Lack of updates...

rapidotrains

Hi guys,

I just wanted to explain why I've been so quiet lately.

We're in the middle of reorganizing the way Rapido is run so that I no longer have to be involved in every single step of the process. As we've grown so much in the last two years we have to stop running the company like it's three guys being silly. It's now six guys being silly, plus Janet.

We're also preparing to move to a new industrial unit next month as our current one is so small that we're doubling up in each of the very small offices. These two tasks have taken up a great deal of time, which has left less time for doing all of the promotion work that I normally do, which includes preparing for a massive Canadian product launch in two weeks' time.

Consequently, I haven't had the time to keep you all properly informed.

So here's a quick update.

1. The N gauge Pendolino has started tooling. We're working very hard to have at least an undecorated sample out of the moulds in time for the Warley show.

2. The N gauge TEA tanker tooling is well under way, and we will certainly have samples for Warley and possibly even decorated ones.

3. The designs for our new OO project are just about done. We are doing some tweaking based on some recent experience with North American models and then it goes into tooling next month. We'll get samples in December or January, so we'll bring a 3D-printed sample to Warley and show you pictures of the moulds - i.e. big blobs of steel that look like a model train if you squint a bit. We don't want to be accused of vapourware, so it's important that we show you the photos of the blobs.

4. We have decided to move up one of our other projects so you can expect a second brand-new product announcement at Warley as well. Because we're NOT BUSY ENOUGH.

5. The APT-E needed some internal tooling revisions, which are happening right now. We're also cutting the rivets, which have caused Bill to revolt and go work for Lego. The factory informed us very late in the day that we needed to spread the rivets apart a fraction of a millimetre, which is all well and good except that there are close to 100,000 of them. There is no button in Bill's CAD software that says "spread these out just a smidge." So you can imagine what he's been going through.

APT-E production will be well under way by Warley so we we will have operating production samples. Bring on your #2 radius curves - this train EATS THEM FOR BREAKFAST.

That's about it. Oh - if you want to watch our latest 1:1 carriage restoration video, it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD0zDtEMcR8&feature=youtu.be

You'll need to turn down the volume.  For some reason my iMovie keeps outputting videos to YouTube at 187 Decibels. I'm working on that...

Thanks and regards,

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the update.

Quote:- " rivets.....there are close to 100,000 of them".

I hope you know the exact number or the rivet counters will be upset lol

Surely that's the rivet counters job to know how many there are, we can all get a bit of peace while they count them, so don't tell them.

• RMweb Premium

While on the subject of updates, is there any news of the good ship Railcrew Products? We had been made aware that the vessel had sailed from Orient's shores, and that it was expected into home port at the start of October. Has it yet been sighted off the coast? Has it hitherto avoided incident regarding pirates and reefs?

Perhaps it has docked - has the excise man been satisfied that the goods carried were indeed Remote Uncouplers and Switch Machines, and not (as he is wont to suspect) Brandy nor Baccy nor Tatties nor Tulip Bulbs?

Perhaps even now the anticipated goods are being portaged such that they may make onwards travel to the shores of Albion?

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

We're in the middle of reorganizing the way Rapido is run so that I no longer have to be involved in every single step of the process. As we've grown so much in the last two years we have to stop running the company like it's three guys being silly. It's now six guys being silly, plus Janet.

Thanks and regards,

Jason

I feel sorry for poor Janet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

We're also preparing to move to a new industrial unit next month as our current one is so small that we're doubling up in each of the very small offices. These two tasks have taken up a great deal of time, which has left less time for doing all of the promotion work that I normally do, which includes preparing for a massive Canadian product launch in two weeks' time.

Consequently, I haven't had the time to keep you all properly informed.

So here's a quick update.

1. The N gauge Pendolino has started tooling. We're working very hard to have at least an undecorated sample out of the moulds in time for the Warley show.

2. The N gauge TEA tanker tooling is well under way, and we will certainly have samples for Warley and possibly even decorated ones.

3. The designs for our new OO project are just about done. We are doing some tweaking based on some recent experience with North American models and then it goes into tooling next month. We'll get samples in December or January, so we'll bring a 3D-printed sample to Warley and show you pictures of the moulds - i.e. big blobs of steel that look like a model train if you squint a bit. We don't want to be accused of vapourware, so it's important that we show you the photos of the blobs.

4. We have decided to move up one of our other projects so you can expect a second brand-new product announcement at Warley as well. Because we're NOT BUSY ENOUGH.

5. The APT-E needed some internal tooling revisions, which are happening right now. We're also cutting the rivets, which have caused Bill to revolt and go work for Lego. The factory informed us very late in the day that we needed to spread the rivets apart a fraction of a millimetre, which is all well and good except that there are close to 100,000 of them. There is no button in Bill's CAD software that says "spread these out just a smidge." So you can imagine what he's been going through.

APT-E production will be well under way by Warley so we we will have operating production samples. Bring on your #2 radius curves - this train EATS THEM FOR BREAKFAST.

That's about it. Oh - if you want to watch our latest 1:1 carriage restoration video, it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD0zDtEMcR8&feature=youtu.be

You'll need to turn down the volume.  For some reason my iMovie keeps outputting videos to YouTube at 187 Decibels. I'm working on that...

Thanks and regards,

Jason

Hi Jason

hopefully you will be able to show how it handles 3rd and 4th radius also on some running track ?

Archived