45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

Any more news on the Crane? Isn't it supposed to be in production by now for delivery Dec/Jan?

All gone very quiet. Over a month without any substantive posting in this topic.

Hope its not suffered a lack of pre-orders and been brexited, sorry postponed.

Although not strictly about breakdown cranes (because it deals with permanent way cranes), those with an interest in cranes will wish to know of the next of my father's books which will be launched at Scaleforum in September this year.

attachicon.gifthumbnail_9780960936848 Railway Cranes (2).jpg

Or it can be bought through the usual sellers and the publisher Crecy.

Hopefully pick a copy up at Wigan.

Cheers

Simon

• 1 month later...

Just stumbled across this fascinating thread, thought I could add a photo ....

My 36 ton Ransome & Rapier GWR crane,   built by my friend Steffan Lewis (RIP),  

I am lucky to own 2 of these beautifully built cranes.  GWR 2  &  GWR 3 

Any comments welcome. 

post-6510-0-62823300-1540295610_thumb.jpg

post-6510-0-62823300-1540295610_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Any more news on the Crane? Isn't it supposed to be in production by now for delivery Dec/Jan?

All gone very quiet. Over a month without any substantive posting in this topic.

Hope its not suffered a lack of pre-orders and been brexited, sorry postponed.

It is not currently scheduled for delivery within the next 12 months

www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138576-planned-Bachmann-branchline-release-schedule-published-19-october-2018/

Edited by lindi

Just stumbled across this fascinating thread, thought I could add a photo ....

My 36 ton Ransome & Rapier GWR crane,   built by my friend Steffan Lewis (RIP),  

I am lucky to own 2 of these beautifully built cranes.  GWR 2  &  GWR 3 

Any comments welcome. 

Steffan's models of these are indeed masterpieces. I also am lucky enough to have a pair, and he was kind enough to customise his "standard" version to my (very) particular specifications so that details of the cranes are accurate for early March 1935.  No 2 has one of the 1917 Swindon-built VFT boilers fitted, whilst No 3 has an original E. R. & F. Turner boiler. All the other very subtle detail differences between the two are also faithfully and accurately included. I may be the only person who appreciates the full subtlety of the pair, but the pleasure that they give is inestimable!

It is very hard to imagine that anyone will ever be able build a better model of these cranes in 4mm than these.

Steffan, rest in peace, Maestro.

• Like 4

FYI: Email from Hattons this morning about the Bachman GWR black version: “Release information not available”...

(Edited for predictive text typos)

Yes me to  - I cancelled my order - had enough  of these delays  and I have a better use for the cash so rather than piggy-banking it for an indeterminate period - I think I'm off to buy a couple of Hattons 66s instead - better progress, same sort of price and they have sound and they move under their own wotsit :senile: - I might reconsider when someone actually does a review but there again!!

Yes me to  - I cancelled my order - had enough  of these delays  and I have a better use for the cash .... - I might reconsider when someone actually does a review but there again!!

I'm sure you are not the only one. Having had good pre-orders, I'm sure there will be some back sliding, and likely further price rises, and my money is now 50/50 on whether this will see the light of day. Shame as in Jan 2018 it was so nearly there.

Also its only now (or rather the October update topic), that I hear about Bachmann's manufacturing problems. How did this pass me by? Where was it discussed? I might have been initially more sympathetic if I'd known.

I'm sure there will be some back sliding, and likely further price rises, and my money is now 50/50 on whether this will see the light of day...

Ummm, yeah, like Bachmann are going to invest a truckload of capital and resources into getting the model to the stage of engineering samples and then abandon the project altogether?  Highly unlikely methinks. 

I

I'm sure you are not the only one. Having had good pre-orders, I'm sure there will be some back sliding, and likely further price rises, and my money is now 50/50 on whether this will see the light of day. Shame as in Jan 2018 it was so nearly there.

Also its only now (or rather the October update topic), that I hear about Bachmann's manufacturing problems. How did this pass me by? Where was it discussed? I might have been initially more sympathetic if I'd known.

I originally had two on order at about £100 each when first announced- I had even put in the siding for them - then I winced when they doubled in price especially as I had built 25% leeway into the price in first place but sort of bit the bullet and put some more money aside!! - however if there is further indeterminate delay then there is no guarantee (juuuust guessing here :dontknow: ) that there won't be yet another price rise - and even for one I think we could be looking at a discount price of around £250-£280 by the time they arrive (although we may get free P&P from one or two suppliers). Couple that with recent reallocation of the allocated siding to parcels traffic (no unproductive sidings on my test track :no:) I no longer have room and the desire has withered.. .

I doubt the project will be cancelled entirely. As others have said, getting to the stage of engineering samples represents a pretty big sunk cost, so if they can expect to recoup that they will want to.

But I also agree that they will probably have seen a big loss of initial pre-orders after the RRP was announced, which will certainly affect the business case calculations. So it may well be held back for quite a while, until they have a clearer idea of how many are likely to sell.

One thing that has occurred to me is that they might want to investigate the option of selling it as a train pack as well as a standalone item. £200+ for an item of rolling stock - even a very good item of rolling stock - is a lot of money, but £300+ for a train pack containing said item, even though it's more in total, comes across as better value for money. But to do that, and remain profitable overall, the rest of the pack has to comprise items that have already covered development costs and can therefore be included in a pack at relatively low cost. And maybe they don't have a suitable selection of those, yet.

Ummm, yeah, like Bachmann are going to invest a truckload of capital and resources into getting the model to the stage of engineering samples and then abandon the project altogether?  Highly unlikely methinks. 

Indeed, I've not seen reference to the EPs other than your comment, but I totally agree.  The up-front investment is highly unlikely to be squandered by not bringing a model of this incredibly bespoke prototype to market.

The engineering prototypes have been on the Bachmann stand at various exhibitions already, and there are videos of them elsewhere in the thread (sorry, can't find them right now, but those who've posted them can probably remind us!). It does look very good, and doesn't seem to be all that far off being production-ready.

I'm still debating one, I don't need one, but I'd like one, I guess it just depends if there's anything else I want more when it is finally released. At the moment I think the only big ticket item I am waiting for is the Southern H2. After that, it all depends what is announced for 2019 the from growing list of manufacturers :)

Didn't Jim Russell say any service/department vehicles were painted black? (i.e. like loco coal wagons)

The Western 36-tonners were grey when delivered and for some years afterwards (there are monochrome photos which clearly show some parts to be much darker than the overall colour). The wartime 45-tonners were also grey when delivered, irrespective of the receiving company, although the 36's were certainly black by this time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Er, 250 at a 15% discount is about 210, 212 in fact so all is well.

Look about right for my pre-ordered price. Hopefully they don't go up, or if they do, that pre-order prices are honoured.

Good to have an estaimted delivery date. Sad its 9-10 months later than envisaged at the start of 2018, but understandable given the disruption Bachmann have.