45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

In that case the good news is that ex-GWR 19 later ADRR95213 was repainted yellow in its final years at Laira and was in this livery when preserved (although it is back to black now). I imagine therefore that it is entirely possible that a yellow version will be produced in due course.

Photos in this livery are very scarce, but we have a couple in our gallery (more are welcome, though).

http://www.bdca.org.uk/gallery/index.php/Ransomes-and-Rapier/ADRR95213-Album

Edited by craneman
  • Informative/Useful 1

I can't help but think that's a really bad place to park your loco while you're dismantling the bridge.

Rather like sitting on the wrong part of a tree branch as you saw it off.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, truffy said:

I can't help but think that's a really bad place to park your loco while you're dismantling the bridge.

Rather like sitting on the wrong part of a tree branch as you saw it off.

It has Looney Tunes written all over it!

• Funny 2

34 minutes ago, scots region said:

Sorry to bother, I'm thinking of putting down for either the black or red example, is the boom arm to be functional or is it permanently fixed in place? I ask because if its the latter it would be quite awkward for me. 

The model is packed for shipment with the jib in the raised position. It is a straightforward matter for the owner to lower the jib to the travelling/ at rest position. Full instructions will be provided.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, 'CHARD said:

The model is packed for shipment with the jib in the raised position. It is a straightforward matter for the owner to lower the jib to the travelling/ at rest position. Full instructions will be provided.

Thank you Chard, I shall take this under consideration. Meaning of course that I'll only ask three more times. :jester:

• Funny 2

3 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Out of interest, is that information direct from Bachmann at a show?

5 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

It's going to be a humongous box, then. It would take up a lot less space with the jib down.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I suppose its down to the fact the rigging needs to be tensioned? Otherwise it could come off the pulleys and get into a mess.

I suppose, though its more that if I do order it, it has to then survive a trip down my road, a strip of tarmac seemingly designed before the phenomenon of tourist drivers was understood. 

It will, of course, look a lot more impressive on the shelves in a big box with the jib up. Given the price of it, anything that makes it look worth the money will be valuable. 

[edit]

Actually, though, thinking about it, it's a big unit however you package it - the match trucks and jib support wagon all take up space, too. So maybe having the jib raised will make the best use of what, from the side on, would be an essentially square box. The smaller items can then go either side of the jib rather than end to end with the main body of the crane.

Edited by MarkSG
Had another thought :-)

1 minute ago, scots region said:

I suppose, though its more that if I do order it, it has to then survive a trip down my road, a strip of tarmac seemingly designed before the phenomenon of tourist drivers was understood. 

Given that they would have made it across the world by sea before being handed over the the parcels companies im sure they can survive.

Also I remember reading a segment in the BCC magazine about how each new product and its packaging goes through a drop test to satisfy certain rules. So im sure it will be safe anywhere it goes.

Hi Folks,

How very dare Bachmann make a really most fantastically excellent Ransome Rapier 45 ton crane !!!

Don't these people understand that: 

1. All the best railway breakdown cranes were built at Saint Nicholas Gate in Carlisle by Cowans Sheldon Ltd.
  2. All the other crane manufacturers were rubbish..........except for Craven Brothers of Manchester, obviously.
  3. "I want - I want - I want,  in my hands right jolly well NOW !!!", both the LMS and BR variants of the  30 Ton Cowans Sheldon cranes, one in late 1950's black and one in early 1970's red.
  4. The models must have working propping girders or I shall spit my dummy out.
  5. If Bachmann don't jolly well see to it immediately I may well become so overcome with rage I may suffer an apoplexy.

Oops...... Sorry........Perhaps I did have an apoplexy and hadn't actually noticed, for as if by magic, I seem to have discovered just what I require on my bench.

All's well that ends well, perhaps better to let the Chinese get on with building aircraft carriers instead of toy trains after all.

DSCF0318.JPG.c40a8b90488e3d73fb50126e0923dcba.JPG

LMS 30 ton.

DSCF0319.JPG.80f65633492f3d7486cae94b1b8a63a7.JPG

BR 30 ton.

