the lamp post and footbridge windows being due to lens defect, that also suggests they were taken with different lenses.  And as the view is similar they were probably taken on different occasions otherwise the same lens would have been used.  This supports the evidence of the extra paving cracks and reduction in shrubbery.  

There must have been a form of diesel gala on the P&D at some time in the past, as I have just scanned this photo. 

The locos are not ones I would immediately associate with Kingswear. 

2020-03-28-0003.jpg.b46595bcb01475147d6f7785e8b486dd.jpg

• Like 4