45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

I wonder how many hours of hand assembly go into each model ? I know they try to keep that to a minimum in order to keep costs down but there must have been a lot of human intervention in putting these cranes together.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Or that the plate as printed is too large?

39.png

As jimwal observed, it appears that the conduit took a totally different route on the prototype compared to the model. Plus the model seems to be placed slightly low and is printed on the body, not as a plaque.

Not quite as simple as a black pen, after all, although that would eliminate the more obvious problem.

• 2 weeks later...

A look at some of the latest models and prototypes from Bachmann Europe, filmed on their Roadshow Stand at the Bristol Model Railway Exhibition 2019. Models featured, included the all new GWR 94XX Pannier Tank )0-6-0PT, MR 1532 1P 0-4-4T, NER E1 / J72 Class 0-6-0T and Ransomes & Rapier 45 Ton Breakdown Crane, plus much more, as well as many other exciting developments cross the range.

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Does anyone know where the Nine Elms Breakdown crane was stabled when not in use when the depot was open?

Did it have an allocated space inside the shed or was it elsewhere. From my visits to the depot in the 60's I cannot recall seeing it anywhere.

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, JeremyC said:

Jib up and no outriggers extended?

Not necessarily. They might not be needed for a light lift like this, with nothing on the hook.

I can't spot what WBF is referring to, unless it's the crane working with the chimney down - or starting work with the Stokes bogies still attached.

Edit: no, that doesn't count as you needed to raise the jib to lift the Stokes and the runner out of the way before moving the crane right up to the job.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

The jib support truck is the wrong way around.

That and having the jib up in a low flying aircraft hazard zone...

Cheers

Darius

Well, well, so it is!

198505_001_ADRR_95210_Brighton_2400.jpg.ecad04aa1a4262ac13695a63e069249e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My own position regarding the understandable furore over the current pricing of the Bachmann R and R crane is to some extent tempered by an experience some years ago when modelling a German DB locomotive depot in 2mm scale. The Fleischmann breakdown crane looked superb for "N" scale and was a must have; it too was costly.

However great it looked, and it did look quite splendid on the breakdown road, it spent a great deal of its time motionless (as would the prototypes). Staged engineering work brought it out occasionally but it generally became the most expensive piece of scenery I had ever purchased! It is with this former experience that I am personally unable to justify buying the new Bachmann crane.

I do appreciate the extensive assembly time for models with this degree of fine detail and the associated costs that this incurs. I would not at all wish to dampen the expectations of those who await release; it's their business and their finance affairs - each to his/her own. I don't think in this instance Bachmann are being over-greedy and the cost of the model, although high, will be met by those who desire what will undoubtedly be an icon of RTR production. However, one does wonder if our insatiable appetite for detail might to some degree be detrimental to the hobby in the long term.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I know it would add a little money ( say £10 ) to the model cost, but I fear that the lack of options will be detrimental to sales.

As a Southern Region modeller, apart from the cost I will not consider buying a first ( ? only ? ) batch model, as the colour version ( black ) that I want is not available in the Southern Railway/Region version, why get the right colour, but not the right detailed version ?   Now Bachmann have produced the moulds for all four regions and all that would be required is smaller runs of each in the different liveries.  I am sure that this would increase overall sales for only a relatively small increase in costs.

As you say they have tooled up for a vast amount of detail variations:

Jib runner open (GWR and SR built)

+ toolbox variants

Platforms on the relieving bogies for relevant cranes

Short/Tall chimneys

Inside or outside steam chest

(Info from the video reviewing the 90, J72 and Crane samples from a few years back).

I believe they have focussed on Preserved cranes but in historic liveries which I would think would help their sales of the first batch leaving other variations from the pool of details until a later batch. I cant see them doing a second run for the 2020 catalogue but maybe 2021 once they have sales figures for this batch to then decide on models/figures for a second run.

Breakdown of current models and their locations nowadays:

38-800 London bare based crane, Guildford & Ashford, preserved at the Swanage Railway

38-801 Old Oak Common based crane, was GWR no 16, not preserved.

38-802 The Gorton/Newton Heath crane now at the Bluebell Railway

38-803 Was GWR No 17, from late 60's based at Tyseley, Saltley, Willesden and Crewe. Preserved at the Great Central Railway.

(Info from antics online)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, phil gollin said:

I know it would add a little money ( say £10 ) to the model cost, but I fear that the lack of options will be detrimental to sales.

