Realtrack FLA inners? Any chance?

sonofjamie

HI,

New to the forum, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

I have just sent an order away for 3 pairs of FLA's with containers and while I am waiting for their arrival I just wondered if REALTRACK (or anybody else for that matter) has any plans to produce the 'inner' version of these wagons??

Unlikely. The Realtrack 'FLA' wagon is a coupled pair. Are you sure your not mixing these up with the Five-Unit British Railway Freightliner Wagons? They had inner (FFA) and outer (FGA) wagons: aka, FGA+FFA+FFA+FFA+FGA. Bachmann plan to do these. See link http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87703-Bachmann-announce-ffafga-early-container-flats/

As quoted from the Astra Rail website:

FLA 2 x 40´ | 8-axle UK container wagon (Lowliner)

This wagon with 2 platforms is designed for transportation of 9’6” high 2500 mm wide containers within W8 and SB1-C gauge on a loading deck of 40’. Wagon platforms are connected by a tie rod.

http://www.astrarail.com/products/intermodal-wagons/fla-2-x-40-lowliner/

Hi Doddy,

Thanks for your comment but no, I am aware of these and looking forward to their release.

According to the LTSV Wagons website, FLA's also ran in a similar configuration to the FGA/FFA i.e 3 'inners' and 2 'outers' :-

http://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_053.php

There is a picture of an FLA 'inner' on the right hand side of the article.

HI All

Its a different wagon but some have done some kit bashing to achieve that look.

If you need spare decks give me a call.

Regards Arran

Hi Arran,

Cheers! and thanks.

I have also just taken delivery of a large order of various containers from yourself (reefers, tanks, and dry boxes). Well impressed!!! The 'Cast' containers are particularly welcome as these are a bit of nostalgia for me. I've been looking for 'Cast' containers for years as I used to drive lorries with these on a regular basis. The haulage company that I drove for did a lot of work for the 'Cast' shipping company as well as 'Ellerman' (Cunard Ellerman I believe?).

• 1 year later...

HI,

New to the forum, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

I have just sent an order away for 3 pairs of FLA's with containers and while I am waiting for their arrival I just wondered if REALTRACK (or anybody else for that matter) has any plans to produce the 'inner' version of these wagons??

Evening, I have just purchased 10 FLA's from Charlie which are lovely wagons. Just wondering if I could get some guidance?

I can only seem to run 7 x FLA wagons (14 x Hi Cube Containers) and then only when I double head the consist. My curves are greater than 4th radius as I have used peco flexi track. If I run more than 7 FLA's the train hardly moves and then on entering the first bend they de-rail which would suggest that the physics aren't correct. By comparisionI can run 18 x Gulf Oil 100 tonne tanks with a single class 66.

Greatly appreciate any help, Anyone any ideas?

Best,

Chris

Evening, I have just purchased 10 FLA's from Charlie which are lovely wagons. Just wondering if I could get some guidance?

I can only seem to run 7 x FLA wagons (14 x Hi Cube Containers) and then only when I double head the consist. My curves are greater than 4th radius as I have used peco flexi track. If I run more than 7 FLA's the train hardly moves and then on entering the first bend they de-rail which would suggest that the physics aren't correct. By comparisionI can run 18 x Gulf Oil 100 tonne tanks with a single class 66.

Greatly appreciate any help, Anyone any ideas?

Best,

Chris

HI Chris

The bogies are inside bearing which do create more friction, try using some dry lubricant on them like a graphite.

Regards Arran 

Thanks Arran I have tried graphite based on a previous post. The consist just de-rails, it seems that it is over torqued as the wagons as they enter the greater than 4th radius curve are pulled across the curve and fall over. Not seen this before when longer consists are hauled over the track.

Greatly appreciate any further thoughts.

Best,

Chris

Are the bogies free to rotate enough without binding or the wheels contacting the framework, are the bogies able to 'rock' to allow for any slight discrepancies in track alignment.

I know this is all basic stuff but sometimes its the obvious stuff we miss.

Many thanks Royal Oak and Glorious NSE I have added some small Industrial magnets to the first four container wagons in reducing amounts from the engines. Unfortunately they still de-rail.

I have checked the bogies and they are free.

I just think if I did the engineering calcs then the physics would determine the maximum consist is 7 FLA's given the parameters stated. Great shame given that I can run 18 x Gulf 100 Tonne Tankers with 1 x Class 66 (although rather slowly over the incline)

any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Chris

Many thanks Royal Oak and Glorious NSE I have added some small Industrial magnets to the first four container wagons in reducing amounts from the engines. Unfortunately they still de-rail.

I have checked the bogies and they are free.

I just think if I did the engineering calcs then the physics would determine the maximum consist is 7 FLA's given the parameters stated. Great shame given that I can run 18 x Gulf 100 Tonne Tankers with 1 x Class 66 (although rather slowly over the incline)

any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Chris

On the Real Railway, FLA Wagons do not run in rakes, the are used as 'Add Ons' to fixed formations, so the chances of long rakes of FLA's are very rarely seen, If ever!

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, we despatch at least a full rake of Hi cube FLA's on our network every day as a result of customer demand. 

My Ops Manager tells me we have just despatched a full rake of FLA's on the 1548 from Birmingham to Southampton which left an hour ago.

He also tells me the 0932 Southampton to Coatbridge today was also made up of a full rake of Hi Cube FLA's.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

My layout has curves that are very tight in places especially into the fiddle yard and whilst certain trains are not seen at exhibitions at home I have tested various rakes for other projects. (Including 15 HHA's with the full chassis block 150 hauling it) Sometimes the odd derailment has occurred and is often down to 1 wheel set or bogie. You might have already done this but run the rake slowly and try and work out the exact spot where a wheel or bogie catches, could be a Rail joint, could just been a tight wheel or bogie which is causing it. Once this is found you can take that wagon out and see if that helps or put it in a different spot behind the locos and see if that cures the problem.

Hope that helps

Mark

Thanks Charlie, we despatch at least a full rake of Hi cube FLA's on our network every day as a result of customer demand. 

My Ops Manager tells me we have just despatched a full rake of FLA's on the 1548 from Birmingham to Southampton which left an hour ago.

He also tells me the 0932 Southampton to Coatbridge today was also made up of a full rake of Hi Cube FLA's.

Regards,

Chris

I stand corrected!  When built that was not there purpose we were told, I hasve got loads of photos of these, never seen a full rake of Twin Sets.   Charlie

Thanks Charlie thanks Mark, yes I have swapped the consist around to see if that makes a difference. They seem to de-rail at lengths of greater than 7 x FLA's in every curve. A real shame these are great models.

Best,

Chris

Archived