Class 37 Locomotive Group Book "Syphon Salute"

martinC37LG

Hello Everyone,

I hope this might be of interest to some of you as I know that there are a lot of Class 37 enthusiasts on here, and also some of the photo's in this book would make great reference material for modellers, historians etc.

Apolgies for the blatent cut and paste of our press release!

Martin Ranson, Chairman - Class 37 Locomotive Group.

In association with Kevin Derrick of Strathwood publications, the Class 37 Locomotive Group (Owners of 37003 at the Mid Norfolk Railway) have been toiling away for the last 12 months to arrive at a 96 page hardback pictorial book celebrating fifty sterling years service of the English Electric type Three's or British Rail Class 37's.

The book is split into seven chapters showing some of the best images of Class 37 workings on various freight and passenger workings, that they were renowned and remembered for. This will bring back memories of the Licky bankers, as well as Triple-headed heavy freight to Ravenscraig and Llanwern.

The green and BR blue eras, as well as regions that that were their common stomping grounds, the Eastern, Scotland and Wales. With the sub class of 37/4's which earned themselves a cult following, and our own loco 37003 getting in on the act. It finishes off showing the class in the years leading up to, and after the Millennium.

All the profits from this project go directly towards the restoration of 37003. It is available for pre-order on our website http://c37lg.co.uk/shop_item.aspx?category=books&item=669 for £19.95 including P&P

We expect to receive the books towards the end of October for immediate dispatch.

Thanks for your interest.

post-27292-0-23980500-1443649968_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

My mates & I always called 37s "Syphons" back in the day (1970s trainspotting) but I never knew why and never saw that nickname anywhere else - took me a while when I came on RMweb to get used to the nickname "Tractor" being the common reference to 37s.

Glad to see this Title - it wasn't just us, after all..!!! :sungum:

PS. Where did 'Syphon' originate from??? :blush:

• Like 1

No lots of us Syphon fans around! In fact Tractor was deemed a derogatory term within our group for a long time, until it became more widespread and we had to cave in!

Our members magazine is also titled Syphon! which links in nicely with the book as well.

There are lots of theories on the origins of the nickname, but as far as I am concerned, the source is long since consigned to history.

The most credible is it had something to do with the number of grilles in the side making it look like the old GWR Syphon perishable goods wagons. But like I say, why, where and what we will never know for sure.

To old Eastern men they still just 1750's after the horse power.

Martin

My mates & I always called 37s "Syphons" back in the day (1970s trainspotting) but I never knew why and never saw that nickname anywhere else - took me a while when I came on RMweb to get used to the nickname "Tractor" being the common reference to 37s.

• Like 1

Not from South Wales, where they were always "six-eighters" - "sixty-eights" or "Ingis"

Brian R

Looks like an interesting read. As regards nicknames, when I was 'spotting back in the early 80s I wasn't aware of any nicknames being used.

When I returned to modelling some years ago, I found the nicknames rather odd.

Here's 37003 they way I like to remember it.

post-7898-0-88547700-1443776879.jpg

post-7898-0-09329600-1443776902.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info, Looks like a good book which I'll probably buy.

It's been a good year for 37's, especially those of us living in the North West. I've been lucky to get plenty of decent video of them on the Cumbrian Coast passenger workings.

I don't get all this Syphon or Tractor lark, let alone class 37. They were always EE3's or 6700's to us GE boys, and passenger locos to boot.

That is until the other herberts decided to clone a few more for elsewhere. Spoil 'em they did, did away with twin headcodes, even painted patches of yellow on the ends.

Stewart

• Like 1

Lovely photos Alcanman. Two out of three preserved, and based only 25 miles apart! Uncanny.

Looks like an interesting read. As regards nicknames, when I was 'spotting back in the early 80s I wasn't aware of any nicknames being used.

When I returned to modelling some years ago, I found the nicknames rather odd.

Here's 37003 they way I like to remember it.

attachicon.gif37003 Sunderland South Dock 8.2.81.jpg

attachicon.gif37008,37003 and 37032 Sunderland 8.2.81.jpg

• RMweb Gold

For those who would like a few preview shots from the book, take a look at the November/December 2015 TRACTION magazine who give a idea of their quality although they are reproduced smaller inevitably in the magazine.

We expect delivery of this title into stock around 29 October, 2015 for those who wish to help the Class 37 Locomotive Group to raise funds for their cause please see their website for ordering details http://www.c37lg.co.uk/shop.aspx

Kevin

I've just ordered one. I couldn't get the 'gift aid' option to work though.

Hello Colin, Many thanks for your purchase.

I believe the gift aid option is only for purchasing memberships and donations, but I will look into it with our IT guru to make sure as you may have found a flaw in our system!

Thanks again

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let you know that we have been informed of a slight delay to the arrival of our book in the UK, which I believe is around two weeks.

I am very sorry for this, and would like to apologise to those of you that have already ordered one and are sitting on the edges of their seats in anticipation!

I promise we will get it to you as soon as we can!

For anyone else tempted to buy one. It is worth the wait, so take a look at our website for the details http://c37lg.co.uk/shop_item.aspx?category=books&item=669

Thanks

Martin

C37LG Chairman.

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening everybody.

As you may have noticed, we haven't mentioned the status of our book "Syphon Salute" recently.

This is because it has met with further delays, and we have been trying to get some solid information about its current arrival time.

From the current information to hand, we should have it by the end of this month. Hooray!
I hope you will all bear with us on this, and we really do appreciate your patience.
If anyone feels the need to cancel their order, then we totally understand that. Please message us, and we will take all the necessary steps to get your money back to you.

As ever, many thanks to Kevin at Strathwood for his perserverance in getting this into the UK, then to us, and finally into your hands!

All the best

Martin

According to our agent the books have arrived in the country and are awaiting customs clearance, so hopefully they will be in our warehouse by friday and we can start shipping them out from next week.

Kevin

Yes what he said! Thanks Kevin you beat me to it.

We are now advertising again with confidence, so if anyone would like to purchase a copy of our book please visit http://c37lg.co.uk/shop_item.aspx?category=books&item=669

All proceeds go straight into the restoration pot for our loco 37003, and having just written a cheque for £2500 for a set of piston rings and main bearings we need it!

Why oh why did I get involved with a 12 cylinder loco, 8 would have been so much cheaper! But not as much fun :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Yes they have arrived at long last into our warehouse and we are shipping them out as fast as we can now, thanks to all for their patience. Thats over 500 of the 1000 pre-sold so be quick either via the Class 37 Locomotive Group direct or to us at www.Strathwood.co.uk

Kevin

• Like 1