45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

As we don't have a "plan b", Bachmann have got us by the short and curlies in the nicest possible way.

I won't be cancelling my order!

Mike.

What it boils down to is do you really want a very highly detailed model of a breakdown crane - 'yes' or 'no'?  Is it the right one for your modelling era/area of interest - 'yes' or 'n'?  and is it the only one likely to be coming to your favourite retailer where you have placed your pre-order - 'yes' or 'no'?

If you can tick all the yes boxes (like me) then all I/we have t do is wait because whatever else happens I have a very strong feeling it is likely to remain the only 'full fat' detailed 4mm scale  r-t-r breakdown crane we are likely to see.  My pre-order remains in place, very firmly in place.

What it boils down to is do you really want a very highly detailed model of a breakdown crane - 'yes' or 'no'? Is it the right one for your modelling era/area of interest - 'yes' or 'n'? and is it the only one likely to be coming to your favourite retailer where you have placed your pre-order - 'yes' or 'no'?

If you can tick all the yes boxes (like me) then all I/we have t do is wait because whatever else happens I have a very strong feeling it is likely to remain the only 'full fat' detailed 4mm scale r-t-r breakdown crane we are likely to see. My pre-order remains in place, very firmly in place.

Totally agree with this. I pondered the wild boar kit but decided to wait and see any feedback. It turned out a fantastic kit apparently but whilst I waited Bachmann made their announcement and I have diverted my kit building to building the remainder of the breakdown train. I rarely preorder but this was a nailed on certainty and am keeping my preorder firmly in place. Bachmann can take as long as they like as it will give the time to build my mess and tool van.

• Like 2

... I'd like one, I guess it just depends if there's anything else I want more when it is finally released...

The competitive landscape at the time of release will decide for me too. However fine it may be, there's a zillion alternative items I would prefer in RTR, a list that starts with LMS design general merchandise opens and vans.

I guess the fustration (or rather mine) is that in Jan we saw full tooled, merely awaiting decoration sign off, samples of the crane. This sets exectations.

I'll be waiting, and have plenty else to play with, but it is that disappointment that the clock has been reset.

• RMweb Premium

I guess the fustration (or rather mine) is that in Jan we saw full tooled, merely awaiting decoration sign off, samples of the crane. This sets exectations.

I'll be waiting, and have plenty else to play with, but it is that disappointment that the clock has been reset.

It was at Warley a year ago... looked lovely and I pre-ordered having seen it. I can wait, but not without disappointment.
  • Like 1

What it boils down to is do you really want a very highly detailed model of a breakdown crane - 'yes' or 'no'?  Is it the right one for your modelling era/area of interest - 'yes' or 'n'?  and is it the only one likely to be coming to your favourite retailer where you have placed your pre-order - 'yes' or 'no'?

If you can tick all the yes boxes (like me) then all I/we have t do is wait because whatever else happens I have a very strong feeling it is likely to remain the only 'full fat' detailed 4mm scale  r-t-r breakdown crane we are likely to see.  My pre-order remains in place, very firmly in place.

Spot on.  Members just need to factor in another point - Do you think you'll still be alive and kicking a year from now?  If that is looking dubious, make hay with the Hattons sale and go out surrounded by boxes, including one rather big one

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Delivery 3rd quarter this year apparenlty.

Pullet wheels have been upgraded from moulded to turned as this lets the cords run more smoothly. There's also had to be developent on the packing as these need to be transported under tension if the new owner isn't going to have re-stringing job. 

BR Black for me.

I've just started filling a new coffee jar to pay for it. At £1 a week, I reckon I should have enough when it arrives............

John

Showing at Hattons as expected in stock October - November this year.   By my calculation, you should have precisely sufficient during that window!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/107216/Bachmann_Branchline_38_803_45_ton_Ransomes_and_Rapier_crane_in_BR_gulf_red/StockDetail.aspx

• RMweb Premium

Definitely a gorgeous looking model and yes its desirable . Looking at it has me salivating .   But then put sensible hat on .  What would I do with it ?  On the layout it would take up siding space , so its going to end up staying in its box seldom used . For £212 discounted really head rules over heart!

Definitely a gorgeous looking model and yes its desirable . Looking at it has me salivating .   But then put sensible hat on .  What would I do with it ?  On the layout it would take up siding space , so its going to end up staying in its box seldom used . For £212 discounted really head rules over heart!

I'm similarly struggling, but when the only things in RTR that are realistically going to tempt me have yet to be announced by any manufacturer (Class 100, Sturgeon, 13T Medfit, 06, Fell), with no sign of ever being produced, then I think I could prudently set the funds aside for an NER one.  Maybe....

Pictures supplied to me, copyright and courtesy of Bachmann

attachicon.gif38-800.jpg

attachicon.gif38-802.jpg

attachicon.gif38-803.jpg

I am concerned about the red used on the red one. Hattons describe it as Gulf red, and the photo with a rather dull finish suggests that is a reasonable description. BUT it should be red enamel. A much brighter colour also used on all of the carriages that accompanied the crane - to be finished with a varnish and also ex freight stock which was the same without varnish. Writing is yellow.

Look at this collection https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/stewartlanecrane which shows how bright the colour was, some years after the last application.

Peter Tatlow has described the liveries used on BR cranes in detail  All in the HMRS Journal volume 21

BR Breakdow Crane Liveries - Part 1 The Black Era  part 5 page 131 - 134

BR Breakdow Crane Liveries - Part 2 The Red Era   part 6  page 174 - 180

BR Breakdow Crane Liveries - Part 3   The Yellow Era    part 7  page 210 - 214

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

I am concerned about the red used on the red one. Hattons describe it as Gulf red, and the photo with a rather dull finish suggests that is a reasonable description. BUT it should be red enamel. A much brighter colour also used on all of the carriages that accompanied the crane - to be finished with a varnish and also ex freight stock which was the same without varnish. Writing is yellow.

Look at this collection https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/stewartlanecrane which shows how bright the colour was, some years after the last application.

Peter Tatlow has described the liveries used on BR cranes in detail  All in the HMRS Journal volume 21

Paul

Difficult to tell colours on Bachmann's catalogue photos.

The pictures you link to also show significant variation in colour based on light conditions and camera settings etc.

But obviously NOW is the time to tell Bachmann, before the thing goes into production! Better they double check now than after a batch of several thousand have been made!

• RMweb Gold

Still having one but boy today I am very happy it's not coming out just yet! New Duchess of montrose winging it's way to me! And just spent £550 on a Alam system and two new tyres for my SV650S!

• RMweb Gold

Paul

Hi Paul 

I have taken the liberty of passing your comments and evidence to the relevant members of the Bachmann team. 

• Like 2

Hi Paul 

I have taken the liberty of passing your comments and evidence to the relevant members of the Bachmann team. 

There was no need, I have already done so :nono: . It appears to be Hattons that have invented this description of the colour.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

Really agreeing here. That does look amazing, but with quality and prices both rising steeply, you have really got to want one to commit yourself: I think the days of the casual impulse purchase may well be over. However, when something as good as this does hit the spot for you, I'm sure you'd afford it without many regrets.

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There was no need, I have already done so :nono: . It appears to be Hattons that have invented this description of the colour.

Paul

Thanks Paul

Better they get the information twice than not at all. After all we both have the best intentions at heart.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1