Tragic News for hayle model railway club

Cornish_Rail

Tragic News for hayle model railway club although details are scarce the has been a fire within the premises that hold our club room from what ive heard 8 fire units were used as it started at the back and spread down stairs and up stairs although nothing has been confirmed in terms of damage to the club as it has been sealed off for investigation i fear the worst for the club..

A catastrophe indeed, your club and all it's members have our deepest sympathies and heres hoping that things will not be quite as bad as imagined.

If not, heres hoping that the insurance pays out in full and on time and that the club pulls together and can stay together and make a fresh start/re-build.

If we can help in any way, please ask!

You never know, we could send something to sell and raise funds etc.

All the best,

John Edge,

For and on behalf of Leigh MRS, Lancashire.

• RMweb Premium

Despite being 12000 miles away I was alerted to the fire in Pratts Market within minutes of it occurring thanks to my good local contacts from the days when I lived in Hayle. I immediately feared not only for the club room itself but that lightning had struck twice. The original Hayle MRC was burned out in 1984 and reformed in 1992 in the current location.

We can only wait and see when the building is released what the damage is. I am told that industrial fans are in use to clear thick smoke-logging and that until it is safe enough to enter then no further inspection can take place. The cause of the fire is not yet established and arson has not been ruled out.

• RMweb Premium

Still awaiting any word on the extent of the losses. My contacts in town are saying the building is still completely sealed off and under Police control. Word from the emergency services is that the incident was considered "major" with eight fire crews from five stations in attendance. The severe smoke-logging might suggest a slow-burning fire which hasn't of itself gutted the building. As the alarm was raised at just before 8am, which is when the market opens, it may be that this was smouldering away all night filling the place with thick smoke.

• RMweb Gold

I spoke to Dave in Team Track Trading today (they are sponsoring the Hayle shows this year). Lastest is the clubrooms are only(!) smoke damaged, but as Gwiver says no-one as yet has been allowed in to check. They feel they might have lost 3 of the O gauge boards, but the planned exhibitions will still go ahead, using members own layouts instead of club ones if necessary.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have just found this on the Team Track Trading website :

Hayle Model Railway Club

6th March 2010

Hayle Model Railway Club suffered a serious fire at the building in which are their clubrooms. There has been some smoke damage to the clubroom and to part of their O scale layout. It will be some time before they are able to resume normal club activities BUT their exhibitions are UNAFFECTED. The planned exhibitions will go ahead.

Richard Polley, Chairman, told us that the May exhibition did not have any of the Hayle layouts planned for display and alternative plans for the August exhibition are already in place.

Stu

• RMweb Premium

'bout as good as it can get in the circumstances. Thanks for the update; my Hayle grapevine has been very quiet these past weeks for reasons personal to those people concerned.

i was chatting to a few fellow members at the show today and was told the club have been to look at a new clubroom at praze & beeble which is huge compared to our old one from what i was told we only had minor smoke damage to the old clubroom

david

• 3 months later...

Archived