45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Is this crane going to be vastly different to the Hornby crane? I don't mean detail wise. 30 years dictates that this will be superior in that respect lol. But is it a hugely different machine to that one or are they pretty similar?

Thanks

The proposed Bachmann model is much closer to the old Hornby Dublo model

post-6861-0-97901400-1443688406.jpg

Bar a couple of 'working toy' features it was not a bad model at all. The jib being too short being the main fault.

• Like 3

The proposed Bachmann model is much closer to the old Hornby Dublo model

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Bar a couple of 'working toy' features it was not a bad model at all. The jib being too short being the main fault.

Hopefully it will be much better than the HD crane (which was based on a Cowans Sheldon prototype btw). It will be interesting to see how much 'string' Bachmann will feel able to include.

Hopefully it will be much better than the HD crane (which was based on a Cowans Sheldon prototype btw). It will be interesting to see how much 'string' Bachmann will feel able to include.

Yes, I posted it as a closer match in size and period to the proposed Bachmann model than is the Hormby model. And one would certainly hope that it is better than the fine Dublo model which is now fifty years old.

Its going to be interesting to see how Bachmann tackle this, as it will no doubt pose them a few challenges. There are also multiple detail variations to look out for, especially for the later service models. However if tackled to the standard they do everything else to, this will be superb.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wild_boar_fell_railways/9234671524/in/album-72157634550106108/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wild_boar_fell_railways/9234671524/in/album-72157634550106108/incase the embed doesn't work.

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Scratch build in plasticard would be interesting and cheaper too. Might be good for other quirky departmental stuff if you can find some drawings.

Peter Tatlow s, excellent books on Railway Breakdown Cranes is a good place to start.

This was built from a Peter Tatlow drawing, apart from the wheels it is plastic card.

post-16423-0-09405300-1463853651_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good grief Clive, that looks damn fine old chap. I haven't got the Crane book but I do have his book (think it is his) about his time at Eastleigh I think it was. 

The Exmouth Junction Crane is, I believe, at the Watercress. There is one at the GC at Loughborough but I can't remember if it is the same Diagram without searching.

Thanks mate.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The forth coming Bachmann crane, the Hornby one and even the Doublo beastie look impressive with their weight releaving bogies but they are too big even for a model depot the size of Hanging Hill. Through research I found that a medium size depot would have something like a 30 ton crane, which no one makes. In an old edition of BRM Peter Tatlow described the LMS Cowan Sheldon 30 ton cranes and included one of his wonderful drawings. My crane is a model of DE330115, ex LMS RS1075/30. Some how it was transferred  to the ER in boundary changes when the ex LMS lines in the Sheffield area where handed over to the Eastern. It was used as the regional spare crane, moving from depot to depot when cranes went for repair. Ideal for a fictional depot, trouble was I never had anyone geekier than me who questioned why DE330115 was at Hanging Hill. So I couldn't say that the home allocated crane was at Doncastser having its boiler repaired. :this:

I bet had I made a model of a crane that spent most of its life at one place I would have had "The only time crane xxxxx was away from Whateverplace shed was June 1957."  :no: :no:

The same bloke who invented the weight relieving bogie, Sir Fredrick Stokes, was the inventor of the modern mortar. :yes:

Thought as much; thanks though. Way down the list on their to come list I have noted today (BRM June).

Is there an alternative I could hack?

Phil

Scratch build in plasticard would be interesting and cheaper too. Might be good for other quirky departmental stuff if you can find some drawings.

Shameless plug I know, but we (Wild Boar Models) did produce a kit of these a year or so ago, we have none left, but I have seen one crop up on ebay. But we do have spares/NQP's for most of the major parts I believe, which couple be used as a 'scratch-aid' if desired.

Regards,

WBF

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Shameless plug I know, but we (Wild Boar Models) did produce a kit of these a year or so ago, we have none left, but I have seen one crop up on ebay. But we do have spares/NQP's for most of the major parts I believe, which couple be used as a 'scratch-aid' if desired.

Regards,

WBF

Many thanks matey. Much appreciated. 

Phil

• 1 year later...

Regards,

WBF

Good evening, I have just seen pictures and the article on the Wild Boar 45T breakdown crane, all I can say is amazing. Do you by chance have any kits left or have any plans to produce any more kits? I'm a SR modeller.

Kind regards

SouthernWay

Thanks!

May I ask which article you saw please? 

Sorry but unfortunately not, but from what I have seen of Bachmann's CAD renders, theirs should be worth the wait.

Kind Regards,

Wild Boar Fell