Harburn Hobbies

Hammer

The quality of the shop almost goes without saying. It's certainly one of the nicest model shops I've been in, with friendly staff. I didn't even get a frown for being loaded down with two bulky bags and spending a good 20 minutes going through the kits.

Excellent selection of their own scenic bits and pieces as well, although I'm sure they have a smaller selection on display in the shop then they take to exhibitions.

Of note however is that they are currently doing the Hornby SPT 101 for £50. At that price I'm sorely tempted to pick one up and damn the consequences (can always repaint it BR Green ;)).

• 1 year later...

I've just had delivered mail order three wagons. Excellent quick service, with postage charged at cost (well under the standard flat rates from other shops I've seen). The wagons were 33-177T/U/V specially commissioned for the shop from Bachmann. The wagons themselves are well weathered, looking like a little more thought has been applied to the process than just leaving them downwind of an airbrush.

Just a satisfied customer.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick note to let you know that this Saturday (27th August), Harburn Hobbies are having their annual Bachmann day with 20% off all Bachmann products (usual exceptions on limited editions etc), and there will be refreshments. I'm going to pop up and see if there's anything interesting! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Called in yesterday.

Various DMUs in funny colours on special offer for those with modern and northern interests.

I was only looking to see if they had the new Bachmann Nissen Hut.

They did.

They also had paint at BOGOF prices.

I stocked up to the extent that the savings more than covered the cost of the hut.

Excellent friendly service as usual.

Bernard

• 2 months later...

This Friday (11th Nov) and Saturday (12th Nov), Harburn Hobbies will be hosting their annual Hornby event, 9.30 - 6 (both days). There will be 20% off most Hornby, Corgi and Airfix products.

Simon Kohler, marketing manager and Malcolm Edwards from Hornby will be making their regular appearances on both days. Using a small end-to-end layout, they will be demonstrating digital control, happy to discuss and advise on the benefits of the system. They may even tell you about the making of James May's "Toy Stories" BBC TV programme if you ask them nicely!

Also from this Sunday (13th Nov) in the run-up to Christmas, Harburn Hobbies will be opening on Sundays (11-5 until 4th Dec, 10-5 on 11th and 18th. (Unsurprisingly they're closed Christmas Day and New Year's Day, but are open Boxing Day and 2nd Jan for you to take in your Christmas money from Santa to spend!

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I popped in twice over the weekend and the shop was busy both times....

Spoke about various things with Simon and his colleague.

Some bargains to be had....

I bought a 'shop return' Devon Belle Observation coach that needed a bit of TLC.

Open it up, stick the seats back in, replace broken buffers.

Total time = 40 minutes.

Anyone gues how much I paid for it?

Thanks

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

Just passing on info - it's Harburn Hobbies' annual Bachmann Promotional Day again this Saturday, 25th August (9.30-6.00) - 67 Elm Row, on Leith Walk, Edinburgh EH7 4AQ

There will be:-

Pre-production samples on display of the D11/2 Scottish Directors "Eddie Ochiltree" and "Lady of the Lake" and the Class 47 "Sir Walter Scott".

An Olympic Torch carried in the Torch Relay will be here (MORNING ONLY, 9.30 - Noon) - Bring your camera if you would like your picture taken holding it!

DCC sound demonstrations.

20% off most Bachmann and Graham Farish products (with a few exclusions).

Free prize draw for Harburn Hobbies Gift Vouchers.

Refreshments.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, a note for the Edinburgh/Scotland based folk - it's the Harburn Hornby event tomorrow and Saturday (9th and 10th). 20% off most Hornby, Corgi, Scalextric and Airfix products, just in time for Christmas... Plus a free prize draw.

As usual, Simon Kohler will be at the shop both days to answer questions and demonstrate some of the digital locos. Previous years have seen him bringing pre-production samples with him (last year I seem to remember there were the Gresley suburban coaches - maybe this year he might have the Thompson suburbans with him?).

There will also be an Olympic Torch there on the Saturday morning (9.30-12.00) so bring a camera and have your photo taken with it. (HH are also selling limited edition gold OO postboxes like the ones in Hunter Square and on the corner of Hanover Street to honour Chris Hoy).

If there are any nice pre-production sample photos, I'll try to post them both here and in their appropriate threads in the Hornby area - probably on Sunday night or Monday.

• 9 months later...

This Saturday (24th August, 9.30-6.00) is Harburn Hobbies' annual Bachmann day, with 20% off most Bachmann and Graham Farish products, free prize draw for Harburn Hobbies gift vouchers.

There will be refreshments, DCC sound demonstrations and Bachmann locomotive servicing advice.

• RMweb Gold

We visited the shop yesterday and it was good to see the shop busy.

They were handing out free snacks and drinks aswell.

I could have bought quite a bit more than I did but as we are travelling light we don't have much room in our bags so it was one N scale wagon and dome decoders etc for me.