Should anyone feel triggered by the above article then do tell matron and she will tuck you up in bed with teddy and a nice cup of warm milk.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

It will, of course, look a lot more impressive on the shelves in a big box with the jib up. Given the price of it, anything that makes it look worth the money will be valuable. 

[edit]

Actually, though, thinking about it, it's a big unit however you package it - the match trucks and jib support wagon all take up space, too. So maybe having the jib raised will make the best use of what, from the side on, would be an essentially square box. The smaller items can then go either side of the jib rather than end to end with the main body of the crane.

Terminology check, to avoid any ongoing confusion:

The "jib support wagon" is the "runner" or "match wagon".

What you have referred to as the "match trucks" are the "relieving bogies" or "Stokes bogies".

Precise terminology varied from place to place.

This is a useful site for anything to do with these cranes:

http://www.bdca.org.uk/index.html

Thanks to Craneman and his colleagues for creating and maintaining this site.

Edited by St Enodoc
Acknowledgement added
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Terminology check, to avoid any ongoing confusion:

The "jib support wagon" is the "runner" or "match wagon".

What you have referred to as the "match trucks" are the "relieving bogies" or "Stokes bogies".

Precise terminology varied from place to place.

This is a useful site for anything to do with these cranes:

http://www.bdca.org.uk/index.html

Pedant mode on. A wagon which carries the jib is a runner wagon (the jib runs on it), any wagon that is needed between the crane and the runner wagon is a match wagon (it has to match the distance between the jib foot and the runner). Heavy cranes have weight relieving bogies where some of the weight of the crane carriage is jacked onto separate bogies to relieve the weight.  Many breakdown cranes don't have a match wagon because the distance between the jib foot and the runner wagon  is taken up by the relieving  bogie.

"Propping girders" are outriggers.

Edited by 96701
Added a bit more pedantic detail.
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Pedant mode on. A wagon which carries the jib is a runner wagon (the jib runs on it), any wagon that is needed between the crane and the runner wagon is a match wagon (it has to match the distance between the jib foot and the runner). Heavy cranes have weight relieving bogies where some of the weight of the crane carriage is jacked onto separate bogies to relieve the weight.  Many breakdown cranes don't have a match wagon because the distance between the jib foot and the runner wagon  is taken up by the relieving  bogie.

Strictly speaking, Phil, you are correct  - but the Brighton crane runner in my earlier post is clearly branded "Match":

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103522-45-ton-ransomes-crane/&do=findComment&comment=3564609

As I say, precise terminology varied from place to place - as it did for many other things too. For example, when I went to work in Scotland it took me quite a while to work out what a "battery end" was..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Strictly speaking, Phil, you are correct  - but the Brighton crane runner in my earlier post is clearly branded "Match":

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103522-45-ton-ransomes-crane/&do=findComment&comment=3564609

As I say, precise terminology varied from place to place - as it did for many other things too. For example, when I went to work in Scotland it took me quite a while to work out what a "battery end" was..

In which case, it was labelled incorrectly. Trust me. I joined BR when there were still Civil Engineer's steam cranes and it was my job to help people fix them. Before I could do so, I had to research how they should work which meant that I had to read some very old operating manuals and read blueprints. That is where I learned the difference between match and runner wagons, and it all made sense then. Just because some people paint incorrect terminology on things doesn't make it right.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 96701 said:

In which case, it was labelled incorrectly. Trust me. I joined BR when there were still Civil Engineer's steam cranes and it was my job to help people fix them. Before I could do so, I had to research how they should work which meant that I had to read some very old operating manuals and read blueprints. That is where I learned the difference between match and runner wagons, and it all made sense then. Just because some people paint incorrect terminology on things doesn't make it right.

I think we're saying the same thing Phil. There's an official name for everything but for historical, local dialect, cultural or other reasons there are often several unofficial ones as well.

By the way I remember the steam cranes at Leeman Road too but never worked with them. We only dealt with diesels at Holbeck and Crofton.

• Like 1