Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Premium
On 31/03/2020 at 10:49, eastglosmog said:

A hazard of building the embankment with colliery spoil?  19th century coal mine waste had a high coal content (mostly slack coal) and quite often caught fire due to spontaneous combustion or the practice of dumping hot ash on it.  Burning spoil heaps were a serious problem.

Spontaneous combustion of coal seams in the area was not unknown.

Hence the name of this pub:

https://goo.gl/maps/7o5FcCmLuwjwqKhr8

On 29/03/2020 at 14:53, iands said:

Bought some more slides off ebay. No details I'm afraid so I'm seeking RMwebber's help once again in identifying a location please. Some of the slides I have been able to identify because it was easy (Birmingham New St), however, these 3 I'm struggling with, but maybe they are in the Birmingham/West Midlands area - but then again maybe not!

I assume all 3 are the same location (but then again, maybe not as the sky/weather is different in the first photo, so different day and probably different location), a carriage siding/yard somewhere.

IMG00003-2.jpg.19768e008e9ad94cb7c334fce2afaa1d.jpgIMG00007-3.jpg.86fbd9aa349571df065a4a1fe4b60920.jpgIMG00014-2.jpg.81832b129208620319b82159651d0c6f.jpg

Not sure about the first one, but Stonebridge Park would fit the bill, with The carriage sidings on the left. Very rarely worked that far, only usually as far as Brent. Second photo very definatively Oxley looking towards the Down carriage sidings taken from the signal box. The third photo is Oxley again, looking from the exit of the Up sidings towards Oxley SB. The 86 is leaving with a train from the Down sidings. The nearest photo I have to the second one is the one below.

86246 [DBR5-134]

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Swindon 123 said:

Not sure about the first one, but Stonebridge Park would fit the bill, with The carriage sidings on the left. Very rarely worked that far, only usually as far as Brent. Second photo very definatively Oxley looking towards the Down carriage sidings taken from the signal box. The third photo is Oxley again, looking from the exit of the Up sidings towards Oxley SB. The 86 is leaving with a train from the Down sidings. The nearest photo I have to the second one is the one below.

86246 [DBR5-134]

Paul J.

Thanks Paul, much appreciated.

I'm hoping someone can give me information about this photo. Is it a railtour? 

It doesn't have a headboard, but appears to be on the national network - although I am often mistaken. 

2020-04-02-0014.jpg.e5b1465dc01b67608f4d15bf880de274.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2020 at 11:54, melmerby said:

Spontaneous combustion of coal seams in the area was not unknown.

Hence the name of this pub:

https://goo.gl/maps/7o5FcCmLuwjwqKhr8

I took a call in the office one day from our supervisor at Walsall. Hednesford No.1 box called to say that a driver had stopped to report smoke coming out of the Down Distant signal. The post was acting as a chimney for an underground fire and was warm to touch just above ground level. In that area the coal is just below ground. When we tried to lay a buried cable along there the trenching machine was cutting coal as it went along.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do know where this photo is taken, but I am having trouble identifying the loco number. 

From an inspection of what I can see of the number on the original scan, it looks like 47512 but that loco was withdrawn in Large Logo Blue. 

Has anyone any ideas? The date is circa 1995. 

2020-05-11-0004.jpg.a7d8208b636606e54c5b6f71250cf0b0.jpg

12 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I do know where this photo is taken, but I am having trouble identifying the loco number. 

From an inspection of what I can see of the number on the original scan, it looks like 47512 but that loco was withdrawn in Large Logo Blue. 

Has anyone any ideas? The date is circa 1995. 

2020-05-11-0004.jpg.a7d8208b636606e54c5b6f71250cf0b0.jpg

Looks like 47525, it was used on the Pigs Trotter tour in October 1995 in that condition. At least the ETH worked - good given the tour starter at 04:20.

Edited by Bomag
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Bomag said:

Looks like 47525, it was used on the Pigs Trotter tour in October 1995

Looking at a photo on Flickr the staining matches your suggestion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much everyone. I'm surprised they let it's bodywork get as bad as that for a rail tour in those days. 

Edited to add, that had I been a little more patient, a few images along the filmstrip is a shot of it from the opposite end, clearly showing the number. :banghead:

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Thanks very much everyone. I'm surprised they let it's bodywork get as bad as that in those days. 

I think there was an argument between sectors. It was due to go to RfD and AFAIR there was a disagreement about its previous owner paying for the remedial action on the poor body work. In later photos the cabs were painted RfD with Tinsley depot plaque and the bit between still in intercity executive. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

I haven't scanned any negatives for ages, but here is one from a packet I found while rummaging in my drawers. 

674560079_61088gcgwjt1962.jpg.d0469ac7c2b6367ae62aef29143d0647.jpg

61088 was a Colwick loco in the early 1960s, and is in charge of a rake of Stanier coaches. In the foreground appears to be a suburban DMU with a toilet in one of the vehicles (probably a trailer composite).  Just beyond the brake van, but on the adjacent track, is what seems to be some form of GWR tank loco. 

Does anyone recognise this station? 

GW & GC Joint seems to fit for most of the clue. 

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can’t help with location, but I thought GW/GC joint was signalled by GWR and the signalling in the photo isn’t GW practice.

Note also, the DMU appears to be part of a freight train - being delivered perhaps?

Further thoughts: is it a DMU?  TCL tended to be in 3 car units - there are no visible exhausts on what would be the power cars.

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Additional comment.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Can’t help with location, but I thought GW/GC joint was signalled by GWR and the signalling in the photo isn’t GW practice.

Note also, the DMU appears to be part of a freight train - being delivered perhaps?

Paul.

In BR days there are upper quadrant signals on the GC/GW joint.

Possibly one of the stations where the platforms are on loops and it might be looking south.

Edited by melmerby