It's about 10 minutes walk from Waverley station and the Windsor Buffet pub is a good refreshment stop for a choice of Scottish real ales.

Ian

• 2 months later...

Hi all, just passing on the usual information - the Hornby weekend starts tomorrow in Harburn Hobbies.

"Simon Kohler, Hornby's marketing manager will again be joining us for our annual event, to chat and answer any questions you may have.

Using a small end to end layout, Simon will be demonstrating e-link, Hornby's cutting edge Digital Control system which uses modern computer technology. Also for the first time, one of our service engineers will be offering practical advice on maintaining and servicing Hornby locomotives.

There are discounts of 20% off most Hornby, Corgi, Scalextric and Airfix items. For our 'N' gauge modellers, (we haven't forgotten you!) there will be 20% off Graham Farish items too.

Refreshments will be available both days (8th and 9th November). There will also be a competition and free prize draw."

Edited by sixoh8sixoh

• RMweb Premium

Hornby didn't show anything that has not been seen already, but they did confirm that Hornby's 2014 range will be announced before Christmas - I think it is to be 19 December, a Thursday, This is my recollection, so wouldn't like to be held absolutely to this in case it is the 17th - either way, in under 6 weeks, all will be revealed.

John

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A great shop to visit in terms of layout but what does it for me is the customer service! I decided to get their exclusive Bachmann Scottish & Newcastle Breweries 14t Tank Wagon. I initially thought I'd order it online but thought that I could save myself the p&p charges by getting it at Model Rail Scotland. I emailed the shop asking if they would be bringing the wagons to the show and they replied that they would not as they only had a few left however if I wanted one they would reserve it for me and bring it! I replied that I would and they did without any deposit! On picking it up today I was told it was indeed the last one! Top service! Oh and it's a brilliant model!

• 5 months later...

This coming weekend, Harburn Hobbies will be hosting a Bachmann & Graham Farish promotion event in the shop. This year the event will span two days, Friday 22nd and Saturday 23rd. All are very welcome. Throughout the two days there will be:-

- Up to 20% off most Bachmann OO Gauge products.
- Up to 20% off most Graham Farish N Gauge products.
- Demonstration layout in operation.
- DCC Sound demonstration using Bachmann and Gaugemaster products - have a drive yourself! DCC advice also available.
- Loco service/repair advice.

- Free prize draw.

- Refreshments.

In addition to the above, samples of the following forthcoming models will be on show:- Bachmann Branchline: 31-430 Midland 1F, 31-431 Midland 1F, 39-776 50ft Inspection Saloon, 39-126G BR Mk 1 CK – BR Maroon (weathered), 39-131 BR Mk 1 – Network Southeast, 39-127E BR Mk 1 CK – Crimson & Cream (weathered), 33-184 12T Salt Wagon – Tollemache.

Graham Farish:- 372-184 ‘Princess Coronation’ 4-6-2 No. 46245 City of London, 372-388 A2 4-6-2 No. 60532 Blue Peter, 371-085 Class 25 - D5188, 371-088 Class 25 – 25 231, 371-169 Class 37 – 37 409 (DRS livery), 371-165 Class 37 – 37 407 Loch Long, 371-168 Class 37 – 37 506 (Railfreight), 374-786 CCT van – Tartan Arrow

There will also be a special announcement over the weekend...

Usual terms and conditions apply to the discounts and normal opening hours apply - 9.30am to 6pm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

was it harburns that commissioned those lima mk3 coaches in scotrail livery back in the day or were they a standard release?

afaik nobody has commissioned any new releases from Hornby despite a couple of rumours. is this a viable and or attractive proposition for harburn to consider as they would fill the gap nicely with bachmanns class 47/7's and the mk2 DBSO...

i suppose theres a chance Hornby already plan on releasing scotrail mk3s yet.

Edited by ThaneofFife

was it harburns that commissioned those lima mk3 coaches in scotrail livery back in the day or were they a standard release?

afaik nobody has commissioned any new releases from Hornby despite a couple of rumours. is this a viable and or attractive proposition for harburn to consider as they would fill the gap nicely with bachmanns class 47/7's and the mk2 DBSO...

Lima did do a standard run of Scotrail Mk 3s circa 25 years ago. Sometime around 1995 Harburn also did a boxed set of a 47/7 plus 3 Scotrail Mk 3s.

I'm happy to see this thread as it's the first time I have dealt with Harburn Hobbies.

Residing in the USA it was all on line, an excellent site clearly set out and easy to follow, order giving straightforward as was payment and prompt, by return virtually, air mail delivery at a reasonable cost. On arrival I was very pleased with the quality of the goods.

They will eventually be seen on Hintock.

HH were a pleasure to deal with and next  time I need something Hatton's can't supply I'll look to them.

A very satisfied customer.