As a Southern Region modeller, apart from the cost I will not consider buying a first ( ? only ? ) batch model, as the colour version ( black ) that I want is not available in the Southern Railway/Region version, why get the right colour, but not the right detailed version ?   Now Bachmann have produced the moulds for all four regions and all that would be required is smaller runs of each in the different liveries.  I am sure that this would increase overall sales for only a relatively small increase in costs.

I find this a rather strange angle, given that you have no idea how large the production run of each of the first four versions is to be, nor how many subsequent runs of other liveries are planned. It is worth remembering that Bachmann has designed sufficient flexibility into the tooling to model every significant variation that was seen on all of the eight cranes that this model represents. It is unlikely that this would be the case unless further releases in different eras and liveries was already either planned, or at least not being ruled out. It is sad if you really want an SR black crane (but which totem and running number?) and it isn't in the first production runs, but it doesn't mean that you won't get what you want in due course. It's no different really to wanting a particular livery, running number, and variant of you favourite locomotive.

4 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I believe they have focussed on Preserved cranes but in historic liveries which I would think would help their sales of the first batch leaving other variations from the pool of details until a later batch. I cant see them doing a second run for the 2020 catalogue but maybe 2021 once they have sales figures for this batch to then decide on models/figures for a second run.

Given that there were eight prototypes for this model, and six of the eight are preserved, it is hardly surprising that the majority of the first run models are of extant cranes. I don't believe that there is any particular intent behind this, statistically it is largely inevitable. It is more likely that the choice of initial models has been chosen to provide a good spread of regions, eras, and liveries to cater for a broad spread of tastes, however it is unavoidable that it won't please everyone.

I have to say that I do find the amount of whingeing in this thread (the price is too high, the wrong liveries are being produced, it's not the Exmouth Junction crane, Bachmann doesn't know how to run a business, etc., etc.) quite amusing. First time ever there will be an outstanding, highly detailed, ready-to-run model of a British steam crane, but that seems to have been forgotten in an outpouring of woe and misery.

It is interesting that no-one has yet said that what they really want is a yellow version.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It is not "whingeing", it is looking at the expectations of both modellers and Bachmann.

These models are equivalent to the "Blue Pullmans" and other high priced "one-offs".  The ones that were successful (like the Blue Pullmans) did get later releases, others just had a first run and that was it (MAYBE something later).   Bachmann have gone to the effort (AND COST) of producing the regional variations, but then only released them in one time scale ("era").  Now IF they have guessed right and the BR Black and Red versions have been assigned to the highest selling regions then fine - a commercially correct decision.  However, it would SEEM (????) that the most popular regions are the Southern and Western, and their cranes are (initially at least) only going to be available in liveries only suitable for a very short period - this would seem to be commercial madness.

Remember the outcry over the all yellow end Blue Pullman as a choice instead of more popular versions ? 

Considering the only changes required for a Western and Southern version in BR livery are a few more tampo prints over the correct base colour I think Bachmann are being "courageous" in their decisions (but commercially naive).

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Considering the only changes required for a Western and Southern version in BR livery are a few more tampo prints over the correct base colour .......

If that is the case, surely it would not be a huge task to refinish the model for your chosen timescale?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

It would again depend on the right details being fitted.

Yes - that's the point - you choose a model with the correct details and refinish it in your chosen livery.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Considering the only changes required for a Western and Southern version in BR livery are a few more tampo prints over the correct base colour I think Bachmann are being "courageous" in their decisions (but commercially naive).

I doubt it (being commercially naive that is)

Bachmann (and Hornby) have form for not producing the most popular liveries in the initial batch - for example Bachmann's initial run of the E4s saw it come out in unlined early crest while Hornby have ignored a Malachite Green n the first batch of Nelsons.

The Manufacturers work on the assumption that there will be a certain percentage of folk who won't have the patience to wait or who simply don't care so its better business sense to do the least desirable liveries first and leave the 'sure sellers' to a later batch once the novelty value / Wow factor of the first release has worn off.

If you make your tooling costs back on the first 'unpopular' release then you can use the more popular second batch to give you more profit quicker. All a bit smoke and mirrors I know - but got to keep the finance people happy.

Yes there is a chance that if initial sales are seen as 'poor' then you may not get to see the more desirable liveries - we are still waiting for a Schools class in Olvie with deflectors thanks to Hornby rushing out two identical ones (without deflectors) in two years that sat round on retailers shelves for ages.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2