45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

you think thats a crazy price £3.25 for a one inch bit of track, or am i missing something here http://www.gaugemaster.com/_upload/imgs/lrg/34713/MN02235.jpg

It would take rather more than £3.25 to cover the paperwork, so if you sold nothing but single 1" lengths of track you would soon go broke.

Typical cost of handling and order processing an item anyone? It was a long time ago when I had to consider such things.

Bernard

It is not a bargain, I don't care how good the detail is I am not paying £250 for something I don't have to buy.

You could buy something (anything) at a 'bargain' price of (say) £10 but if it something you don't really want or need, never use it or even look at, it's not money well spent is it?

If you want (or even 'would like') a decent breakdown crane you seem to have these choices:

Scratch build one yourself (probably the cheapest option).

Kit build one yourself.

Pay someone to build one for you (probably the most expensive option).

Detail either a Hornby Dublo or a Tri-ang Hornby RTR model. Perhaps if someone produced a scale length jib for the HD crane this may be a more attractive option.

Buy a Bachmann model and stop bleating about the price.

In days when the RRP of a four-wheel wagon is pushing £30, a coach is £60 and a Stanier Duchess is £190, the anticipated price of Bachmann's crane should be put into perspecive. I can't help but agree with Tim Dubya.

• RMweb Premium

You could buy something (anything) at a 'bargain' price of (say) £10 but if it something you don't really want or need, never use it or even look at, it's not money well spent is it?

If you want (or even 'would like') a decent breakdown crane you seem to have these choices:

Scratch build one yourself (probably the cheapest option).

Kit build one yourself.

Pay someone to build one for you (probably the most expensive option).

Detail either a Hornby Dublo or a Tri-ang Hornby RTR model. Perhaps if someone produced a scale length jib for the HD crane this may be a more attractive option.

Buy a Bachmann model and stop bleating about the price.

In days when the RRP of a four-wheel wagon is pushing £30, a coach is £60 and a Stanier Duchess is £190, the anticipated price of Bachmann's crane should be put into perspecive. I can't help but agree with Tim Dubya.

Please see post number 15. Thank you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Notwithstanding the fact that this product has got this far in the process, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it wasn't actually marketed because of its price.

I have more than a slight suspicion that as far as Bachmann are concerned at least a couple of versions will 'sell out'.  They might not sell from retailers until the 15% imposition is past and Hattons can start knocking off about £80 but then the things will definitely sell out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Peter Tatlow s, excellent books on Railway Breakdown Cranes is a good place to start.

This was built from a Peter Tatlow drawing, apart from the wheels it is plastic card.

attachicon.gif30ton003.jpg

Did you build that Clive?

It's the wrong colour for you shirley? Though you just did BR Green un's

• RMweb Premium

Did you build that Clive?

It's the wrong colour for you shirley? Though you just did BR Green un's

Yeah. It was great fun to make.

The Bachmann crane would have been a purchase as it is the right type of crane for Tinsley shed, more importantly Tinsley Servicing Shed where it spent most of the time. Owing to moving house and a change in my modelling ideals I didn't progress with Tinsley but It would make a lovely exhibition layout showing what a real depot was like. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just committed 1.5 large locos' worth of funds to a crane...! (ordered the 'Bluebell' Crane (LNER BR Early Emblem)... Now more expense of track/pointwork and SPACE for a siding to keep it in... Thankfully have the best part of a year to figure that bit out :-)

And with Kernow’s recent cheap shunters trucks, something for the end of the jib in a demo lifting exercise!

Edited by G-BOAF

• 4 weeks later...

So much for 'end of 2018' hinted at in the RMWeb/BRM interview!

But on the plus side, would appear Bachmann have actually allocated production slots. I guess this means Bachmann intends to manufacture them before Chinese New Year 2019, which would equate to dispatch late Jan, 6 weeks at sea, arrival in UK march, customs, dispatch to retailers March/April.

More like an opportunity to yet "again" increase the RRP !

Surely the newly announced RRP is based on an agreed production slot (date) and production cost contracted (internally) with Kader, with material/currency changes hedged in. Why should the RRP change?

Surely the newly announced RRP is based on an agreed production slot (date) and production cost contracted (internally) with Kader, with material/currency changes hedged in. Why should the RRP change?

Unfortunately, Bachmann have previous for announcing the RRP of an item and on release the cost is significantly higher.

This was certainly the case with the Stanier Mogul, released in March 2017.

They usually announce price increase in February round about the time that the new catalogue is released.

I wouldn't be surprised if the RRP next year is £350 plus !

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, Bachmann have previous for announcing the RRP of an item and on release the cost is significantly higher.

This was certainly the case with the Stanier Mogul, released in March 2017.

They usually announce price increase in February round about the time that the new catalogue is released.

I wouldn't be surprised if the RRP next year is £350 plus !

At least another year, then.

I've already bailed out of my pre-order, placed when the crane was first announced.

If the price does get to that level, and I'm feeling especially flush when it finally arrives, I doubt I'll have any problem finding one.........

The deciding factor will be if there's absolutely nothing else that I've pre-ordered in the offing at the time. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Any price increase is pure speculation. Give em hell when it happens but for now there is nothing to confirm or deny such action.

Having just announced their price for the crane and been widely condemned it would be commercial suicide to announce another increase so soon after the first.

Edited by ndg910

I thought that it wasn't Bachmann's policy to give precise information about future release dates.  Has that changed or are Hattons now adding guesses about release dates to go with their guesses about prices?

The recent posts about various Bachmann future release items, quoting dates in 2019, has come from the interim Bachmann website, where they have provided an availability set of sheets for 2018 catalogue items. For the Ransomes crane, they have stated a March 2019 date. These sheets also give the 2018 Bachmann rrp values

Hello all,

I'm a newbie so I'll try not to go on too long (not like the wait for the crane anyway)!

I was wondering if anybody who is keen on purchasing the model as 38-800 (SR) could answer a question I have because I am thinking about getting it.

I'm wondering whether DS1560 or DS1561 were ever seen in the Eastern part of Kent (Margate and Ramsgate to be more specific).

I have been researching and I have seen DS1560 removing a footbridge at Sevenoaks and assisting at Hither Green following a derailment but I was wondering if either of them had been required at Broadstairs (03/08/41) during the second world war for instance.

My main focus is actually Ramsgate station (the first shed of Taw Valley)!

I know that the shed itself had a Cowans 15T (315S) but I'm assuming that any light pacific derailments would have required either a 36 or 45T crane.

Would it possibly be better for me to purchase a kit for the Cowans 15T instead?

I don't know too much about cranes but I do know they were loaned to Martin Mill as and when required, - is it possible that they came down via Minster?

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Regards, David

Any price increase is pure speculation. Give em hell when it happens but for now there is nothing to confirm or deny such action.

Having just announced their price for the crane and been widely condemned it would be commercial suicide to announce another increase so soon after the first.

I would like to say this is as you say "Pure Speculation",however the reality is that this is the norm for Bachmann, who have hiked prices each time the new range/catalogue is released.

Time will only tell if I'm right, but past form confirms my post.

Some folk keep buying their products whatever the price.

Fair enough. I’m not a big Bachmann purchaser as they tend to shy away from GWR and it takes at least three livery shots before a shirt button or Great Western livery appears rather than GWR by which time I’ve usually beaten them to it with a kit. 64xx is a classic example. I hope you are wrong but only time will tell.